PDA

View Full Version : Frequent Engine Start

chinx_4eva
18-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi Ozhonda'ers, :wave:

Just a very technical question, im not sure if this thread is meant to be posted here or if this question has been asked before but here it goes.

My current occupation is a delivery boy at my aunties restaurant, what i do is i delivery asian food to people that order over the phone to there house or what not.
I've been doing this for a bit more then half a year and a convern thats always been on my mind is my car's frequent engine start and stop.

So i only deliver to places withing a certain range (which isn't very far) and very often i have to turn off and on my engine.
i.e: start engine, arrive at destination and engine goes off, deliver the goods and the engine is on again (approx 1 - 2 minutes engine time off), then back to the restuarant and the car is once off agian for an unknown time (sometimes 1 - 2 minutes again if there is another delivery).
one day could accumilate a bare 3 - 4 deliveries only or up to 20 on busy days.

but the main question is, how does this effect my engine? does it run more expensive (use more fuel to start the engine)? does it cause more carbon to building up?

any help on this concern would be greatful.
THANKSS ! :D

dougie_504
18-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Your fuel consumption is probably worse than somebody who gets to do more lengthy driving because your engine might not warm up and stay warm for long periods, but otherwise I don't think there's an issue?

andy_dc2
18-10-2010, 08:20 PM
It shouldnt be a problem. Your biggest concern should probably be the first start up in the early morning. That's the only time when your engine needs a good warm up. And considering that you're only driving short distances to places (not gunning it around a track), the car should be alright without a proper warm down (unlike your turbo cars). Fuel consumption will probably be the most of your worries lol

RR-04-RR
18-10-2010, 08:38 PM
haha i was in the same situation when i had my dc2r. could leave my car on considering i had to park on the road as it was too loud and low so i had to start on and off... just made sure its primered every start. never had a problem with my car

OMG.JAI xD
18-10-2010, 08:50 PM
To answer your questions.

1. It will decrease the life of your engine. I dont have a figure of how much by but it will indefinately decrease the life of your engine. Only because youre running the engine mostly on cold temps. If the car is a daily beater i doubt it would make much of a difference. When the engines time is up, its up. Maintain it and it should be fine.

2. Fuel. Yes you will use more. Colder running temperatures run richer. Also youll be idling a touch bit higher depending on the temp. But seriously to be honest, people that warm up the car (including myself) most probably have the same fuel efficiency as some one that does alot of start stop driving.

3.Carbon. Definately. Increase in fuel while cold will increase the amounts of carbon in the exhaust gas. With alot of brand new diesels that ive worked on (common rail euro4/5 engines) that have had alot of start stop driving in the showroom have experience failed EGR valves due to carbon. Though this may not be the same with a petrol engine, the principles are still the same. There will still be more carbon with start stop driving compared to normal driving.

Solution?
Mate buy a fuel injected car without all the emission systems such as EGR valves ... and all that junk. Buy something that is 1.3-1.5L in capacity.
That way, fuel is cheap. Less problems. And when you do have problems, its cheap to fix.