PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Choice - What everyone is running and recommend

blackouT
20-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Hi guys just in need of the set of new tyres and was what everyone was running or recommended. I would just be running street and light light trackwork nothing extreme and I would prob look at running 215/40/17 all around.

Ive been recommended by friends

KU36
KU31
and Dunlop Z1 (imported from America)

called tech9tyres in perth and the dude also recommended me Nexen n6000 and was wondering if anyone has tried them and what they think? and if anyone has any other choices of tyres they recommend feel free to let me know!

If you guys could help me with some info cheers!!

vic

vyets
20-10-2010, 06:09 PM
outta the top 3 dunlop z1
the $ is so good now u should get some
I just ordered some tyres from the tire rack 900 landed for z1.

But first of all you should figure out what tyre class you want
http://www.tirerack.com/
jump on the site and read some reviews, there's soo many tyres to choose from it really comes down to personal preference and budget.

Also keep in mind that the Z1 and KU36 wear alot quicker then the KU31

irvinchua
20-10-2010, 06:46 PM
I recommend Advan AD-08 and it's available locally. Isn't 215 a little narrow at the rears?? But I'm not sure about the sizing for 16inch.

Engin09
20-10-2010, 07:30 PM
KU-36's do a great job for me !

vyets
20-10-2010, 07:36 PM
even if you want ad08 I would recommend getting from usa, ends up being alot cheap local dealers want too much for ad08's

215 is thing but I'm guessing he needs to stretch em to clear his wheels, also keep in mind UHPT tend to have a thicker sidewalls then your average street tyre

euromandeluxe
20-10-2010, 07:43 PM
wow, didn't know importing tyres was so cheap. strong dollar?

OP, depends what you want out of the tyre! dry grip, wet grip, life, noise, etcccc

vyets
20-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Strong dollar helps but it's always been cheap

I ordered the z1 for my mate and it was 900 landed.

Me and another s2k owner from syd ordered some RE11's for 1.2k landed

Excatly what euro said

too many things to factor before you know which tyre to go for you need to know what you want out of the tyre.

and you cant have a tyre that "grips mad in wet and dry, quiet and smooth, cheap and last long" LOL

JAP-S2K
20-10-2010, 09:51 PM
I've run Nexen tyres on a previous S2K i used to own, they were o.k. But there's plenty better out there. I swear blind by Dunlop Sportmaxx now, I've tried heaps of popular brands and types, but these for me are a clear winner, a little pricey but killer grip in the dry, reasonable good in the wet and they seem to last. In comparsion to a set of Bridgestone Adrenalin's, the Sportmaxx are a far better tyre. However you should seriously think about running at least factory width on the rear. 215's will make the car handle like a bag of shit.

ncmx5
21-10-2010, 12:41 AM
if you can be assed getting them from the states, then get the z1 or advans ad08... actually, kumho v700 are pretty cheap and they're considered R spec tyre. They're factory for earlier lotus elises etc. If you can't be bothered wiring money internationally and waiting, then get the KU36... as cheap, as good for your use.

e240
21-10-2010, 02:45 AM
Toyo R1R

sambalam
21-10-2010, 11:53 AM
im atempting to run ad08's sidewall is just crazy big lol, big sizes to, dont get ku36's they wear way to quick, from your list id go for the z1's

blackouT
22-10-2010, 12:11 PM
thanks for the feedback guys think im gonna order a set of z1's from the states then! loving the exchange rate atm but its killing me at the same time -_-

DC2-PWR
22-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I've run Nexen tyres on a previous S2K i used to own, they were o.k. But there's plenty better out there. I swear blind by Dunlop Sportmaxx now, I've tried heaps of popular brands and types, but these for me are a clear winner, a little pricey but killer grip in the dry, reasonable good in the wet and they seem to last. In comparsion to a set of Bridgestone Adrenalin's, the Sportmaxx are a far better tyre. However you should seriously think about running at least factory width on the rear. 215's will make the car handle like a bag of shit.

+1 rep, I really like your comparison,

btw I've spent 10mins reading your signiture on choosing :p.

STAiN MASTER
22-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Just got some AD08's, Fronts 245, Rears 255... havent been out on track yet to test these out.

rokkuchan
22-10-2010, 02:51 PM
i think ku36 are shit for daily driving but definatelly better handling. For all rounder and slippery fun in the wet, i'd go for RE001 for steering response. and i hate Hankooks.

vyets
22-10-2010, 07:27 PM
RE001 are still pretty bad in the wet considering their dry grip isn't that great either =/
They're still better then the ku36 in the wet however :) RE050 ftw for wet tyres they are so awsome in the wet.

btw KU36 is Kumho not Hankooks :P hehe

Tyre suggestions are about as good as reading tyre reviews, almost usless :P There's that many tyres around that at the end of the day comes down to what you can afford and what brand you want to go with. Everyone always has something bad/good to say about a certain tyre and every website will give you a diffrent review on each tyre lol

sambalam
22-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Just got some AD08's, Fronts 245, Rears 255... havent been out on track yet to test these out.

I'm running the same on the rears, but having trouble getting them in the guards, getting em rolled soon though, u done any other work to get them to fit?

vyets
22-10-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm running the same on the rears, but having trouble getting them in the guards, getting em rolled soon though, u done any other work to get them to fit?

roll guard, relocate pumper tab :) I told you before you bought em you had to roll lol

sambalam
22-10-2010, 08:57 PM
roll guard, relocate pumper tab :) I told you before you bought em you had to roll lol

Lol yeah I'm gettin that done on friday, they look so fat lol, I just wasn't sure cause the side wall on the ado8 is a beast lol,

vyets
22-10-2010, 09:08 PM
they're about the same size as my rt615 ;)

STAiN MASTER
22-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Lol yeah I'm gettin that done on friday, they look so fat lol, I just wasn't sure cause the side wall on the ado8 is a beast lol,

The overall width of the AD08's are wide, so the 245 tires is 248 and the 255 is 261... ive rolled the guards, cut the bumper tab but im going to need more of a roll and going to have to cut more of the rear bumper tab, these are really wide tires.

irvinchua
22-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Ditto! I've got the same widths front and rear. The sidewalls are insanely stiff and they extremely well in the dry and are confidence inspiring in the wet. I don't really care about NVH so I love these tyres.