PDA

View Full Version : NSW Engine swap

deezy
08-10-2010, 01:04 AM
bought an ek with b18c apparently if its 1.6l and jumps up to 1.8l i dont need engineers cert the engines been registered for 2years by the previous owner went to rta to change name over they said i need engines cert can any1 help me out??

jimmeh
08-10-2010, 05:11 AM
Nah u dnt...which rta u go too....if the engine is already registered then u shouldnt need a engineers cert. What did they say wen u told them the motor is already on their system?

Tai
08-10-2010, 06:44 AM
If 1.8litre engine isnt registered to the car then you need to get it blueslipped.

Blueslip is like $60-80 i think.

bennjamin
08-10-2010, 08:35 AM
All you need to do , is take the car to any official blue slipper and get them to "adjustment of records". This updates your engine number to your chassis. This is sent to the RTA , which you will recieve a new rego paper and stocker in the mail with updated details.

Costs $35 or so.

deezy
09-10-2010, 12:41 AM
i bought the car with rego already and umm apparently i heard if it goes up by .2l i dont need a engineers cert. but the previous owner said the engines already rego'd to the car when came to change name over they go the engines a d16y4

markismaximus
09-10-2010, 06:53 AM
i bought the car with rego already and umm apparently i heard if it goes up by .2l i dont need a engineers cert. but the previous owner said the engines already rego'd to the car when came to change name over they go the engines a d16y4

It sounds like it hasn't been changed then. Did you do a REVS check before buying the car? if you did, did you read it carefully. If the engine number had been changed it would be on the REVS document.

Did they allow you to register it in your name with the incorrect engine number?

tiksie
09-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Deezy, do what Ben said.... That's it..........

You've obviously been dicked around by the previous owner.......But the car is yours now so it's your problem, just go get engine number changed at a blueslip place, costed me like $28 to get it done on my EG.

Nothing else to be said.

I'm preety sure they cant refuse transfer of personal details & rego due to an engine number.

na-118
09-10-2010, 10:27 AM
might require proof of purcahse for mtor too

tiksie
09-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I didn't need one, RTA didn't ask, neither did the blueslip place.

pat88c
09-10-2010, 02:31 PM
I didn't need one, RTA didn't ask, neither did the blueslip place.

RTA do ask as i did mine and ask for a JP cert (Justices of the Peace ) document with how u got motor when i handed the blue slip in to transfer engine number over
Normal there a JP at post offices

You best go to the RTA First ask for print out of the your vehicle info (VIn number, Engine number, etc) and then check it with your engine number in your engine block

Then after you check that if incorrect then go get a bluelip to "adjustment of records" to the correct engine number

Got a question do you have anything else which has been change to your Ek? if so may a engineers cert be a good thing to help you next time you get pull over by copper less defects or none

deezy
09-10-2010, 03:18 PM
yeah got cf bonnet and pod thats prob the only defects that need engineers cert.. well the car still has abit of rego ill prob go get a blueslip then
i just heard if the car goes up by .2l u dont need engineers cert from quite a few people
thanks 4 help guyz let u guys know what happens next lol

steeeven
05-02-2011, 03:24 PM
bump didn't want to make a new thread. But once a 1.6L jumps to a 1.8L would it be p plate legal in NSW? I'm from QLD and might be moving back to sydney. I heard about the 15% capacity thing.

bennjamin
05-02-2011, 03:42 PM
bump didn't want to make a new thread. But once a 1.6L jumps to a 1.8L would it be p plate legal in NSW? I'm from QLD and might be moving back to sydney. I heard about the 15% capacity thing.

Well, tell us the exact capacity of both engines. Let's assume your standard engine is 1598cc ( for example) so you times that by 1.15 to get the maximum capacity replacement engine to be installed. Which is 1837cc. The b18b , and all b18c variants are under this capacity.
This means, your brakes are sufficient for this engine increase of capacity and don't require engineering. If you had a 1.3 breeze you would need to upgrade brakes for example

duzy
05-02-2011, 11:26 PM
As bove ^

D16y1/d16a8 = 1590cc most d16's are rated around there
B16a = 1595cc
B18c's are 1797cc

Since you have a d16 = 1590cc increase by 15% = max of 1828.5cc which is way below whats stated 1797cc
However when i got my one blue slipped d16y1 to b18c2 it was stated 1834cc for the b18c2 which was over the limit, he said that rta would check upon the records and then require me to get engineers cert. but so far nothing 2-3yrs + now
but i have no idea how he got 1834cc

Are your rear brakes drums or disc brakes?

