PDA

View Full Version : My distributor died..

jusybabe
23-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi guys,

My distributor decided to die on Monday morning as I was just about to leave for work. My car wouldn't start....then came back from work and we had a look and found out it was the daymn distributor. Honda quoted over $2k for an OEM one..OUCH. So definetly won't be buying it from there.
Suggestions of places where to get a new distributor for my 1995 Civic GLi??

chauster
23-10-2010, 04:06 PM
whole dizzy or just the coil? any wreckers will have a dizzy. honda wreck, hondworld. not that i'd go to any of them.
dizzy is what? 200-300$? correct me if im wrong.

SajadEG
23-10-2010, 05:35 PM
2k for a dizzy??????????

i have a 95 Gli too and they are no more than $200 at my honda wrecker...

chauster
23-10-2010, 05:37 PM
2k for a dizzy??????????

i have a 95 Gli too and they are no more than $200 at my honda wrecker...

Yeah man say brand new dizzy = 600$
install x8 hr job= 400$
money to go buy some meat pies =1000$

jusybabe
23-10-2010, 10:10 PM
i am foh schizzle...dunno why its so expensive...but even the parts dude said not to buy OEM cos it was a rip! and i swear it was just for the whole part, no labour n shit. HA....they're outta their mind!
had bad experience with hondworld so not going back there.
will be going to the wreckers tomorrow...if i can't find anything then i'm going to buy a new one for $300ish and install it myself...=)

grifty
24-10-2010, 08:05 AM
have a look on ebay, you can get brand new aftermarket ones for about $200-250 from the states

Lukey
24-10-2010, 08:15 AM
http://stores.ebay.com/DISTRIBUTOR-KING

jusybabe
25-10-2010, 09:26 PM
thanks Lukey :)

jusybabe
28-10-2010, 09:42 PM
turns out its not my distributor....!
my boy had a look and apparently the dizzy looks brand new inside...hahaha
next thing to check is the fuel pump... -_-"

Limbo
31-10-2010, 11:20 AM
even if the parts look new in teh distributor it could be the ICM which is a common problem with hondas

Fuel pump is easy to check.
Look for the fuel line up to the rail. Then get someone to turn the car to on and off while someone holds it.
You should feel the pressure of the pipes when u turn on and off, if not then its the fuel pump. ucky hondas are easy to replace fuel pumps.

Limbo
31-10-2010, 11:20 AM
P.S if you have an OBD2 distributor i have a new one availble, PM me if your interested its alot cheaper than the ones you've stated

Lukey
31-10-2010, 01:49 PM
the coil in my distributor shit itself last weekend, took a bit of troubleshooting and diagnosis to work out what it was, so i got a few questions to hopefully help you out.

1. are you getting spark at the spark plugs?
you can test this by taking out off the plug lead, then taking the spark plug out and putting it back in the lead, then hold the spark plug thread on a ground somewhere (the rockercover bolts are fine) and crank it over, you should see a nice bright blue spark, if you arent getting a spark then you can start diagnosing the parts in the dizzy. you will need a test light to diagnose the dizzy parts.

here is a video on how to diagnose the parts of the dizzy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K78XIhhjAQ

2. can you hear the fuel pump priming?
you should hear a buzzing/brrrrr sound for a couple of seconds when you turn the key to ignition on. if you can id probably say it isnt the fuel pump.

id say first of all see if you are getting spark.

jusybabe
09-11-2010, 09:20 PM
tested spark plugs....they were fine.
wasn't the fuel pump...
turns out that it was the distributor. the coil needs replacing as well as the igniter unit. hopefully i'm using the correct terms! sorry, still very noob.
will be buying a new dizzy to get my little baby up and running...
watch out for my eg thread!

checkers
09-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Good luck with it.