PDA

View Full Version : S2000 as an everday car?

Darkshrimp
08-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Hey guys, looking to get a s2000 in the next 6 to 12 month :angel: Just wondering, how is it for an everday car?

Or do most people on here use it as a weekend cruise car?

maybe things like...if it's driven too often, it will increase the car maintenance fee too much? what is the realistic fuel consumption and maybe...what about the boot room? (not expecting much here)

Information will be very helpful :D thanks all :)

EvolElmo
08-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Boot is suprisingly good. I've done shopping runs every so often, its only when I need to buy TP that I take another car.

Petrol isn't too bad, I get around 450km per tank (well, not to light being on, but close to it). Over all they're not too bad as DD. But I'd only say the ride isn't very comfortable on Sydney roads.

vyets
08-10-2010, 07:24 AM
I use my car as a daily, no point having a nice car in a garage all day :) unless your at work of corse haha.

Only bad thing about having 2 seats is you can only take one girl home at a time ;) LOLL

boot is small I rekon, can't really fit stuff in it maintenance is easy it dosen't require much.

LEWD
08-10-2010, 07:27 AM
No problem here, drive it every day, to and from work. For everyday things, the boot is big enough I find, shopping, work stuff and gym kit all fit in there no worries.

I also get off on the hateful looks I get from people when stuck in traffic on a gorgeous morning enjoying the sun. Id only consider a winter DD, but winter just passed and it wasnt too bad.

asps91
08-10-2010, 07:55 AM
I hate putting Km's on mine, lol.

I know its there to be driven but its only ever taken out on sundays.

I believe taking it out on weekends only keeps the enjoyment for the car. I look forward to the drive all week and i still have the biggest smile the moment i start it up and drive out of my driveway, and Ive owned it for 6 Months.

I dont want to loose that feeling.

vyets
08-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Had my car for nearly 3 years, and if I don't drive it for a week I feel weird.. LOL! Gotta take it out every few days, even if it's just going down the road to the milk bar because the "long way home" is always worth it.

asps91
08-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Lol, i have a disease.

My car clicked over to 90 000kms on sunday. At 89 999 i pulled over, took some deep breaths and slowly took of cringing all the way to 90 000.

blackouT
08-10-2010, 09:13 AM
use mine as a daily lol! cant stand not driving mine :D lol asps91 i did that wen i mine hit 99999 haha boot is a lil small but

Ferrari
08-10-2010, 09:39 AM
I used mine as a daily for 3 years, bought a ek civic to use as a daily, and I sold it 6 months later as driving that pos nugget aged me! Then I bought a type r to daily and sold that as it competed with me modding my S and I wasn't as passionate about the R. Now I have a nice daily and the S2000 still comes out 3 times a week I love it 5 years on!

Oh and I have never ever once got more than 400kms out of a tank, I drive it as it was intended and I don't even speed just accelerate quickly and heel toe everywhere it's a drivers car not a hybrid.

fromdeeeast
08-10-2010, 10:06 AM
I used mine as a daily for 3 years, bought a ek civic to use as a daily, and I sold it 6 months later as driving that pos nugget aged me! Then I bought a type r to daily and sold that as it competed with me modding my S and I wasn't as passionate about the R. Now I have a nice daily and the S2000 still comes out 3 times a week I love it 5 years on!

Oh and I have never ever once got more than 400kms out of a tank, I drive it as it was intended and I don't even speed just accelerate quickly and heel toe everywhere it's a drivers car not a hybrid.

+1 to this!

Really shits me how people go to buy quick cars and powerful cars and always ask about fuel efficency. If you want a fuel efficient 4 cylinder get a civic or a corolla. Why drive like a bitch to save $10 a tank and lose all the enjoyment.

I have an s2000 as my everyday car, its my only car. Its awesome yes, but lacks in a few things and depending on how picky you are. Boot space isn't too bad to be honest, its small but not horrible.

Fuel wise I get around 450kms a tank, but thats with alot of highway driving.

I don't see a maintenance fee going up, you will still service it every 5000kms and service according to log books theres no way around it. But realistically its not a built car running a twin plate etc so you really shouldnt get into much maintenance problems its an NA 4 cylinder. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Overall its a car that you will either hate it or love it for everyday driving depending on how anal you are.

JamieP
08-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I use mine as a daily driver. Sometimes I wish I had another car as a daily driver purely for milage sake as I drive back and forth from geelong to melbourne for work about 3 days a week so my milage is getting quite high (i just clocked 173,000 :{ ). But even when I had a prelude sitting around at home to use as a daily driver I just couldnt do it. The drive of the s2000 is so addictive that I feel I would be crazy to drive anything else when I have to option of the S sitting there. Ive got coilovers on my car so its a stiffer ride than most cars but Ive become used to that and while people complain about the seats/driving position I actually find it to be very comfertible. And as far as fuel consumption goes I find it suprisingly good. Its actually slightly better on fuel than my prelude was believe it or not.

