PDA

View Full Version : EM1 b16a2 new throttle body + im

AlexK
21-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Hey guys i have tried to find this thread but i just cant, so i just thought id post it now,
i have a Em1 with b16a2 engine, i have just bought a injen cold air intake, and about to buy a
BLOX 70 mm throttle body, skunk2 PRO S im skunk2 mega power headers with high flow cat as well as a full skunk2/greedy exhaust system, i have preparing the car for a power increase in the engine, so obviously you have to do all the bolt on mods first and have the car breathing fine, but my question is, is a 70mm throttle body with a 76mm IM going to work fine and have no power loss with all these mods.

Thank you alex. :honda:

Tai
21-10-2010, 02:30 PM
A Larger IM and TB will most likely cause a drop in power and response in the bottom end, especially if you havent done internals and have a ecu to tune it with.

You are prob better off leave teh IMa nd TB stock and getting an ECU to tune to match the intake , and exhaust system which I think would yield better gains overall.

ninzee
21-10-2010, 02:50 PM
A Larger IM and TB will most likely cause a drop in power and response in the bottom end, especially if you havent done internals and have a ecu to tune it with.

You are prob better off leave teh IMa nd TB stock and getting an ECU to tune to match the intake , and exhaust system which I think would yield better gains overall.

Tai thats what iv been told too but i went type r IM and TB on my b16a and i made an extra 6kw and i got stock ecu n internals

Tai
21-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Is that at the top end of bottom end?

I know with my old b18c I ran a bigger IM and TB and it lagged on teh bottom end, top end was better though.

dougie_504
21-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Build your head before TB and IM in my opinion.

AlexK
21-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Aaahhhh, because i wanted to do all the breathing mods so then i can do cams and cam gears etc, will it make it that bad ?? If i did these mods now ?
Thanks for all your replys :)

VT3C
25-10-2010, 01:09 PM
...but i went type r IM and TB on my b16a and i made an extra 6kw and i got stock ecu n internals

WTF you got 6Kw (8HP) gain just from ITR TB with no tune etc ??!?!?!!

you sure this wasnt some overly optimistic workshop's dyno that installed the TB ??

6KW from just an OEM Type R TB would have to be the best bang-per-buck mod there is if that is true !!

dougie_504
25-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Aaahhhh, because i wanted to do all the breathing mods so then i can do cams and cam gears etc, will it make it that bad ?? If i did these mods now ?
Thanks for all your replys :)

Just do a CAI with a good air filter, the rest isn't necessary until you've built the head and the engine requires a larger volume of intake IMO.

ninzee
27-10-2010, 01:19 PM
WTF you got 6Kw (8HP) gain just from ITR TB with no tune etc ??!?!?!!

you sure this wasnt some overly optimistic workshop's dyno that installed the TB ??

6KW from just an OEM Type R TB would have to be the best bang-per-buck mod there is if that is true !!

i dno we fukd around with the timing too

jks24
27-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Hey big spender lol

I considered upgrading my TB and IM manifold also back when I first got my EM1 however I declined to go through with it as the majority of people told me it was a waste of money and time and I would more likely loose power. If you really want to do it though Ive been told the IM of the B18cr is just as good and it wont cost you as much as the Skunk2 one :)

AXS
29-10-2010, 02:43 AM
hey mate iv posted a similar thread but it was for my b18c7, upgrading to a 68mm portmatched intake manifold and TB, everyone said no gain/lose gain, but i did not get that result, standard ITR runs 62mm if im not mistaken. my motor is internally stock, i am runnin a injen replica intake, lightened flywheel, tri-y headers, high flow cat and a 2 and a quater exhaust system with a muffler tip, now my bottom end is unbelievable compared to stock IM and stock TB, i didnt get top end or anything but my response was awsome, and power delivery would come on at 2000rpm, my ecu is stock, i jus notice a dull spot right before vtec, and im sure thats due to not having a tune with all these mods...but if you ask me 70mm will be abit big, for a b16a2 go 66mm or 68mm no bigger!

jks24
29-10-2010, 09:44 AM
hey mate iv posted a similar thread but it was for my b18c7, upgrading to a 68mm portmatched intake manifold and TB, everyone said no gain/lose gain, but i did not get that result, standard ITR runs 62mm if im not mistaken. my motor is internally stock, i am runnin a injen replica intake, lightened flywheel, tri-y headers, high flow cat and a 2 and a quater exhaust system with a muffler tip, now my bottom end is unbelievable compared to stock IM and stock TB, i didnt get top end or anything but my response was awsome, and power delivery would come on at 2000rpm, my ecu is stock, i jus notice a dull spot right before vtec, and im sure thats due to not having a tune with all these mods...but if you ask me 70mm will be abit big, for a b16a2 go 66mm or 68mm no bigger!

