PDA

View Full Version : ek gli with rear drum brakes WDF ?

najdi
14-10-2010, 10:59 PM
hey guys recently bought a ek with the intentions to do it up motor and all...got it really cheap and it is a genuine gli to my knowledge being power options and rev gauge on cluster but its got rear drum brake? its a 96 model..has the guy possibly just done the window conversion and gli cluster...your thoughts? kinda tripped out when i saw it l0l

update: d16y8 is from ? normal vti motor? coz i could of swore once i serviced it and put my intake on it and noticed a vtec solinoid im sure its vtec sohc...coz 5500 was def a lil roar and faster revs

na-118
14-10-2010, 11:37 PM
take some pictures, whats it say on the rego paper ?

munkaii
15-10-2010, 12:37 AM
gli also has swaybar mounting holes on the front lcas and the interior seat trims are different. gli may also have mirrors on the sun visors inside the car.

na-118
15-10-2010, 12:48 AM
colour coded mirrors ?

ITEAZR
15-10-2010, 07:44 AM
call honda do a VIN number check

bennjamin
15-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Ek1s come with drum rears what's the issue ?

Later hatch ek1's and all sedan ek1's came with 4 discs ( same brakes as ek4/em1)

munkaii
15-10-2010, 08:05 AM
oh really ben? so there were preface ek1 glis floating around with rear drums?

mugen_ctr
15-10-2010, 09:34 AM

Later hatch ek1's and all sedan ek1's came with 4 discs ( same brakes as ek4/em1)

But only em1/ek4 had abs if im not mistaken, or was it all models that came with it as option....

najdi
15-10-2010, 07:40 PM
ive got abs aswell..well the light comes on when first start the car then goes away as per normal...

najdi
15-10-2010, 07:46 PM
call honda do a VIN number check

colour coded everything but im pretty sure mirrors were red b4 mouldings were sprayed

najdi
15-10-2010, 07:47 PM

i just want to verify if its a genuine gli or cxi man...also has sohc vtec engine but doesnt say vtec on the rocker cover as per normal eg vti engines

mugen_ctr
15-10-2010, 09:42 PM
as far as im aware, only the older d16's had it on the rocker, eg5 had it on, cant remember which other though, i think crx an one more, mine doest say it (d16y8), wished it did though :(

Are u sure its a y1? because if it is, than its a older motor than y4 from ek1's, y1 is from eg5 vti

If it is a y1, than someone has done a engine swap, or maybe a mini-me swap, with the vtec head

check the engine stamp to confirm it

najdi
16-10-2010, 12:30 AM
as far as im aware, only the older d16's had it on the rocker, eg5 had it on, cant remember which other though, i think crx an one more, mine doest say it (d16y8), wished it did though :(

Are u sure its a y1? because if it is, than its a older motor than y4 from ek1's, y1 is from eg5 vti

If it is a y1, than someone has done a engine swap, or maybe a mini-me swap, with the vtec head

check the engine stamp to confirm it

sorry man its a y8 ? so thats clearly sohc vtec yes? but since when do eks come with them...this is my first ek ive owned egs x 4 delsol x 2 integra dc2 n dc5 but first ek l0l

flipfire
16-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Check the stamped engine number to the rego first.

Sounds like its a CXI . Power windows and cluster is an easy conversion. Brakes on the other hand are harder.

ive got abs aswell..well the light comes on when first start the car then goes away as per normal...

I didnt know GLi's can come with ABS. Can u look for the ABS unit and the ABS lines?

na-118
16-10-2010, 01:09 AM
lol the brake conversion is easier the power windows man

mugen_ctr
16-10-2010, 08:22 AM
if its a y8, than some one has done a engine swap from ej8 coupe, non of the hatch back we got here came with y8, only y4's if im not mistaken

boy180
16-10-2010, 04:17 PM
check ur front lca's whether it has a sway bar or not, gli's come with front sways where as cxi's dont come with any

najdi
17-10-2010, 12:00 AM
im putting my money on engine conversion and power option conversion because im having wiring issues with my windows but it has power mirrors n shit..someones done some effort..also on the stamp on the front support it says ej8 ?

henrygiang
17-10-2010, 03:14 AM
you have an ej8 then....? civic coupe from 96-98. it has power windows, mirrors and a tacho standard.