The only real downsides to using the S as a daily driver is the limited boot space and the fact you only have one passanger seat. Also you'll have to say good bye to shagging girls in your car as well because that proves to be some what impossible :P

vyets
08-10-2010, 10:42 AM
The only real downsides to using the S as a daily driver is the limited boot space and the fact you only have one passanger seat. Also you'll have to say good bye to shagging girls in your car as well because that proves to be some what impossible :P

True story!! LOL, top down is the only way but then you get footprints on your center console n shit LOL

Fuel efficiency matters because it's a Honda one of the main reasons why people buy NA cars :P My mate's s15 gets better fuel eco then me and it's faster, FML.

JamieP
08-10-2010, 10:46 AM
lol, top down or on the hood of the car if your feeling extra adventurous .... but make sure she's not a fatty as I just dont think the aluminum bonnet could take it :P

zhong
08-10-2010, 11:00 AM
I use mine as a DD, and it's alright.. I came from an Audi TT, so major discomfort issues there. But you get over it, and the car is just metal and engine, so you get alot of sounds through the body and everything every now and then - well compared to a Audi anyway. But it's alright, I only get about 430kms on a tank, and that's when the light comes up as I do alot of highway driving but meh.. Only costs me $60 to fill it up with premium octane fuel. But when it opens up some VTEC, all those little problems seem to get drowned away with the intake kit. LOL

But I do agree with you vyet, my old Nissan probably had triple the torque, double the horses yet still managed to do 550-600km a tank (55L).... FML

JamieP
08-10-2010, 11:14 AM
How did you find the drive of the TT in comparison to the s2k? power and handling wise?

One thing Ive always loved about the TT is the interior is beautiful. My mate has one and you really do feel as if your sitting in a luxury sports car. But exterior wise I much prefer the s2k

vyets
08-10-2010, 11:58 AM
lol, top down or on the hood of the car if your feeling extra adventurous .... but make sure she's not a fatty as I just dont think the aluminum bonnet could take it :P

LOL on the fender is perfect height hahahah

sif tubbos!! NEVER!!!

STAiN MASTER
08-10-2010, 12:28 PM
LOL on the fender is perfect height hahahah

sif tubbos!! NEVER!!!

what if you have ASM or CF fenders!

zhong
08-10-2010, 12:43 PM
How did you find the drive of the TT in comparison to the s2k? power and handling wise?

One thing Ive always loved about the TT is the interior is beautiful. My mate has one and you really do feel as if your sitting in a luxury sports car. But exterior wise I much prefer the s2k

TT shi*s all over the S2K in terms of comfort and driveability, power isn't bad.. I had a MKI 225HP Quattro nice and zippy - that's all you really want for a luxury sports. But yeah, I do prefer the stance of an S2K more and the itch that comes with it to replace things that you don't really need to replace. I sold it because I felt like I wanted a convertible...... Next car would probably be MKII though.

Darkshrimp
08-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks to all the helpful reply guys.

Yea I didn't expect prius fuel economy but just wanted a rough figure.

And I just saw a video yesterday of a guy fitting a huge lugguage into the boot of the thing, and it seems surprisingly big.

After reading all the comments. I'm want the car so much more now.

Thanks all :)

vyets
08-10-2010, 01:39 PM
what if you have ASM or CF fenders!

what about it? LOL my girl dosen't weigh that much.

STAiN MASTER
08-10-2010, 06:22 PM
in the passanger seat top down is the way to go.

ludecrs
08-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Getting back on topic.....

Darkshrimp
08-10-2010, 06:46 PM
I guess the discussion covers one aspects of everyday use of car? hehe

vyets
08-10-2010, 09:09 PM
I guess the discussion covers one aspects of everyday use of car? hehe

True Story

Don't worry one day you'll join in xD

greek_rambos2k
08-10-2010, 09:48 PM
i use mine everyday. i like that its 2 seats so people dont sting a ride and my mates stop calling me to move stuff (use to have a 4wd). boot is a bit small tho but who cares at 9,000rpm...

