PDA

View Full Version : cai getting wet!

mugen_ctr
15-10-2010, 09:59 PM
after todays down pour in melbs hideous weather, iev noticed the car boggin down a bit, after a quick feel of the area where the pod is, behind the front bumper where the resonator use to be, its wet..., pod filter is wet, but not drenched or soaked

what ways can i prevent this from happening in the future?

dougie_504
15-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Are there any holes in your splash guard underneath, and is it attached to your bumper properly? Duct tape up any little whole on the bottom surface?

nwa111
15-10-2010, 10:18 PM
What cai you got ? If its a injen get a injen hydroshield :)

NEE
15-10-2010, 10:37 PM
LOL your filter just got a free wash...

mugen_ctr
15-10-2010, 11:26 PM
i suspect the bottom ducts aint held properly.... or bit loose ill have to have a closer look the next day...

its not a injen cai, but custom one, ill see if its held properly, if any nuts or bolts are loose

might need to look into a hydro shield, $60 all up, including shipping cost, sounds alot?

pod filter free wash? lol, i sure hope not! its a dry element type filter, an would hate if the filtering material dried up leaving nasty stuff on it

TheSaint
15-10-2010, 11:37 PM
juss pull it out and blow it out...

it shouldnt be a problem unless the entire pod is submerged

my fujita kit gets wet all the time and never causes any change/damage/problems

i even have a hole cut in the fender liner under the pod with a vent in it lol

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/the_saint7/P7240102.jpg?t=1280026247

mugen_ctr
15-10-2010, 11:47 PM
oh mad, ill definite have to look into that... seems simply enough... glad im not the only one with this problem....
yea wet pod filter definite not a problem just annoying lol, heard a few bs stories about cai and about hydrolocking....the engine will needa be submerge for it to really happen, seen a few 4wd crossin rivers, and the end result of hydrolocking = new engine

ninzee
16-10-2010, 12:14 AM
the difference between our cars and the 4wd is they use that snorkel type intake, the 1 that is as high as their roof lol so its never gunna get fully submerged in water

TheSaint
16-10-2010, 12:19 AM
its easy enough to avoid - DONT DRIVE IN WATER

my mate did it in his lancer not thinking anything of it - NEW ENGINE

and he didnt even get a better engine - got the same 2.0ltr SOHC automatic - talk about dedication to performance milking

mugen_ctr
16-10-2010, 12:22 AM
talkin about those 4wd pro wannabes, without the snorkels lol, those idiots who think that a hilux with massive tires an no snorkel can cross any river....

Yea if such thing ever happened which i hope doesnt come to that conclusion, id def go next best engine....4g63 evo engine ftw lol

ninzee
16-10-2010, 12:33 AM
ohh lol my bad
but iv herd that u gunna b pretty close to full throttle to get hydrolock cause under partial throttle theres not enought strength to get the water up, but i may b wrong

TheSaint
16-10-2010, 01:52 AM
talkin about those 4wd pro wannabes, without the snorkels lol, those idiots who think that a hilux with massive tires an no snorkel can cross any river....

Yea if such thing ever happened which i hope doesnt come to that conclusion, id def go next best engine....4g63 evo engine ftw lol

i wonder if galant twin turbo quad cam v6 will fit lol

dougie_504
16-10-2010, 09:26 AM
i wonder if galant twin turbo quad cam v6 will fit lol

2jz no shit

TheSaint
16-10-2010, 11:48 AM
isnt 2jz a toyota engine?

WATAJK
16-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Put a hydroshield on, if you have a air compressor, blow it out every service to clean it or just replace with new filter but i'd recommend the shield as it'd keep abit of the dust and shit off aswell as some water splash dude...
Believe me, my pod is more exposed then yours...

INJEN ftw but i don't drive in the rain.. i always look at the weather before driving regardless of my shield lol
Almost locked twice... car turned off... tried to start didn't start.. RACV came... Jumped the car (Jumper leads) Started.. No idea.. don't ask lol....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/mickamious/28022010226.jpg

mugen_ctr
16-10-2010, 05:05 PM
dammmm.... that is exposed pretty badly lol cant imagine it bein pleasant to drive knowin if u hit a massive puddle the car mite stop working, i was thinking of a metal heat shield to deflect some of the water, but not to sure, ill definite have to invest into a hydroshield

off topic, toyotas 2jz strongest jdm crate motor you can buy, stock block and piston, no kidding 800hp easily without breakin a sweat lol, much better than the rev happy nissans rb26dett crate, but both highly desired by all

TheSaint
16-10-2010, 05:19 PM
i was juss thinking of a cheap alternative to the sohc 2.0 automatic lancer sedan motor lol

and as puddles...

DONT DRIVE IN THEM

dougie_504
16-10-2010, 05:43 PM
i was juss thinking of a cheap alternative to the sohc 2.0 automatic lancer sedan motor lol

and as puddles...

DONT DRIVE IN THEM

Yeah the 2jz thing is just a joke. But Paul Walker had one in his Mitsubishi Eclipse on F&F1 :)

Mikecivic78
16-10-2010, 07:55 PM
When I park my car in the rain, the rain gets in between the bumper and the headlight and leaks down onto the pod in the bumper. Even though it's soaked no issues. I've also driven in all types of tropical downpours here in Brisbane and no worries.

Just be sensible, don't drive on flooded roads and hydrolock won't be an issue. The hydrolock card is played by too many SRI fans.

Bottom line, CAI = colder air = denser charge = more HP .

mugen_ctr
17-10-2010, 12:36 AM
When I park my car in the rain, the rain gets in between the bumper and the headlight and leaks down onto the pod in the bumper. Even though it's soaked no issues. I've also driven in all types of tropical downpours here in Brisbane and no worries.

Just be sensible, don't drive on flooded roads and hydrolock won't be an issue. The hydrolock card is played by too many SRI fans.

Bottom line, CAI = colder air = denser charge = more HP .

thats a good relief, lol.... yea couldnt agree more... melbourne weather lately has just been crap, heavy down pours, an sometimes when driving in the outback roads to work, theres no other way to dodge a puddle, unless i go right into the middle lane, which is dangerous lol.... so really, got no chance in keep that thing dry at all

cheapdouchebag
17-10-2010, 01:00 AM
thats a good relief, lol.... yea couldnt agree more... melbourne weather lately has just been crap, heavy down pours, an sometimes when driving in the outback roads to work, theres no other way to dodge a puddle, unless i go right into the middle lane, which is dangerous lol.... so really, got no chance in keep that thing dry at all

could not agree more with the melb weather champ.
fricken rain spots all over car :(
and last week when it was daisies sunny, i washed my car 3 days in a row (dont ask why i was bored LOL)