PDA

View Full Version : 95 Vtir with 200 000 - Should I

Pre95
08-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Hey all Im a noob and im old so would like some help.

Im thinking about buying a 95 vtir with 200000 the guy says the timing belt hasnt been done ( not sure if he ment ever or since he has had it). The body is great as is the interior.
Is 5000 too much for this car.

Just worried about the engin.

How much would I be looking to spend to drop another Vtir in it or maybe get this motor worked on.

Phased
08-10-2010, 11:38 PM
200,000kms isn't much for a Honda engine if it's been maintained properly (especially a Larger Capacity one). However, If the timing belt hasn't been changed... (not THAT big of an issue... although it's not wise) then you would have to question the rest of the vehicles maintenance.

Simple way to check. Get the engine compression tested and looked at buy a trusted mechanic (forget the RACV/State Road inspections, usually they're garbage, only find obvious things). Other things to worry about would be the clutch etc. It's not cheap to get a clutch replaced if you have to pay for labour.

That seems like a fair price if it's in the condition your saying.

It all comes down to the risk you're willing to take. If you don't mind spending money on maintenance or on a replacement engine if it turns out to be run down... Then go ahead... or pay the extra to get one in better condition.

Tai
09-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Mate has a bb4 with over 400,000kms and still going.

As long as they have maintained and serviced it well it should last a lot longer than 200k

Pre95
09-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Just a big thankyou ppl. was very much appreciated.

ThePacman
09-10-2010, 05:52 PM
I've recently done my major service late at 230000. Though oil always gets done every 5000 regardless.
I've dropped a couple of thousand this time making sure everything is just right. I'm now sitting on 240000 and my engine is virtually better than new.

A simple major service will cost slightly over $1200. Factor this into the cost of the car when you decide. But keep in mind that the car is barely halfway through it's viable engine life. This service HAS to be done. But once done this motor should be as good as new if the car is in as good condition as you describe...

Impulse4Integra
18-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Hey all Im a noob and im old so would like some help.

Im thinking about buying a 95 vtir with 200000 the guy says the timing belt hasnt been done ( not sure if he ment ever or since he has had it). The body is great as is the interior.
Is 5000 too much for this car.

Just worried about the engin.

How much would I be looking to spend to drop another Vtir in it or maybe get this motor worked on.

Mate, i baught a red 95 lude with 200,000 a month ago haha.
if its in good nick, pay no more than $8000, average nick no more than $6000

53xxu
10-11-2010, 10:04 PM
yeah bud, at 200,000 your looking at your biggest service, might be costing you around 700-1000 depending on where you go as the 200,000km service seems to consist of the largest amount of checks and replacements. Aside from that, if you are looking to replace the engine, the h22a is one of the cheaper honda engines in comparison to b series etc. You will be looking at around 1-3k depending on how good of a deal you can find. At the end of the day, 5k is a pretty sweet deal, you will just need a good service.