Mikecivic78
17-10-2010, 07:07 PM
you have an ej8 then....? civic coupe from 96-98. it has power windows, mirrors and a tacho standard.

right, + SOHC VTEC D16y8 motor

A coupe is an EJ8 which is VTi, not an Ek GLi

mugen_ctr
18-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Ej8 = Coupe Vti - D16y8 vtec
Ek1 = hatch back - d16y4
Eg5 - hatch back d16y1 vtec

Its obvious the last owner has done something here, check ur rego to the engine code an vin to be sure that its a legit swap
things is any d-series is a direct drop in, without changing the mounts, unlike goin from d to b-series

Im not sure as to electrical problem though

if the ek1's did come with abs, than that would mean those with abs drums can swap the ek1's abs disc brakes instead of using ek4's/em1's correct?

najdi
19-10-2010, 08:04 PM
lol its not a ej its a ek..relax im not that noob..i no what shape it is and personally cant stand coupes or sedans..this is probly my 10th honda also..but my first ek

Mikecivic78
19-10-2010, 08:35 PM
.also on the stamp on the front support it says ej8 ?

You didnt mention the EK's shape, so we assumed it was a coupe.

Alvis
19-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Ej8 = Coupe Vti - D16y8 vtec
Ek1 = hatch back - d16y4
Eg5 - hatch back d16y1 vtec

Aren't EK1's sedan only? I thought all hatches were EK4's in Oz? :confused:

flipfire
19-10-2010, 09:42 PM
EK1 can be hatch too

EK4 (vtir) is hatch only

Raztaz
19-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Aren't EK1's sedan only? I thought all hatches were EK4's in Oz? :confused:

EK1's are CXi and GLi hatches and also include GLi and VTI sedans.
VTI sedan had ABS

viinnh
19-10-2010, 09:47 PM
lol crashed car with 2 halfs of the car joined together?

Alvis
19-10-2010, 11:27 PM
HA maybe that's what happened lol ;)

Ok cool, thanks for heads up flipfire and Raztaz :)

mugen_ctr
19-10-2010, 11:30 PM
EK1's are CXi and GLi hatches and also include GLi and VTI sedans.
VTI sedan had ABS

Does that mean that the sedans abs brakes interchangable with the ej8 abs rear drums? or is it only ek4's

VT3C
20-10-2010, 12:28 PM
man post some photos allready FFS !!! engine bay, VIN plate and engine code stamp.

there was a 'GLi' coupe guys that was non VTEC and had drums rear.. came with EJ8 chassis code as far as I know.

posibility it was involved in a rear-end accident and the panel-beaters just phoned honda parts department "Yeah maaaayte it's a '98 Hondaaahh Coupe Aaaay" and they prob just sent the parts for the GLi coupe (decal etc for boot).

EJ8 "VTi" coupe chassis had D16Y8 (SOHC VTEC) and the valve cover didnt have any 'VTEC' logo etc.. just the solenoid there near the dizzy.

Raztaz
20-10-2010, 12:29 PM
the sedans dont have drums, discs all round, so interchangable with ek4 i guess? (well they have the same size rotors as the ek4)

mugeneration
21-10-2010, 09:19 AM
I've got a 96 EK Gli sedan and it has rear drum breaks? I know theres models out there with 4 disc breaks though. Check the build type and date. Mine was built in 96 but I think the build type might be 95 or something like that?

Alvis
21-10-2010, 09:24 AM
that's weird huh - my Dad has a 96 EK1 sedan GLi and like you said 4 disks all 'round...

najdi
21-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Its not a sedan or coupe but found out it has a ej8 frontcut abs system d16y8 engine n all that

mugeneration
21-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Was it an optional extra to go 4 discs? I think it might have been as any time I've gone for parts etc they always ask whether it was disc or drum? Is it an auto or manual (out of interest), maybe the autos were 4 disc? Just guessing at this stage haha

Alvis
21-10-2010, 10:56 AM
have we seen a pic of this car yet...???

najdi
21-10-2010, 12:00 PM
All gud alredy figured wat it is il post a build thread soon

azzar
01-01-2011, 04:41 AM
i got a 98 ek1 prefacelift... my car comes with 4 disc brake does that means it got sum work done to it or would it be stock?
it got build on feb if that helps? :S

Mikecivic78
01-01-2011, 09:39 AM
i got a 98 ek1 prefacelift... my car comes with 4 disc brake does that means it got sum work done to it or would it be stock?
it got build on feb if that helps? :S

Is it a hatch? sedan? gli or cxi or vti?

Alvis
01-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I can only speak for sedans - GLi and VTi's all came with 4 disk brakes.

