PDA

View Full Version : EK Gearbox Dies. What Do?

mugeneration
21-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Hey guys,

Just like a missus, when it starts making whinging sounds (especially when moving down gears) you gotta replace the thing.

So I've resigned myself to getting a refurb gearbox from the wreckers (Only a few hundred! Stoked because Honda told me to expect to pay like $1500 at least!).

What I want to know is: What else should I get done while theyre at it? Obvious choices are replace the flywheel (current factory one has been machined before) with a light weight one and perhaps upgrade the clutch. Anyone know how much I'd be laying out for these items and what traders I could speak to about it? Even if theres traders or something on here who are able to do the work I'd be interested in hearing a quote?

Thanks guys

bennjamin
21-10-2010, 09:11 AM
a wrecker will never sell
You a "refurbed" anything. They only sell second hand goods. So it is used with ? Ks and condition

But , perhaps it's the cheapest option. To rebuild a
Gearbox ranges depending on what needs replacing.
I'd consider the 2nd hand one. Just get it drop it in then drive drive.

Consider a findaza or similar flywheel and heavy duty clutch for better feel and peppier throttle response.
Shoot me a pm I can provide all things labour wise in regards to this

mugeneration
21-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Ok cool thanks Ben, will draft up a PM now ;-)

I called Honbits for it and they said they either had straight up 2nd hand gearboxes or refurbished ones. They reckon go the refurb because it comes with warranty on their work? But for all I know they were freshly refurbed before the donor car was wrecked? I dunno.

I don't think I'd bother rebuilding it. The car is a little old (96) and its value is probably less than $8k so probably wouldnt be worth it. Do you know roughly what I'd have to lay down for a GOOD flywheel (doesnt have to be super awesome brandname like Spoon or whatehaveyou, but a decent one) and clutch? Is there a clutch manufacturer I should look out for as well?

Thanks mate.

mugeneration
21-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Although I am still open to hearing about other options for my clutch, as I DO hate slippage :-)

How much would I be looking at on a branded one?

vinnY
21-10-2010, 03:25 PM
clutch kit for a d series is generally cheap(not including flywheel)
I hear the exedy oem/hd kits go for <300

if you're in syd, give turbo auto spares in cabramatta a call they'd probably be the cheapest locally

TheSaint
21-10-2010, 09:29 PM
i just got an Exedy OE + Exedy 10lbs Racing flywheel kit from USA ebay for $400aud posted to my door =)

i would also get an 'Energy Suspension Engine/Transmission Insert Kit' - it will reduce the stress on the gearbox - the clutch, flywheel and this kit are what i am putting in with my S20 B000 JDM D15b gearbox soon =)

http://www.energysuspension.com/products/Motor-Mount-Inserts.html

be careful when buying S40 (EK D series) gearbox from wreckers as there isnt really any way to tell what gear ratios you are getting

for the S20 (EG D series) - its easy to tell the better ratio/final drive because they are stamped B000

but for the S40 both the VTI coupe (D16y8) and the VTI sedan (D16y5) have different gear ratios but share the same stamp B000

worse still is that honda and wreckers treat all the S40 as being the same part and the S20 also being the same part across the board

but the truth is that there is different ratios + housing for each motor

a new gearbox will set you back over $3000 and a recondition of your current box will be almost the same lol

heres some more info

http://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/honda-transmission-specs-29132/

mugeneration
21-10-2010, 09:55 PM
goddamn thats a lot of money! lol I'll look into that flywheel kit etc tomorrow at work :-) Thanks mate

I drive a Gli, so I take it that it would have a different gearbox to the VTI?

TheSaint
22-10-2010, 12:46 AM
yeah it does - urs will have a S40 A000

what engine does the EK Gli have in it?

mugeneration
22-10-2010, 08:08 AM
It has the 1.6L SOHC non VTEC. Yup, one of Honda's weakest engines lol.

