PDA

View Full Version : Accessories for B16A conversion?

turtleEK1
10-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum ordeal so go light on me... but anyway, i got a 96 EK1 civic and plan on doing a V-TEC B16A engine conversion but i'd like to hear some peoples recommended extra parts i should add to it for better performance? i'm going to keep it n/a as well... some things i've thought about are high comression pistons, quad throttles, better injectors, better ECU and better cams... i'm interested in other peoples opinions, so please do speak out... cheers :thumbsup:

SPEEDCORE
10-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Sell it. Buy an EK4.

SiR JDM
10-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Sell it. Buy an EK4. :thumbsup:

I know for me and other people i know personally.. as well as people ive read on these forums, Conversions can do your head in with problem after problem.

In the end it costs will work out very similar.. but you wont need to worry about engeneering it etc

Plus, if you buy a 1/2 cut, you cant really test drive it... or see exactly wat type of condition the engine is in

If you are buying a new EK4 you can get it test drive it yourself, get it checked via your trusted mechanic/RACV/whoever you want

Alot of people do the EG b16a conversion, because you cannot buy a b16a powered EG in Australia, but you can with EK, so my advice is that as Speedcore's, Sell it. Buy an ek4

vti-2
10-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Relocated to the appropriate forum...

Just to comment on your thread and the replies, there is nothing wrong with an engine swap so I wouldn't be one to say forget the engine swap and just go buy an EK4. An engine swap can turn out very cheap if you are careful where you buy the engine from and who you get to drop it all in. If you like working on cars, you will save heaps of money by dropping the engine in yourself. It's not that hard, just time consuming. You will need a Honda manual for your model car/engine (i.e. EK4) and an engine hoist. The rest is easy.

I'm assuming the EK1 is the GLi model? And won't require a gearbox transplant?

VTEC16
10-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Sounds like you've got big plans turtle! If you are going to mod it anyway, my advice would be to get a B18C (either type R or VTi-R). You should get more power out of your mods this way.

But if you still want a B16A, then i would go with a civic VTi-R.

What kind of budget are you working with? and as vic said - can you do any work yourself?

good luck!

...and do a search....this has been covered a few times.

**Ghost**
11-01-2005, 09:48 AM
ditto as what mike said... y DIY something (b16A EK), when it can be built? especially once u DIY it u wont have as good a car (for example sunroof) as a genuine Ek4, but u end up paying the same...

Go for B18C in an EK body...thats worth doing

turtleEK1
11-01-2005, 12:17 PM
well i've taken some of ya comments onboard... cheers guys! some other things i forgot to mention were exhaust, extractors and other stuff like that... i've grown to like the EK1 i've got now, thats why i want to do a conversion, i've seen the B16A's capabilities and was impressed! don't really want hassle fitting a larger eng either. i'm not after a 10sec car or anything, just something thats n/a and has some balls... plus i'm not working on HUGE budget, i am going to help out a fairbit with doing it coz i've worked on eng conversion before on a friends nissan TRX. but thanks, thats given me a better perspective on the matter!! any more info won't hurt tho!! :D :thumbsup:

ORACER
11-01-2005, 01:37 PM
get a b16b engine and dump it into your EK...

CTR style...

flipmods
11-01-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm assuming the EK1 is the GLi model? And won't require a gearbox transplant?Still will need the gearbox and computer, as the D's and B's don't like each other.:D

Surrufus
12-01-2005, 08:44 AM
hey mate... my car is almost exactly the same
built in nov 97 it has the d16y4
i was thinking about swapping the engine but its just too hard for what its worth especially since u can buy one with the engine u want

u can sell your car and buy a 96 VTi R for the b16a2 or you just mod is as is

[[d a n n y]]
12-01-2005, 09:16 AM
It's VTEC no V-TEC
anyways..
B16a will give u an EK4
so why settle for sumthing every1's got.
get a B18c or a B16B
and stand out of the crowd~~~~:D

z3lda
12-01-2005, 09:28 AM
are u sure its VTEC, not VTECH?!!!!!!!

vti-2
12-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Still will need the gearbox and computer, as the D's and B's don't like each other.:D
That right. In that case, you need a half cut. I reckon you should just do the B16A conversion. Do a search on these forums, heaps of info available. :)

And yes it is VTEC and not V-TEC.

panda[cRx]
24-01-2005, 11:51 AM
:thumbsup:
I know for me and other people i know personally.. as well as people ive read on these forums, Conversions can do your head in with problem after problem.

ur not talking about ME are you? hahahaha:D
farken swap:mad:

if ur gonna swap GET A HALFCUT!!
when i bought my engine i was mising 650 bucks worth of pieces
and also coz i didnt get a half cut i had to worry about wiring and the ecu

dont bother with b16a like a few others have said, b18c y0:thumbsup:
oh and also quads are illegal man:(

Looneee
28-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Just do some research on www.honda-tech.com or on ozhonda. Speak to a good mechanic and make sure you have all the parts before you do the swap. Make a list so you know what your in for. But your def on the right path.

CTR Coupe
28-01-2005, 07:16 PM
']
if ur gonna swap GET A HALFCUT!!

dont bother with b16a like a few others have said, b18c y0:thumbsup:

b18c is the only way to go. its no more trouble putting it in than a b16a. get a half cut it saves so much trouble.