PDA

View Full Version : How to stop scraping tyres from guards

DC2-PWR
05-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Hey guys,

My car is undergoing some issues, the front tyres are scraping the fenders when going up my drive way, and the rears start touching the pannel when I'm turning the car at 60km/h +. Then this waterish/burning smell comes from the rear tyres.

I've searched abit but internet is slow, and I havn't found much but people have mentioned "Change rim size". My car is a DC2 VTiR, its on 17" rims and yes I have thought about changing the rims. But last week when I went to a wheel shop, they said even If I change my rims to 16inch, my tyres will still scrub on the guards. I will be discussing with a guy from this forum on purchasing a set of wheels (16inches) but It'll be months till I get them fitted, because shipping from the US takes a very long as I have heard.

And right now my budget isn't sufficant for coilovers yet, but I was wondering if there are any other alternatives?

Heres some pics
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/GU-ARB/P1060643.jpg
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/GU-ARB/P1060644.jpg

Lukey
05-10-2010, 09:10 PM
are your guards rolled? if the fronts are only hitting the fender liner (plastic bit in there) i wouldnt be worried.

DC2-PWR
05-10-2010, 09:13 PM
are your guards rolled? if the fronts are only hitting the fender liner (plastic bit in there) i wouldnt be worried.

Nah man it's not rolled, whatever that is? The front isn't only hitting fender liner, its scrubing the fender itself =[.

newpaddy3
05-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Camber kit, BAM problem solved.

+1 on smaller wheels

Lukey
05-10-2010, 09:16 PM
rolling ur guards will fold the little fender lip you can feel it ur ran your fingers along the inside edge up against the fender and give you a bit more clearance.

id also have a good look at the sidewalls for damage on the backs.

whats rime size and offset you running? and tyre sizes?

DC2-PWR
05-10-2010, 09:19 PM
rolling ur guards will fold the little fender lip you can feel it ur ran your fingers along the inside edge up against the fender and give you a bit more clearance.

id also have a good look at the sidewalls for damage on the backs.

whats rime size and offset you running? and tyre sizes?

I had a feel of the inner metal bit on the backs, it has been bent upwards but its like 2cm away from the tyres.

205/45/17x9 38+ offset.

DC2-PWR
05-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Camber kit, BAM problem solved.

+1 on smaller wheels

Hmmm camber kits, thanks for that. I thought those items were only to make the car sit nice lol.

Lukey
05-10-2010, 09:23 PM
if its not wrecking the tyres i personally wouldnt be worried. scrubbing is fun

xD

pablos8
05-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Just get your guards rolled should solve most of the problems

Just pm Im.kusuma for guard rolling, just tell him pablos sent u should do a half decent price

DC2-PWR
05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
if its not wrecking the tyres i personally wouldnt be worried. scrubbing is fun

xD

Haha, the front RHS tyre looses air by like 9psi everytime it hits the metal bit inside the fender. The rears smell like crap when I turn at moderate speeds. And I have a long trip in 3weeks so I need this problem to vanish :p

Just get your guards rolled should solve most of the problems

Just pm Im.kusuma for guard rolling, just tell him pablos sent u should do a half decent price

Thanks heaps man, I'll get in contact with him now =].

dc2r-0636
05-10-2010, 10:08 PM
what sussy u running ? stock dampers with kings or eibachs? (or otha lowering springs)
or coilovers ? if u got coilovers set them to the stiffest setting

here is a youtube video on what is done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXF4ZcpVufU

DC2-PWR
05-10-2010, 10:11 PM
what sussy u running ? stock dampers with kings or eibachs? (or otha lowering springs)
or coilovers ? if u got coilovers set them to the stiffest setting

here is a youtube video on what is done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXF4ZcpVufU

hey dude,

im running king super lows. thanks for trying to help tho

brandonek1
05-10-2010, 10:17 PM
if it only happens when you're going up your driveway (and i'm assuming big speed bumps aswell) and taking corners at 60km/hr and you're worried about it, just drive like a granny till you sort out a solution lol.. i'd just roll the guards a bit though if i was you.

Super-DA9
06-10-2010, 05:49 AM
King springs. there's you're problem haha. I used to have the same ones and they have way to much give. I would recommend saving up for a decent set of coilovers. :)

Low budget? no worries BC coilovers are quite cheap, usually just over $1000, and they are good quality too. otherwise a set of N+ are good. (I bought those) :)

chargeR
06-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Your tyres are too large in diameter. You need a 40 profile tyre, which should help a lot. Also if that is a 205 on a 9" wide wheel I will eat my own hat. And it is a big hat.

Also with that large diameter tyre there is a good chance that the tyre will bottom out on the pinch weld on the bottom of the front chassis before the upper control arm bottoms out. Check the tyre for marks where it might have been cut up by the sharp pinch weld.

90LAN
06-10-2010, 02:13 PM
looks more like 17x7 wheel to me
your shocks mite be gone too

16x7 wheel will make a difference
your tyre shop doesnt have a clue

mugen_ctr
06-10-2010, 02:47 PM
get smaller wheels lol, 16's is the appropriate size really on civics or intgras

DC2-PWR
06-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Sorry fellas, Lan is correct it is 17x7 I think I pressed 9 by accident.

The guys at STYLISHWHEELS said "My brothers DC2R had the same problem, he went from 17" to 16" and it still scrubbed".

I'll have a look into coilovers but it's really not possible at this stage. Possibly rolling guards might be the go, but people say without coilovers (to make it lower) the car might turn to look like a 4X4.

Thanks for the inputs guys +1 rep for all.

pablos8
06-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Scrubbing is all about the wheels/tyres/height and if your guards aren't rolled then x1000000 more chance your going to scrub with aftermarket height and wheels.

Get your guards rolled first, go to 16's and a better tyre setup, if you still scrub then change your whole sussy setup imo.

I'm scrubbing atm when turning or hitting a bump a bit hard only because my guards aren't rolled yet and I'm running 15s but some fairly chunky tyres.

honda_zivic
06-10-2010, 04:46 PM
dude its plain simple mate.

do the following:

rolled guards
bash the centerline metal thing (splash guard covering it ontop)
rear camber kit.

all this will fix ur prob 100% u dont even need a camber kit.

DC2-PWR
06-10-2010, 04:52 PM
dude its plain simple mate.

do the following:

rolled guards
bash the centerline metal thing (splash guard covering it ontop)
rear camber kit.

all this will fix ur prob 100% u dont even need a camber kit.

Cheers mate, will look into those.

thanks pablos for your input aswell