PDA

View Full Version : EJ8 Conversion need some help!

hondavti25
19-10-2010, 05:41 PM
So what I was going to do is swap in a B16B and getting Hipower to do it. I have spoken to a few people some who are big fans of the idea and others have said go H22A. (B18C7 I know is a possibility but this is purely out convenience for what is available from Hipower). Over the years I have seen a few H22A civics around but when researching I have found the gearbox's seem to be a minor problem. B16B always seem to have good reviews other then the low torque thing. Any body want to give some insight in to which is going to be less pain free down the road. Car is just a daily simply needed to replace stock motor and wanted to a good alternative to the D series but want a bit more kick then just a B16A.

I have looked into the H2B but really just after simple at the moment. So to sum it up really just after a nice easy daily drive that has a bit of spirit to it. I am not into track or 1/4 don't have time :(. But do love my Honda.

Really just after some honest feedback to what others have experienced. Thanks guys!

mugen_ctr
19-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Alternative is to boost the d to give it some much needed umph.... h22a seems reasonable, but i cant help but wonder that it would be a pain in the ass to engineer it to the car, an getting the power steering and a/c moddifed to work without spending a lot of cash....better of goin b18/b20swap if ur goin to that lengths

Stick with b18c7, u wont regret it later on with the extra 200cc making for more torque an power in everyday driving
but its not to say b16b is any slow coach

hondavti25
19-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the insight, I am not seriously concerned about the .5 to 1sec differance or more that I may find with the B16B but the extra torque may come in handy. Any one got any sad stories about H22A reliability? I have a friend with a VTIR prelude seems to be running really well but his not much into giving his car a heap ever.

Alternative is to boost the d to give it some much needed umph.... h22a seems reasonable, but i cant help but wonder that it would be a pain in the ass to engineer it to the car, an getting the power steering and a/c moddifed to work without spending a lot of cash....better of goin b18/b20swap if ur goin to that lengths

Stick with b18c7, u wont regret it later on with the extra 200cc making for more torque an power in everyday driving
but its not to say b16b is any slow coach

mugen_ctr
19-10-2010, 08:36 PM
like any honda, h22a is a strong engine, an will last for ages.... if treated well, regular service as such, have a mate that drives one, although im skeptical that its a vtir, as the engine is a h23 non-vtec, if im not mistaken, vtir are suppose to be h22a motors

after a few min research of h22a swap, its pretty much a expensive swap, needing custom engine mounts, and maybe custom hubs depending on the gearbox chosen, unless u wanna b different an fork out the extra for that extra 400cc, i think u will find b18 will be more than enough for you

blabla
19-10-2010, 08:52 PM
So what I was going to do is swap in a B16B and getting Hipower to do it. I have spoken to a few people some who are big fans of the idea and others have said go H22A. (B18C7 I know is a possibility but this is purely out convenience for what is available from Hipower). Over the years I have seen a few H22A civics around but when researching I have found the gearbox's seem to be a minor problem. B16B always seem to have good reviews other then the low torque thing. Any body want to give some insight in to which is going to be less pain free down the road. Car is just a daily simply needed to replace stock motor and wanted to a good alternative to the D series but want a bit more kick then just a B16A.

I have looked into the H2B but really just after simple at the moment. So to sum it up really just after a nice easy daily drive that has a bit of spirit to it. I am not into track or 1/4 don't have time :(. But do love my Honda.

Really just after some honest feedback to what others have experienced. Thanks guys!

Take it from a fellow ej8 owner go the b18c7 i have a b16a2 its good but you will want more i should of got a b18c7 instead of the b16a.

hondavti25
19-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Take it from a fellow ej8 owner go the b18c7 i have a b16a2 its good but you will want more i should of got a b18c7 instead of the b16a.

Id love the B18C7 option but I need this conversion done in the next 3 weeks, Hipower cant get one in for 6 or so. So I am stuck with the B16B / H22A option.

blabla
19-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Id love the B18C7 option but I need this conversion done in the next 3 weeks, Hipower cant get one in for 6 or so. So I am stuck with the B16B / H22A option.

Well i enquired abt a h22 in my car they said abt 7k with power steering and ac. Could be cheaper to go the b16b and they are rarer then the others. U could always down the track go a stroker kit to get it to 1.8

hondavti25
19-10-2010, 09:56 PM
still very torn, any one else have any input?

mugen_ctr
19-10-2010, 10:54 PM
honestly, id stick to b16b, purely cause it can handle more punishment than a h22a can ever, an b16b is pretty much a pure race bred motor...revving to 9k, what more can u ask for, but than again, this is just my opinion lol

chauster
19-10-2010, 11:01 PM
B series > H series anyday.

If you want easy, just get a b16a. You wont need engineering cert and its pretty much the cheapest swap out. You say you're not gunna track or 1/4 mile your car so whats the difference in b16b and b16a? barely

blabla
20-10-2010, 04:36 AM
B16b and later on put in a b18c7 crank in and there u go could be more work but from looking at the specs thts all tht gets changed

hondavti25
20-10-2010, 10:28 AM
B16B is looking like a winner.

seihoa
20-10-2010, 10:47 AM
b16 head with b20 bottom end.

Seriously, source a b18 from somewhere else and get hipower to install it for u. If u urgently need a car hire one for $200-300 or maybe catch public transport or work something out.

hondavti25
25-10-2010, 04:17 PM
So bit of an update, B16B was sold over the weekend so Ivan from Hipower has just ordered me a B18C7 so ended up with the best option any way!. Thanks for the help again

latinstyle69
25-10-2010, 04:47 PM
if u dont mind, how much is this conversion roughly gonna cost you?