PDA

View Full Version : need help buying 5th gen prelude

davit
26-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Hi guys,

I looked at a black 1998 prelude vtir, auto, bodykit. With about 130,000kms. Asking price is 7k. Body is ok, interior is immaculate. But it feels like it is slipping 1st and 2nd gear, if i drive slowly it is ok.

Should I do it?

Wascally Wabbit
26-10-2010, 01:43 PM
no. apart from the slipping issue it's an auto...I guess that's handy if you're in a big city but still, manual > auto. although you could buy it and just convert to manual...if you have extra $ lying around.

act_gooner
27-10-2010, 12:34 AM
I have heard the early BB6 models have a lot of issues with the automatics, so maybe should stay away. Anyway, with a car like a 5th gen Prelude you really want it in manual.

gumus89
29-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I would never recommend getting an auto BB6 in any case, let alone if its already showing signs of failing.
I have a manual and I drive in the city. It got to the stage where now I dont even think when I drive. Its piss easy to drive in traffic once you get used to it.

furorsekka
29-10-2010, 08:15 PM
i second gumus89's post, also i've also heard that alot of the bb6 models have auto transmission problems don't quote me on the validity of this information though hahah just what i read around forums

gumus89
30-10-2010, 05:10 PM
On the american forums its a notorious failure. Some fail early, some fail late, some not at all. But the chance is just too high and the car too slow anyway to risk it.
Someone I know has an auto thats fine, drove a manual and said it felt like a different car.

migoreng
30-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I was like zzzzzzz when I drove my cousin's 2000 model auto bb6...
:P
Manual ftw!

Mikecivic78
31-10-2010, 01:00 AM
As below. Buy a manual. (I'm a purist and i hate autos.) It's too risky with that bb6 auto transmission

justin_huynh
02-11-2010, 09:45 AM
yea you should get an manual
from experience i was given a prelude as a gift as a first car from rents and after proberly 6 months the transmission died and cost about 4 grand to fix it at nevilles at bankstown
this was just replacing the clutches that was gone and an active torque steer that was a reconditioned one anyways
althought it cost abit they did a good job and i have 12 months warentty on it
btw it started off by sliping in first when the engine was cold then turned into a big problem afterwoods

Niche14
09-11-2010, 11:15 PM
its not that im against autos. but the BB6 are known for a terrible trip-tonic auto gearbox. before you but it. check everything you wouldnt check.
check the walls where the wheels are, if theres like pieces of rubber stuck all over it, most likely burnouts. so the engine might not be in top. so check the engine.check if theres any bends to the chassis at all, if something doesnt match at all, most prob in an acident also such as cracks in the radiator, piping and fluids.
also check underneath the car, check if theres any holes, its got a bodykit? is it lowered? if it isnt lowered, most prob u wont find any holes, but check the kit for scratches and home repairs. if its got a sunroof, move it up and down. some usually bounce when opening but its cause of a build up of dirt in the rails, or could be more serious, but mos prob just dirt.
also when checking the tyres, check the inside of it, mostly wears out there more than anywhere else.
now being VTiR your gonna want to try out the vtec. let the car warm up before it, cause the ecu wont let it engage, check if theres a massive amount of black smoke comming out the back when it hits vtec, if there is, its giving you the idea, that the oil filter needs changing because VTEC lives off your oil and it could use a bit so check oil level.
also about smoke, check if it blows any smoke, white=BAD, Black= ok cause bb6's are made to run rich anyway so dont worry.

NaChOs
10-11-2010, 11:48 AM
^^^ great advice!