Off memory I think CXi hatchbacks came with drums, other variants had disks all 'round - can someone confirm?

henrygiang
01-01-2011, 02:10 PM
ej8 came with rear drums, em1 cam with disks all round

TheSaint
01-01-2011, 06:41 PM
D16y8 only ever came in the coupe VTI (EK8) - the sedan VTI got the D16y5 and the average gearbox

early GLI did have drums in the back and as far as i know ABS was an option on all models from the EK up

the D16y1 / D16z6 is from the EG VTI

sounds like the car was in an accident and patched up by a wrecker lol

mugen_ctr
01-01-2011, 06:47 PM
man id kill to have rear disc brakes atm....lol,

anyone selling a rear brake conversion kit, let me knw...abs is a must :D

TheSaint
01-01-2011, 07:11 PM

yeah so would i - my car needs it bad - but i have no $$$ so =/

Alvis
02-01-2011, 09:18 AM
are drums really that bad compared to disks...?

mugen_ctr
02-01-2011, 11:12 AM
day to day its alright, but spirited driving, it really caves in... cant stop as much as u like... which is dangerous

Mikecivic78
02-01-2011, 11:16 AM

Short answer: Yes

IMO Honda shouldn't have cheaped put on the EJ8 Coupe. Same with EM1 seats. Penny pinching.

EK1.6LCIV
02-01-2011, 11:10 PM
day to day its alright, but spirited driving, it really caves in... cant stop as much as u like... which is dangerous

youre kidding right?

change front pads and rotors, then get wheels that can vent better

Ive taken my car to lakeside for the whole day and no issues, drive at a pace that is spirited, driven over most of the eastern parts of oz, not a problem with the brakes and have kept the car in good nick and its at 300,000kms

engine braking helps too ;)

Ive never seen a gli with drums... sounds like someone has done what Ive considered and bought one, swapped their drums for the gli's disc conversion and flogged it off, which no one would ever pick up

TheSaint
02-01-2011, 11:22 PM
yeah i have to use engine braking alot more with drums

i think going from a Dc2 with ABS and discs all round to an EG with no ABS and rear drums - you really notice the difference

Dash
03-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I've seen a few ek hatches with drum brakes...in melbourne they are everywhere..

mugen_ctr
04-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Short answer: Yes

IMO Honda shouldn't have cheaped put on the EJ8 Coupe. Same with EM1 seats. Penny pinching.

Spot on, which means i gotta fork out more for good seats an a proper rear brake setup, wish id gotten a em1 from the start now that i look back

Drums are very limited i found, they tend to not provide the correct brake balance an power when going into a corner, i dont feel the back end stop at all, feels uncomfortable, seems that all the front brakes are doin all the job, now as far as i know, yea fwd do have that trait, but from my car, it seems the back end brakes do nothing at all...

blastnpast
04-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Spot on, which means i gotta fork out more for good seats an a proper rear brake setup, wish id gotten a em1 from the start now that i look back

Drums are very limited i found, they tend to not provide the correct brake balance an power when going into a corner, i dont feel the back end stop at all, feels uncomfortable, seems that all the front brakes are doin all the job, now as far as i know, yea fwd do have that trait, but from my car, it seems the back end brakes do nothing at all...

Arnt the rears only for handbrake?

mugen_ctr
04-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Arnt the rears only for handbrake?

Nope, all 4 brakes have to be used to stop the car safely, which is why its best to have disc all around... drums are cheap an very old fashion, they dont have the required stopping power as any disc's

I think with civics with drums the brake bias is pretty much all put towards the front, like %80 front an %20 rear, thought im not sure, but thats what it feels like

Alvis
04-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Nope, all 4 brakes have to be used to stop the car safely, which is why its best to have disc all around... drums are cheap an very old fashion, they dont have the required stopping power as any disc's

maybe a little off topic - but I saw a friends NEW 2010 Ford Fiesta and it had drums on the rears! It's like year 2010 (well, 2011 now) and i can't believe manufacturers like Ford - we're not talking Great Wall here - are still producing cars with drums. Should be illegal IMO.

... we'll give you a car that has stability control, ABS etc but you get drums at the rear WTF honestly

mugen_ctr
04-01-2011, 11:17 AM
maybe a little off topic - but I saw a friends NEW 2010 Ford Fiesta and it had drums on the rears! It's like year 2010 (well, 2011 now) and i can't believe manufacturers like Ford - we're not talking Great Wall here - are still producing cars with drums. Should be illegal IMO.

... we'll give you a car that has stability control, ABS etc but you get drums at the rear WTF honestly

All about cost saving measure... anything to make the car cheaper to manufacture they will pretty much do, even on the new yaris they have drums, a car that size shouldnt be using drums at all

Mikecivic78
05-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Drums are the norm for sub $17K new cars, even in 2010. No surprises there. Your mate shouldn't have gotten the base model.