2.25 exhaust seems small for your setup?

AXS
29-10-2010, 11:31 AM
2.25 exhaust seems small for your setup?

2.5 inch and i would loose too much down low...i wanted response and low down power delivery and i achieved it...plus 2.5inch would get so much louder.

jks24
29-10-2010, 12:02 PM
2.5 inch and i would loose too much down low...i wanted response and low down power delivery and i achieved it...plus 2.5inch would get so much louder.

I can see where you are coming from but remember its a Honda, they are never going to be torquey down low...they make their power when they are revving their hearts out lol

When it comes to racing, yes it can be good to have power down low to help get of the line however remember you are not going to be hanging around 2000-3000rpm for long.

Ive got a 60mm Skunk2 megapower for mine running a B16, 421 Headers. Midrange and top end I have gone for.

dougie_504
29-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah I don't think you'll lose too much low down power with a 60mm exhaust on a B18C7 modded like your's :)

jks24
29-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah I don't think you'll lose too much low down power with a 60mm exhaust on a B18C7 modded like your's :)

I got a mate who had a B18Cr running a 70mm catback with mugen 4-1 headers. Engine was stock internally and she still got off the line good and went like a bat out of hell :D

dougie_504
29-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Yeah I run 60mm Kakimoto on my B16A CRX. Intake, header, cat, head build + ITR MI/TB to come. But with just the intake and full exhaust it goes great, haven't noticed any loss of low down power.
My brother also runs a 60mm Fujitsubo and has no noticeable worries.

However I have a 60mm that will fit my SOHC VTEC D Civic sedan, but I think 60mm will be way too big for that. Might get a 2" system made up and just use the muffler I have on the 60mm...

jks24
29-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Yeah I run 60mm Kakimoto on my B16A CRX. Intake, header, cat, head build + ITR MI/TB to come. But with just the intake and full exhaust it goes great, haven't noticed any loss of low down power.
My brother also runs a 60mm Fujitsubo and has no noticeable worries.

However I have a 60mm that will fit my SOHC VTEC D Civic sedan, but I think 60mm will be way too big for that. Might get a 2" system made up and just use the muffler I have on the 60mm...

Ive heard ITR TB and IM are great bang for buck, did you notice much difference with them on the B16?

VT3C
29-10-2010, 02:27 PM
spoon 60mm (2.33") exhaust on my JDM B16 with mugen 4-1 and spoon cams is GREAT !! power gains accross the rev range when i switched from my old 2.5" system !!

where did you hear ITR IM and TB are great for B16 ? the tests i've seen is a minimal gain on top end with some losses in low and midrange.. that was on stock B16..

dougie_504
29-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Will be hard to tell, they're going on next week with my new reco'd head, enlarged intake/exhaust ports matched to manifolds, re-welded combustion chambers, 3-angle grind, Skunk2 stage 1 cams, Skunk2 adjustable gears, Jun valves, Supertech valve springs & titanium retainers. Also new CAI with Fujita pod.

So yeah...I'm hoping for a power gain but it'll be hard to say which part is contributing how much :)

AXS
31-10-2010, 09:20 AM
See the thing is 60 mm is sought of inbetween 2.25 and 2.5mm, i didnt have the mulla to get a 60mm so i went as close as possible without oversizing it, im wasnt looking to get a tune so i went with a system that would Create back pressure, and other supporting mods to help top end, (tri y headers, cai etc.) Getting off the line isnt hard, its the response in wateva gear im in that would excite me, vtec is awsome but for a daily driver i needed power before vtec too! Hope that sounds clear enough,

Btw, my cuzin is building a all motor b18c and hes going with a 2.5mm exhaust system, now my motors stock (internally anyway) so to me a 2.25 was pefect...

My two cents!