Darkshrimp
09-10-2010, 12:30 AM
i use mine everyday. i like that its 2 seats so people dont sting a ride and my mates stop calling me to move stuff (use to have a 4wd). boot is a bit small tho but who cares at 9,000rpm...

oh yea, the 9000 rpm is definitely one of it's tempting parts :)

I'm getting pushed closer and closer towards the s2000 now. :honda:

Darkshrimp
09-10-2010, 12:31 AM

oh yea, the 9000 rpm is definitely one of it's tempting parts :)

I'm getting pushed closer and closer towards the s2000 now. :honda:

tay113
09-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Guys, its like an love affair with driving the car around city till i get desensitize plus sore back and stop for 2days.Than jump into my older car for r and r ,not worry about rain,thunder storm nor bird poo and than jump back to the s2000 after a day or two.That always kick start the adrenaline rush.It becomes a cycle and such a joy.

gamgam
09-10-2010, 01:21 PM
True story!! LOL, top down is the only way but then you get footprints on your center console n shit LOL

Fuel efficiency matters because it's a Honda one of the main reasons why people buy NA cars :P My mate's s15 gets better fuel eco then me and it's faster, FML.

+1 to the footprints, as well as that I kept thinking *oh god my seat bolsters are getting worn* lol

DvS-
09-10-2010, 02:24 PM
i barely hit 400 km out of a tank.. :s
with some highway driving i get close.. rarely do i hit over 400.. lol

greek_rambos2k
09-10-2010, 06:01 PM
i barely hit 400 km out of a tank.. :s
with some highway driving i get close.. rarely do i hit over 400.. lol

i get over 500 a tank :| lol

Ferrari
09-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Today I got 220 kms out of a tank lol on the track.

Darkshrimp
09-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but how big is the s2000 tank? 45L?

greek_rambos2k
09-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but how big is the s2000 tank? 45L?

50L tank

DvS-
10-10-2010, 03:21 PM
question...
how low do u guys let the fuel indicator go..
i fill up at about 3 bars.. gets scary with 1-2 bars with the fuel light on.. rofl..

zhong
10-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I let all my bars go away with the fuel light one, because it's electronic you can't really trust it 100%.. So i trust my own calculation so I reset my meter every time I fill up a full tank.. When I hit 420 or thereabouts, I fill up.. From E-F, I pour 45L.. Maybe there's 5 in reserve, not sure but I never filled more than 45L. And LOL @ Worn seat bolsters.... x__x

greek_rambos2k
10-10-2010, 06:42 PM
first day i got my car. i ran out of petrol before i got to the station. 10m walk with a jerry can :) but yeh ill fill up at 2 bars. a good indication of 'ur about to run out' is if u floor it ur car is smart and will actualy limit ur revs and wont let u vtec

which is depressing.

DC4Integra98
10-10-2010, 10:11 PM

lol an s15 has a 65L tank and I only get about 400km out of it max.

s2000 with 50L tank = 400km+ sounds awesome to me :P

fung9420
25-10-2010, 04:27 PM
s2k is definitely a better daily driver than the Rx8.
love the 9000rpm, also love the convertible while i had the mk1 TT and the look of s2k
seem i should sell my 8 for a s2k this summer.

foowoei69
25-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Best daily driver ever!!! Lol.. No one can bum lifts so ur not a taxi.. And enough space for u and all ur crap. If there's a passenger, then crap goes in the boot. The space is sufficient for groceries. Depending how many days worth ur buying. The shelf for the roof is kinda usable. Just don't put small things on it coz there's holes on the ends of it. My jumpers sleeve fell in and on a rainy day when I found it. So it got soaked on the sleeve that fell in. Remember to remove the stuff before u open the roof tho.
It's abit stiff stock. Only if ur area is really bumpy like train tracks kinda bumps harsh squarish bumps But the pss9 softest on feel better on bumps than stock and make it even better daily. I'd like to try some different sway bars.
I believe that different years are slightly different in suspension as well amongst other things. I'm not sure how different they are.
Like everything else it's personal. if u like Hondas and the way they drive handle and feel. Especially if u tried or had a type r. Then u should really try one out. Its probably the most fun Honda there is.
The fun makes up for the little dramas like space. Even tho tight. Its got Great ergonomics for people that aren't too tall is comfy as... Everything is in the right place. And feels well built.

