PDA

View Full Version : Fuels..

Lovebroken
16-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi everyone, just a question I've got regarding fuels - What's the best to put in your bike? :confused:

I always use 98 octane and usually put BP Ultimate in my Civic, seeing as though the station is relatively close to where I live.. But how does it go in bikes? I've heard from one bloke that BP Ultimate isn't the best to use because of lubricants they add which are apparently designed particularly for a cars engine, he personally used Caltex Vortex.

What are your thoughts? :)

Twincam16
16-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Different fuels will give you different reactions with different engines

Whenever i get a new car/bike, I fill up a tank each time at the major outlets (Shell, BP, Caltex, Mobil) and I take note of the KMs/L and the feel of each fuel and make my decision off that

Dont listen when someone else tells you "oh this is the best fuel for all cars"

gReY-oNe
17-10-2010, 05:14 PM
can u use all 98 octanes on bikes?

Entity
19-10-2010, 07:15 PM
shell said at one point on its websites that optimax (now v power) is no good for carby bikes

i use BP ultimate and its pretty good

itsdenny
20-10-2010, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE=Twincam16;2874079]

Whenever i get a new car/bike, I fill up a tank each time at the major outlets (Shell, BP, Caltex, Mobil) and I take note of the KMs/L and the feel of each fuel and make my decision off that

if you fill another fuel ontop doesnt it mix with the old?

Lovebroken
22-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the comments, hmm.. I might have to do a bit more research.. I'm pretty sure that some of the additives they put in are specifically designed to clean out your injectors - how that would go in a carby though??..

Twin - what do you mean by different fuels having a different feel/reaction? idling as against deep into powerband or?

ICACHA
29-10-2010, 12:19 PM
most of the guys i ride with have their own preference. i dont mind any of the brands as long as i use 98.

some prefer BP, others Shell.

try them all and see which your bike likes.

pieee
30-10-2010, 01:04 AM
icacha couldnt have said it better, try them all and just feel your bikes reactions

Twincam16
02-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Twin - what do you mean by different fuels having a different feel/reaction? idling as against deep into powerband or?

Different fuels use different additives which may react with the way your motor operates. Could be from how smooth your engine runs to its efficiency over a tank. Test it out for yourself

If you topped up at a half tank it defeats the purpose yes, but if its a low tank it wont make a difference.

Twincam16
02-11-2010, 12:21 AM

Different fuels use different additives which may react with the way your motor operates. Could be from how smooth your engine runs to its efficiency over a tank. Test it out for yourself

If you topped up at a half tank it defeats the purpose yes, but if its a low tank it wont make a difference.

sendok
19-03-2011, 07:56 AM
yep use 98 for the top performance, i dont really care the brand :)

gumus89
21-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Dont just fill up one tank of each. There are too many variables which will affect the performance of the bike. Things like air temp and humidity will change the way it feels. So if you fill and ride in bad conditions you may feel like its the fuels fault.

gumbs
31-03-2011, 08:51 AM
I use what ever is convenient but I ride an 02 model mid range carby bike so it doesn't give a shit. I only ever use ethanol as a clean out once every couple of months.

aimre
02-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Depends what bike you got, Carby bike that ive had DONT like it at all.. my mates 02 ZX6R conked out down the street after putting in 98, 95 from then on only or 91. IDK why. One of my bike wasnt starting properly, and when i took it in to the bike shop, blokes like 'you havent been putting 98 in it have you'?

Though on that note, my honda today doesnt mind it