steeeven
06-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Well, tell us the exact capacity of both engines. Let's assume your standard engine is 1598cc ( for example) so you times that by 1.15 to get the maximum capacity replacement engine to be installed. Which is 1837cc. The b18b , and all b18c variants are under this capacity.
This means, your brakes are sufficient for this engine increase of capacity and don't require engineering. If you had a 1.3 breeze you would need to upgrade brakes for example

oh i get it now thanks for clearing that up

As bove ^

D16y1/d16a8 = 1590cc most d16's are rated around there
B16a = 1595cc
B18c's are 1797cc

Since you have a d16 = 1590cc increase by 15% = max of 1828.5cc which is way below whats stated 1797cc
However when i got my one blue slipped d16y1 to b18c2 it was stated 1834cc for the b18c2 which was over the limit, he said that rta would check upon the records and then require me to get engineers cert. but so far nothing 2-3yrs + now
but i have no idea how he got 1834cc

Are your rear brakes drums or disc brakes?

thanks for the info. I have dc2 vtir brakes all round so disc brakes. But i'm looking at getting an em1 and have some plans for a b18c2 in there in the future.

tiksie
08-02-2011, 12:10 AM
RTA do ask as i did mine and ask for a JP cert (Justices of the Peace ) document with how u got motor when i handed the blue slip in to transfer engine number over
Normal there a JP at post offices

You best go to the RTA First ask for print out of the your vehicle info (VIn number, Engine number, etc) and then check it with your engine number in your engine block

Then after you check that if incorrect then go get a bluelip to "adjustment of records" to the correct engine number

Got a question do you have anything else which has been change to your Ek? if so may a engineers cert be a good thing to help you next time you get pull over by copper less defects or none

Just sayin'.

RTA didn't ask me.

Vtakk
25-06-2011, 09:44 PM
do people actually pay attention to the engine number details on the RTA rego paper? lol whats the point of changing it. Its your car, doesnt matter if its engine converted or not as long u rego ur car its fine?? why waste money getting blue slip just for making the correct info on the paper? are these people that fussy?? damn man

GSi_PSi
25-06-2011, 10:17 PM
^good luck getting defected with the new engine number or EPa'ed.........if its over 15% either get it engineered or lose registration on the car... fun times

GSi_PSi
25-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Or swap the engine back to original if you have it still.......

markismaximus
26-06-2011, 09:45 AM
do people actually pay attention to the engine number details on the RTA rego paper? lol whats the point of changing it. Its your car, doesnt matter if its engine converted or not as long u rego ur car its fine?? why waste money getting blue slip just for making the correct info on the paper? are these people that fussy?? damn man

taking the approach of "its my car I don't need to change the engine number" can also mean your insurance is void should you be in an accident and your insurance company checks up on your car.

If the engine number hasn't been changed you are technically driving a non-road worthy vehicle....

I don't care if you crash into a tree and write your car off and your insurance doesn't pay out, but when you crash into someone else and your insurance doesn't pay out you will be financially responsible for fixing the other parties car....

that sound like fun?

the $80 it will cost you now will save hassles down the road

subie
26-06-2011, 09:42 PM
where to get engine check if it's stolen ? going to buy engine soon to do engine swap

Cheers

GSi_PSi
27-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Check with rta as far as i know, because they hold the information on the vin number of the car that the engine was originally from. WHen i went to register my b20 to my integra, they said the CRV vin number was showing up that the car was still registered and the wrecker needed to lodge notice of disposal.

enbayz
27-06-2011, 11:53 AM
what if you bought an engine from this forum ?
do you just say that you bought it from like a private dealer ?

GSi_PSi
27-06-2011, 03:01 PM
just get the seller to write you out a recipt with his name, licence, signature,
should be good to go, and make sure to ask if the engine has been de-registered at rta or disposal notice lodged

subie
27-06-2011, 07:07 PM
I called RTA today, without VIN no and no plate , they couldn't give any info at all. they told me to call cop with the engine no and see if cop can give me any info.

i called police, same thing, they said, they couldn't give me any info over the ph as it's not legal !!

don't know what to do ??

GSi_PSi
28-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Okay well first who are you buying the engine from ? Shouldn't they have all the info ?

JSpec89
23-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Quick question. Is it okay for me to put a older engine into my 99 ek. I've heard ppl say it doesn't matter, then again I hear ppl say it has to be newer.

blastnpast
23-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Quick question. Is it okay for me to put a older engine into my 99 ek. I've heard ppl say it doesn't matter, then again I hear ppl say it has to be newer.

After a certain year maybe 96 the engine must be same year or newer to be able to get registered to the vehicles chassis