TheSaint
22-10-2010, 10:04 AM
im tuning a 1.5L SOHC non VTEC - so dont beat yourself up lol

can you get the engine code for me? should be a stamp just below the exhaust manifold

dougie_504
22-10-2010, 10:29 AM
im tuning a 1.5L SOHC non VTEC - so dont beat yourself up lol

can you get the engine code for me? should be a stamp just below the exhaust manifold

I can't remember what thread we were talking about it in, but you said there's a specific GBox from 96-00 that had a shorted FD than the rest? Was it the Y4 box?

TheSaint
22-10-2010, 12:25 PM
its the D16y8 box for sure - not sure what other AUDM models came with it

if its stamped S40 A000 than its got crap ratios
if its stamped S40 B000 theres a 50/50 chance it has the better ratio and final drive - as the y8 and y5 have the same housing but the y5 has crappier ratio + FD
the only way to be sure with the 96-00 (S40) is to either watch it being pulled out of the car or pull it apart and count the teeth lol

the only one u can be sure with is the S20 B000 - they will be a definite winner

problem with links like this is that its USDM/JDM - its hard to say when it comes to AUDM

http://hondaswap.com/reference-mater...n-specs-29132/

mugeneration
27-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Ok its a d16y4 engine.

Still trying to source a clutch and flywheel. I'm probably looking at an exedy organic clutch (though I may go down to HD if theres a problem with that?) and a lightweight flywheel.

Gearbox will be a wrecker/refurb job for sure.

Stay tuned benny, I'll be sure to hit you up for the labour once I've got everything lined up :-)

TheSaint
28-10-2010, 11:25 AM
try and get a S20 B000 gearbox if you can
it will have better gear ratios and FD guarenteed

i would just go for an exedy OE clutch and exedy 10lbs flywheel from the states - u cant beat the price at the moment

if the car is tuned up a bit go with a stage1 kit =)

munkaii
28-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Shop around mate,

I had one and sold it on the forums for $200. That's about the going rate on forums.

mocchi
01-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Shop around mate,

I had one and sold it on the forums for $200. That's about the going rate on forums.

i had two and sold them for $100ea. so $100-$200 then.

~Sp33~
01-11-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm running a refurbed gearbox from honbits, was everything i was expecting it to be.

mugeneration
02-11-2010, 03:15 PM
lol is that a good thing or a bad thing?

where abouts would I go to look at bringing the exedy clutch and flywheel in from the states? Im totally noob at this stuff.

flipfire
02-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Fleabay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-OEM-CLUTCH-KIT-FLYWHEEL-92-00-HONDA-CIVIC-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad8ac439fQQitemZ39018 2224799QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

mugen_ctr
02-11-2010, 03:47 PM
lol is that a good thing or a bad thing?

where abouts would I go to look at bringing the exedy clutch and flywheel in from the states? Im totally noob at this stuff.

ebay is ur next best friend lol... there are alternatives to exedy as well, jump on d-series to find out more

TheSaint
02-11-2010, 11:15 PM
i juss did heaps of research and end up getting a Exedy OE Clutch + 10lbs Racing Flywheel kit from gripforce on ebay

was hella cheap, fast shipment and quality parts =)

mugeneration
03-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Ahk sweet! What sellers did you use? I've pretty much resigned myself to ebay (though I think I'll save a buttload this way) I'm just a little cautious about getting fake parts.

How long did your stuff take to arrive? All genuine?

mugeneration
06-11-2010, 06:32 PM
try and get a S20 B000 gearbox if you can
it will have better gear ratios and FD guarenteed

i would just go for an exedy OE clutch and exedy 10lbs flywheel from the states - u cant beat the price at the moment

if the car is tuned up a bit go with a stage1 kit =)

OK so I've been having a look around and am a bit in between the OE clutch and flywheel kit and the Stage 1 kit (which is organic clutch?). I hear good things about organic clutches, but am wondering if thered be a noticable difference between the two? I dont really drive hard but am not a huge fan of slippage (though I do sit in traffic a bit when I do drive, so dont want something I have to throw my whole body behind to put down). My car isnt tuned or anything, reckon its worth the extra?

