PDA

View Full Version : [CU2] Milano Red

demoiree
25-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi everyone,

Yes , I've a MR CU2 :cool: , and recently i realized that this color has a dark side!It will eventually fade to milano pink :( , anyone here owns a Milano red honda? are you guys experiencing color fading?

during the day my car will be in a building , and evening i'll drive it back home and it will be outside overnight.hopefully the evening sun not as deadly as the afternoon sun.

the red now is just too beautiful, and i really want to preserve it as well as i can , is there any tips to take care of the paint , preventing it from color fade?such as ming shine coating or other similar product will help?

I'm planning to drive this car for at least 6-8 years , hope the color will keep up till then

cheers

EuroZed
25-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Hello

I have seen a CL9 few months ago discounted for that reason (faded paint) on the boot.
It was a face lift 06 model. Lovely car besides the paint fade .... I think some good clay polish/wax will maintain and protect it for sure.
Try Dodo products, bit pricey but amazing results...

acurabot
25-10-2010, 02:16 PM
I have a MR DC5 (2001 my2002 model) and the colour still is great. No signs of fading yet. I do polish every few months or so but not too often.

EuroZed
25-10-2010, 02:17 PM
i think taking care of your car with regular wash and polish would maintain it well specially a red?
dont know why that cl9 i saw had fading though on the boot and surrounding areas

demoiree
25-10-2010, 02:18 PM
I have a MR DC5 (2001 my2002 model) and the colour still is great. No signs of fading yet. I do polish every few months or so but not too often.

hi all thanks for the replies , how often you park your car outside?

CivicEH9
25-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I used to have a milano red eg
Wouldn't say it was quite at the pink stage yet and I've seen others that were a lot worse
but there were a couple of places it had been resprayed after repairs and you could see just how faded it really was.
In all fairness though it was a 17 year old car

I would think if you keep it properly cleaned and waxed it should last for quite a while
and seeing as it's being kept outside you might consider a good car cover

EuroZed
25-10-2010, 02:21 PM
yes, UV here is a big culprit :(

HunterZero
26-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah, parking the car under cover out of sunlight is the best option. I've seen a few pinkish CL9 Euros around. The finish looks dull and chalky as well as slightly pink. There's no magic elixir to stop this if you park the car outside all the time.

Also I'm still not 100% sure if the Milano Red on the Euro is clear coated. I am pretty sure it is. Anyone have a Milano Red Euro, and after polishing it seen red come up on the rag?

If the car is clear coated, then polishing away at the clear coat will bring back gloss and some depth of colour as you polish off the oxidised clear coat, but the red underneath would still look not as vibrant as it was when new.

Paint code is:

R-81 Milano Red Tricoat/Clearcoat

- HZ

demoiree
26-10-2010, 12:25 PM
not sure the clear coat will come off easily ,and it might look dull if the clear coat has come off? is there any product out there act like a permanent UV coating for the paint ?

really sad that this brilliant color will not last! i guess nothing is best in both world :(

HunterZero
26-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Just to be clear - I didn't mean polishing off all the clear coat! Just polishing the top layer of the clear back to expose 'fresh' clear.

If you polished through the clear coat it would look horrible...

- HZ

demoiree
26-10-2010, 02:38 PM
i see,what I've read from other forums , clearcoat is a transparent layer above the base paint , so by polishing the coating will not revive the color as clear coat is transparent.

schonda
26-10-2010, 10:18 PM
I saw a marone coloured CL9 the other day at blacktown dealer and i stopped and went to ask the dealer how come they come in marone was it repainted? He said never this is a standard colour, plenty of them, best colour hahahha...

*I think it's spelt maroon sorry.

alz_275
30-10-2010, 06:50 AM
I have a milano red(pink) CL9 euro. Whole car including inside the engine bay is faded big time. I only found this out when i had my rear quarter panel resprayed by Honda. Thinking about painting it a different colour. Any suggestions???

CivicEH9
30-10-2010, 12:10 PM
I'd say go for black or blue. Always been my favourite colours for the Euro
So many choices of shades in those colours but I'd just go with the stock ones. Not 100% sure on the codes for CL9 though

alz_275
30-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Was goin to paint it black but i have just recently moved to Brisbane and I hate the heat! Maybe a deep Blue with Silver flake through it.

antony
30-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Best colour for Euros is Silver,and I am not biased or anything like that...lol.

I have a my11 Euro in Buran Silver,which is more Champagne to me than anything else.

HunterZero
30-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Any of the standard CL9 Honda colours look good. Nighthawk Black looks stunning when clean, easily the best looking colour but very hard to keep it that way without a lot of work. Gunmetal and Cobalt are a good compromise, still looks really nice and glossy since they are relatively dark colours, but don't show the swirls and dust quite as badly as black. Pearl White and Silver are the easiest colours to maintain and don't show swirls very much, but they show very little gloss/reflections so it's hard to get them to look super clean.

But a colour change is going to be a royal PITA and very expensive to do properly, because they would have to dismantle almost the entire car to change colour. Eg, inside the engine bay, boot etc. You'd be better off selling the car and buying another.

- HZ

shanesk888
01-11-2010, 03:31 PM
same here, my 06 euro's gone pink on the top only where the side part of the car remains red. Ive seen older cars that have the same colour as our red euros and they are still good. Is it a factory fault?

demoiree
03-11-2010, 07:58 AM
i think the essential thing to do is to keep the car clean and WAX the car every 2-3 months, also try not to keep it outside for long periods.. I've ordered Autoglym High definition wax , apparently it is the best wax out there .. and last around 40-50 washes.

HunterZero
03-11-2010, 11:39 AM
i think the essential thing to do is to keep the car clean and WAX the car every 2-3 months, also try not to keep it outside for long periods.. I've ordered Autoglym High definition wax , apparently it is the best wax out there .. and last around 40-50 washes.

Carnauba waxes don't last more than 2-3 months or more than 7-10 washes. I am extremely skeptical of a claim that this will last 40-50 washes. Just so you know...

- HZ

demoiree
03-11-2010, 12:04 PM
i agree, however I'm not sure autoglym's high def wax is actually carnauba wax, probably some other substance which can last longer? will try it out and let you know ;)

HunterZero
03-11-2010, 12:43 PM
i agree, however I'm not sure autoglym's high def wax is actually carnauba wax, probably some other substance which can last longer? will try it out and let you know ;)

"High Definition Wax contains a carefully balanced complex blend of durable polymers, Carnauba and microcrystalline waxes, combined with selected solid saturated hydrocarbons and oils."

The oils are usually only there to make the hard waxes into a workable paste. It might have some sort of polymer sealant type compound in it, which might be what lasts, but I'd imagine the gloss would lose most of its lustre after a dozen or so washes. It might last 50 washes if you washed it 50 days in a row with little to no car soap, without leaving it outside or getting it dirty! Let us know how you get on with it at any rate.

- HZ

aaronng
03-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Without a UV blocker in the wax/sealant, the paint is just going to turn pink unfortunately. The red pigment used in the paint is not as UV-stable as the other colours.

demoiree
04-11-2010, 08:06 AM
its time to apply some 1000SPF sun lotion on the car :P