pilotb777_300
26-10-2010, 07:46 AM
I can confirm what has just been said. Car is fine for every day driving. Speaking from personal experience and as some people on this forum might know I spent a LONG time debating the practicality the usefullness of this car as an every day driver. After 4 years of wanting this car and posting up hundreds of posts on every S2K forum there is, hoping for someone to convince me to get it, I eventually chickend out after selling me euro and bought a Mazda 3 MPS. This was last year. The car was great, had heaps of power and pacticality. Everytime I saw an S2000 out while driving though I regreted every minuted of having the MPS and sold it less than 6 month after buying it. I got lucky and didnt lose much money on it this time round but I could have easily lost thousands. Anyways I went on the hunt for an S2000 and waited patiently untill the perfect one showed up at a honda dealer in melbourne. The car only had 1 previous older owner with low km, never been modifed, never been hit, roof doesnt have a scratch or tear anywhere and it came with full tracible service history. This was a year ago and I havent looked back since. All my worries about boot space, practicality, drivability etc.. was a distant memory. I'm 1.87m tall and I fit in the car perfectly. Heard room is great, comfort levels are good and driving position has got to be one of the best around. The only time I sometimes take the mrs car when going out is when we go shopping centres or somewhere dodgy where I feel my roof is in danger of getting slashed ! lol other than that the car goes everywhere I go.
I only have 1 negative thing to say about the car... The mechanical noise levels with the roof up and windows closed can sometimes do ur head in after a long day at work and stuck in traffic. The gear box is loud, gear changes at low RPM can be a little cluncky and I think the drivetrain/transmistion on the car is a whole is just plain loud ! I also have a slight diff whine but with new diff fluid change is barely noticable now.

So looking back over the last few years, my advice is dont over analysise the situation. Once u ask too many people for advice you will get a different opinion from every person and will make ur decision even harder. Take one for a test drive, sit in it for a fwe minutes and you will know straight away if you fit comfortable or not. As for the car being an everyday driver I would say without a doubt IT IS. Take your time, look for a good example and you cant go wrong.

3AM
26-10-2010, 10:07 AM
the one thing that annoys me slightly with the s2k as a daily is the blind spot, compared to previous cars, its quite difficult to see when you are reversing out of nose to kerb parking... luckily the boot is so short so you don't have to stick out much... :P

I used to daily an sw20 mr2, it was a bit better on fuel, but no where near as fun. boot is bigger in the honda also.

Darkshrimp
28-10-2010, 04:41 AM
So looking back over the last few years, my advice is dont over analysise the situation. Once u ask too many people for advice you will get a different opinion from every person and will make ur decision even harder.

I actually really want to get one, but just seeing if there's something i should know, also needed a little push in the right direction, as to be honest, I never thought of me as a convertible guy

so i guess the best place i can get such information would be here :D

Now have to start looking for a good one

Perth is lack of cars...especially S2ks :(

euromandeluxe
28-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Drive one, or at least be driven in one top down, and you'll be sold

sae
28-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Drive one, or at least be driven in one top down, and you'll be sold
I know what you mean, I've always wanted one and going for a ride in my mates s2k just made me want one even more haha

fromdeeeast
30-10-2010, 05:51 PM
s2000 fuel efficiency is win!

I just got 500ks from 1 tank :O dunno how tho

DreadAngel
30-10-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm slowly hunting around for one...

Geez that white one in NSW got snapped up so damn quick...

PeppeX
30-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Why is everyone looking for a S2k!

Btw whats wrong with this one? Been up for a while and its so cheap... http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?trecs=106&tsrc=allcarhome&__Ntk=CarAll&Cr=9&__Ntt=S2000&R=9274132&__Qpb=true&__D=S2000&silo=1011&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_RankSort_Int32 |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=S2000&__No=75&__sid=12BFF18D154C&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&seot=1&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode%20matchany

euromandeluxe
31-10-2010, 06:17 AM

summer's coming. :)

looking at kms and dollars, that car's an amazing deal.

..which probably tells most people it's too good to be true.

drsilliez
31-10-2010, 07:00 PM

Btw whats wrong with this one? Been up for a while and its so cheap... http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?trecs=106&tsrc=allcarhome&__Ntk=CarAll&Cr=9&__Ntt=S2000&R=9274132&__Qpb=true&__D=S2000&silo=1011&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_RankSort_Int32 |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=S2000&__No=75&__sid=12BFF18D154C&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&seot=1&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode%20matchany

my friend had a look at it and apparently its dodgy. yes the kms and price is awesome. plates in qld (pics), advertised in victoria, and when my friend called the guy, he said the car is located in tasmania and wanted a deposit (internet banking transfer) before he would take the car out to be viewed. wtf

PeppeX
31-10-2010, 07:39 PM
my friend had a look at it and apparently its dodgy. yes the kms and price is awesome. plates in qld (pics), advertised in victoria, and when my friend called the guy, he said the car is located in tasmania and wanted a deposit (internet banking transfer) before he would take the car out to be viewed. wtf

Oh yeah i just realised the plates were QLD. Thanks for the heads up. Dodgy bastards online, trying to scam ppl