PDA

View Full Version : removing the flywheel

Val
21-10-2010, 05:19 PM
hey guys, noob question - how do you pull out the flywheel? Is there some sort of a tool that locks on and stops it from spinning? I've tried with a socket wrench, but just can't keep it from spinning!

Edit:the engine is a d16 and its already out of the car with gearbox disconnected.

string
21-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Get a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt and lock it against the ground?

Wedge a screwdriver into the flywheel teeth?

Give up and grind off the bolts?

Val
21-10-2010, 06:53 PM
yeah i was leaning towards grinding off the bolts, the angle grinder is my favourite tool at the moment, had to use it on one of the engine mount bolts, amongst other things.

But what i ended up doing is using one of the engine mounts that i wasn't gonna use and boring the hole out to take the gearbox bolt through one hole and used the clutch bolt through the other hole, then mount the engine like a horse and use a breaker bar to undo the bolts. They were a bitch because they are so shallow and the socket kept slipping off.

Just in case anyone else needs to do it later on they can get an idea here....

EgFanatic
22-10-2010, 04:12 PM
use a rattle gun OR call up honda and ask for a special tool number and go buy the tool off ebay.

Lukey
22-10-2010, 04:29 PM
even though youve already got it off, my adivce it to have 2 people. one person at the crankshaft bolt with a sockket and biggg breaker bar

na-118
22-10-2010, 04:36 PM
get a strong enough rattle gun dont worry about the other help

Lukey
22-10-2010, 04:39 PM
id say it also depends if ur doing it on a hoist or not, we did my clutch on the ground so there wasnt enough room for a rattle gun (cos we only moved the gearbox out of the way enough to get at all the bolts), not that we had one or a compressor

na-118
22-10-2010, 04:42 PM
**** of a job without a compressor

Lukey
22-10-2010, 05:06 PM
yup. gotta do what you gotta do with what you have though.

Val
28-10-2010, 05:10 PM
got a cheapo compressor, so that didn't help haha and the gearbox is completely off and the engine is out so heaps of room.

jdm_b16a
28-10-2010, 06:00 PM
use a rattle gun OR call up honda and ask for a special tool number and go buy the tool off ebay.

Honda do not sell any special tool to do this job! Even though the FSM lists a tool and a part number, Honda do not have it or sell it. The tool off eBay is not necessary either.

You can remove the flywheel bolts with either a rattle gun or you can lock it up by using two appropriate length ring spanners attached to the block and two clutch bolts, then just use a torque wrench. Flywheel bolts aren't torqued up to any great strength anyway, just needs a star point socket.

Peter