PDA

View Full Version : Car running sluggish/slow

itequilla
22-10-2010, 01:13 PM
All,

im having a problem with my car where when accelerating or trying to gain speed quickly
the car feels slower than usual, it feels as if its misfiring, the car has no from engine leaks,engine oil is topped up and im always running V-power. I have a 1999 Civic Em1,

Has anyone come across this problem and has fixed it?

96VTi-R
22-10-2010, 02:51 PM
I've just recently having this problem with my dc2 vtir, i can feel and hear mine misfiring, sputtering and chokes as it tries to rev up, although it doesn't do it all the time, I'm going to check it out this arvo with my mechanic mate and see if he can sus it out, ill let you know how i go man. My guess is something to do with spark plugs or leads but I'm no mechanic so don't take my word for it lol

dougie_504
22-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Clean your plugs and intake (carby cleaner) firstly

96VTi-R
22-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I just checked the bit in which the spark plugs go and one of mine has a fair bit of water in it, so much that i cant even see the plug, 1 is fine, 2 has a little, 3 has heaps, 4 fine, I'm guessing this is the problem with mine, you should check yours too, its just a matter of taking of the spark plug cover and pulling the leads out and having a look in the tubes.

96VTi-R
22-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I just soaked out all the water that was in the tubes and my car is running fine now man, give that a try, good luck

TheSaint
22-10-2010, 05:22 PM
your rocker cover seals might be dead - you should really replace them with an OEM rocker cover seal + gasket kit

other ways to correct this problem is to clean out the intake with carby/throttle body cleaner (subaru upper engine cleaner ftw), get ur injectors cleaned, run a fuel system cleaner through your car or use a higher grade of fuel
other things known to help with this is to clean the FITV and EGR, get new plugs + leads, clean the contacts in ur dizzy and replace the fuel filter

dougie_504
22-10-2010, 05:29 PM
I just checked the bit in which the spark plugs go and one of mine has a fair bit of water in it, so much that i cant even see the plug, 1 is fine, 2 has a little, 3 has heaps, 4 fine, I'm guessing this is the problem with mine, you should check yours too, its just a matter of taking of the spark plug cover and pulling the leads out and having a look in the tubes.

How does water get in there? Oil I can understand, but not water?

mnc
22-10-2010, 07:03 PM
when you wash your engine bay and dont cover up your spark plug area. ^^

96VTi-R
22-10-2010, 11:05 PM
yea i washed the engine bay the other day too locate a small oil leak, water must of some how got through.

DC2-PWR
22-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I've had a simular problem too,

my mechanic told me to pour in that Nulon Injector cleaner ~ then fill up full tank of petrol (98 octane).

After the tank reached half tank or so, car felt a lot better. Then it just got better and better. Now its runs really good and havn't had any problems since.
Good luck,

TheSaint
23-10-2010, 01:31 PM
I've had a simular problem too,

my mechanic told me to pour in that Nulon Injector cleaner ~ then fill up full tank of petrol (98 octane).

After the tank reached half tank or so, car felt a lot better. Then it just got better and better. Now its runs really good and havn't had any problems since.
Good luck,

yeah same results with both my Dc2 and EG8 - nulon fuel system + injector cleaner + vortex98 = win

itequilla
23-10-2010, 11:32 PM
ive already replaced the plugs today and i dont think its any water clogging in the spark leads or either the spark plugs
seems like a problem with fuel injectors onto fuel filter,
will do a service on fuel filter and oil filter if that doesnt work will work my way to the injectors,
any other way to clean injectors other than Nulon ? any DIY thread will help thanks all

itequilla
23-10-2010, 11:33 PM
i went to mechanic today and he said its nothing to with sparks or either injectors,
from experience he reved the hell out of my motor and said it seems fine on revving so he suggested it will possibly be electrical?
any ideas of what electrical problem this will be anyone?

mnc
24-10-2010, 02:13 AM
Have you tried testing your ecu for codes?

dougie_504
24-10-2010, 03:20 PM
i went to mechanic today and he said its nothing to with sparks or either injectors,
from experience he reved the hell out of my motor and said it seems fine on revving so he suggested it will possibly be electrical?
any ideas of what electrical problem this will be anyone?

Just reset your ECU (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?38742-Resetting-your-ECU-with-BIG-O) and if that doesn't do anything maybe try Beeza's 'Calibrating the Voltage on the TPS' DIY (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?120191-DIY-Calibrating-the-Voltage-on-the-TPS).

itequilla
25-10-2010, 08:13 PM
i think the DIY thread will be a bit complicated for me,
is there anyone in sydney that would be able do the job and how much would it cost?

itequilla
25-10-2010, 08:14 PM
i dont have the tools and i dont want to ruin anything to make it worse the reason why