PDA

View Full Version : thermostat

jyh888
12-10-2010, 11:44 PM
hey guys looking for some feedback and your thoughts on the following:

Recently at track, my fn2r oil temp has reached around 130 degrees after 3-4 hot laps and ive decided not to install an oil cooler because i only intend to track the car during colder seasons and it primarily a daily street car.

Now if i install an aftermarket thermostat and fanswitch like the mugen one, will that help reduce temps a littler or allow me to run longer laps/time before reaching 130? Is it ok to run for street? i.e. will i have problems getting the car to optimum temps and is it safe to use with standard factory ECU?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

AE092
13-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Are you talking about a thermostat for the cooling system or for the oil system? Either way, you should be fine; they just open up at a lower temp to cool the car down.

jyh888
13-10-2010, 12:39 AM
im referring to the thermostat for cooling system, do they aid in cooling down oil temps too?

nicwan8
14-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Both opens up at lower temperature.

If done properly; i.e: having a thermostat that opens up at "high" and closes at "under optimum", factory ECU should be fine.

Oil temp must be at optimum temperate for engine to work at full capacity; else might cause long term damages to the engine (by confusing the ECU to tell the engine to work harder)

BTW: 130 degrees for oil is very high IMO, what's your water temp ?