Yaris is a slug, so why bother putting on 4 wheel discs?

Cars look wack with alloys where you can see the drums. So un-sporty.

get a rear disc conversion if you are making more than 70kw at the wheels.

TypeRice
04-04-2011, 12:21 AM

Why so? isnt the rear breaks only used when you apply the handbreak, which is only when you are parking??? makes no diff to your driving as it uses your front breaks whilst driving?

TheSaint
04-04-2011, 12:23 AM
lol did you even read the last page of posts?

mugen_ctr
04-04-2011, 12:48 AM
Why so? isnt the rear breaks only used when you apply the handbreak, which is only when you are parking??? makes no diff to your driving as it uses your front breaks whilst driving?

I jus realized my old my post where lol, 3 months later, i done the conversion, couldnt be more happy :D, and also the ej8 uses the same prop valve as em1, so no need to swap the prop valve over....

have u ever watched a race? notice that they all have disc brakes? its all about balance when it comes to brakes

TypeRice
04-04-2011, 02:01 PM
how much did the conversion cost you? and do you notice n e differences whilst breaking?

cheers =)

Bludger
04-04-2011, 02:32 PM
no.

Pre-facelift grand vitara has rear drums, that fat thing stops really good.

TheSaint
04-04-2011, 03:33 PM
they also have one of the worst safety ratings around for compact awd lol

TheSaint
04-04-2011, 03:34 PM
how much did the conversion cost you? and do you notice n e differences whilst breaking?

cheers =)

they usually cost about $300 for all the parts from honbits
the difference is night and day - depends on how you drive tho
if its a daily - u prob wont notice - but if its track/street - or has more power than stock than yes it will make a big difference

trism
04-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I dunno why everyone is going on about how shit drums are, how they should be illegal, ****ing do some research.

drums actually have more stopping power. the surface area is a LOT more than discs. more surface area means more friction and better stopping.

yeah i have to use engine braking alot more with drums

i think going from a Dc2 with ABS and discs all round to an EG with no ABS and rear drums - you really notice the difference

They arent maintenance free, maybe you need to change the wheel cylinders and put new shoes on. Youd be amazed at the difference.

How can you feel the back not stopping? your car is all one piece, its not articulated in the middle, you wouldnt be able to tell. As for the fronts doing all the work, well this is what ahppens anyways. Factory brake bias isnt 50/50. Notice how the car pitches forwards under braking? I it was 50/50 then the rears would lock up everytime you stomped on the brakes. Its closer to around 70/30.

But Im assuming youre talking about doing a bit of spirited driving, getting on and off the brakes a fair bit, and this brings me to my next point.

Drums they are bad at heat dissipation, so no good for track, or spirited driving. Big solid bits of metal that absorb all the heat of braking, then have a hard time releasing it. This would be why your brakes are feeling shit. Its called brake fade.

Youre talking out of your arse here. Read what i said up there about brake bias, and the power of drums.

another great example of not knowing what youre talking about. Drums have great stopping power, but are susceptible to fade with repeated stops. I doubt youd be doing this in a base model Fiesta.

I jus realized my old my post where lol, 3 months later, i done the conversion, couldnt be more happy :D, and also the ej8 uses the same prop valve as em1, so no need to swap the prop valve over....

have u ever watched a race? notice that they all have disc brakes? its all about balance when it comes to brakes

Yep, a balance of about 70/30. And adjustable too, so they can move it to the front as the fuel load burns off and the car gets lighter in the rear.

But its also again, the heat dissipation issue.

http://pic.phyrefile.com/n/na/narf/2010/06/14/facepalm.jpg

TheSaint
04-04-2011, 08:25 PM
thread ender lol

+1 rep

flipfire
04-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Doesnt standard Honda Prop valve (4040) keep it fairly even at light braking but progressively puts more fluid to the front the harder you brake, so the rear doesnt lock up and spin out

Raztaz
04-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Trism > thread

Chriskoss
06-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Trism - he says what you cant be fukt to say because we all have lives and have better things to do than to prove randomz wrong on ozhomo;)

trism
07-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Chriskoss- he makes pointless replies to a thread, trying to call someone out and say they don't have a life, but only succeeds in contradicting his own post.

:)

When you have a missus, a kid, and a job you get good at time management

;)

TheSaint
07-04-2011, 09:14 PM
keep the banter friendly and on topic please =)