PDA

View Full Version : chasis stiffen

kimang
20-10-2010, 12:27 AM
hi guys,

i just want to know what is the best way to stiffen up the chasis on the em?

i heard ppl say that the beaks lower tie bar doesnt do much.?

all i have is a gen1 mugen front strut bar and is thinking of getting a rear strut, ASR brace, ctr sway bar and beaks lower tie for the rear.

but wat else can i do the lower front?

kcokla
20-10-2010, 07:08 AM
fender bars1
they do wonders.

mugen_ctr
20-10-2010, 09:01 AM
depends how far u wanna take it really.... basic setup, 2 point front strut brace an front chassis brace, rear strut brace

Than u can go the underbody chassis brace as well...

An lastly is half cage, or u can go full blown cams approved roll cage

kimang
20-10-2010, 09:25 AM
thanks heaps.

yeah i jst have cash laying around and wanna spend it on my baby.. haha

kcokla
20-10-2010, 09:46 AM
overall id suggest a 3 point front strut/if not two,
underbody brace and a 3 point fender bar.
fender bars are commonly ignored but if you've got a front strut bar its stablizing it but pressure is still exerted out to the sides - hence why fender braces are great

mugen_ctr
20-10-2010, 09:55 AM
i dont believe fender brace actually do anything at all, but yea if u got the extra, go 3-point front strut... but first spend the money on suspension than go chassis

TheSaint
20-10-2010, 10:10 AM
fender braces are really a pain in the arse to install and they dont REALLY add that much of a performance increase

to the OP - check out Ultra Racing products - http://www.ultraracingaustralia.com/page2.htm

a good setup for the EK/EM would be...
- 3 point front upper strut
- 2 point front lower strut
- 4 point rear upper strut
- 2 point adjustable floor/room bar
- ASR brace + CTR sway

if you have coilovers or a strut and spring combo this sort of thing will really bring the best out of the car

just go easy with the new rear swaybar tho - it will dramatically change the way the car handles

eg6sir
20-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Hmmm, cash laying around ah? Tell us where and we will give you a hand to pick it up.
I would think the reason you wanna to stiffen the chassis is for improved handling, the biggest improvement I did on my own car before any braces, is a sub frame brace and a thick rear sway bar, and value for your laying around cash, nothing comes close. After you done that, then look at some other options.

dougie_504
20-10-2010, 10:42 AM
- Front strut brace
- Rear strut brace
- Larger rear sway bar (not front sway bar, not the best for handling)

achet007
20-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Totally agree with dougie – Front/rear strut brace and a rear sways, Depends on what you want as well mate, but that set-up is more then enough for street imo

I’ve got the same set-up on my ek and it’s quite go-karttie on the road bwhahaha

Tai
20-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Make sure the bars are solid welded bars and not joined by some small bolt on the ends.

VT3C
20-10-2010, 12:07 PM
What Tai said is important !! no point if you're just running flimsy ebay braces with 'swivel' ends etc. you need them to be SOLID and RIGID.
my Floppy EG hatch would flex over everything then when i fitted Spoon upper Rear brace it tightened everything up now I am pivoting on 2 (diagonal) wheels when i go up curbs LOL. I run Vision Technica (same as spoon) front upper, EG6 front upper, ITR front lower and the Spoon upper rear. I dont even have a lower rear brace. the ASR braces are mainly to work in conjunction with an aftermarket sway bar as far as I am aware and serve as the lower brace secondarilly.

since you have a coupe, i'd thouroghly reccomend upgrading the rear sway bar to something quite stiff - this will make a great difference and wont make the coupe feel liek it's dragging it's ass around like a sedan.. and i'd definately run an ASR or similar rear lower subframe brace or you'll rip-out the made-in-USA quality subframe/swaybar mount points.

kimang
20-10-2010, 11:20 PM
thanks for the advice guys

ill see wat my money can get me. n im not gonna go ebay... LOL! do it right the first time