Also I saw an 8.5 lbs flywheel on there, would that be too light?

mugen_ctr
06-11-2010, 07:02 PM
OK so I've been having a look around and am a bit in between the OE clutch and flywheel kit and the Stage 1 kit (which is organic clutch?). I hear good things about organic clutches, but am wondering if thered be a noticable difference between the two? I dont really drive hard but am not a huge fan of slippage (though I do sit in traffic a bit when I do drive, so dont want something I have to throw my whole body behind to put down). My car isnt tuned or anything, reckon its worth the extra?

Also I saw an 8.5 lbs flywheel on there, would that be too light?

There shouldnt be much difference between oe an ur current stock oem clutch... its nothing more than a oem replacement, since honda charges a arm an leg for a replacement clutch, at first it may feel heavier or lighter, but once it wears down, it be like nothings ever been changed....me personally, wouldnt get lightened flywheel unless u have some modifications done to ur vehicle, engine wise... theres a reason why the oem flywheel is heavy for a reason, so dont be expecting like huge gains lol....just fast engine speed really, im not to sure how the lightened flywheel performs, ask Thesaints, his the only one i know whos got the lighter flywheel

mugeneration
06-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Well since I dont drive that hard the main concerns with the type of clutch are how long it lasts and how easy it is to use in traffic. If theres not much difference in those and OE, I dont mind spending a little extra for the organic.

Theres heaps of lightened flywheels going out there. I'm led to believe factory is 18lbs, and the lightest I've seen is 7.5lbs (dont think I'd go that light unless worth it). Does a light flywheel make it harder to go up hills and do highway driving?

mugen_ctr
06-11-2010, 07:29 PM
im not a physics guru, so dont quote me on this lol, but the theory behind lighter flywheel = more engine speed, down side, less mass, means less torque can be held within the flywheel, so in a nut shell, what u said really, depending how light u will go, u mite struggle goin up hill more than oem setup, but goin down hill u will have more momentum to play with

sw1fty
08-11-2010, 11:39 AM
not more momentum, just takes less energy to spin the flywheel
i.e. you will accelerate (slightly) faster but will have (slightly) less momentum from the flywheel (i.e. less torque)

honestly i wouldn't bother with a d-series, save the money for something else
just IMO though

TheSaint
09-11-2010, 02:08 AM
having a really light flywheel makes it loose acceleration really quickly - on a D series this can be very violent - especially in low gears and low speeds

i think the most comfortable weight u can go down to is 10lbs ... i got the exedy 10lbs racing flywheel and the car responds/revs much quicker - which makes it easier to pick gearing, change gears and i can get into power-band easier which actually helps torque

i was looking at a fidanza 7lbs kit - but im glad i didnt get it lol

i got the energy suspension engine and transmission mount insert kit when i got the transmission, clutch and fly installed - i didnt think much of it at the time (only about $50 from ebay) but DAMN it made a difference - probably best value for money mod i have done for my car - im really thinking of doing the shifter bushings now as well =)

mugeneration
09-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Righteo so looks like you went the right way about it, 10lb flywheel looks to be the way to go. Now only problem is that the clutches I can find on ebay are either OE or racing stage 1 clutches, no heavy duty ones on there?

TheSaint
09-11-2010, 10:10 AM
O.E is pretty much the same thing

if its going on a I/H/E D series than O.E will be fine - but if you have the money to spend just go straight to stage1

mugeneration
10-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks heaps for the advice guys, will be rewarding PQ points soon!

Ended up getting this pack right here for what'll probably turn out to be $650AUD landed over here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350327672675&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Ben, will sort out getting it put in once I have the parts together lol

edit: and it comes with STICKERS! Racing stickers! +20hp just there!