PDA

View Full Version : LSD - Helical / Clutch Type

27-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Okaaay,

Which is better?
what is your choice

By Y1 box has no LSD on it, so im thinking of getting one and put it on.
Problem is there is 2 options

Helical type (MFactory, Quafie) or the Clutch Type (ATS, Cusco, Stock Oem)

Give me your input boys :)
How do they behave on the track?

Thanks,
Chris

henrygiang
27-10-2010, 01:53 PM
i did some research on this a while back. they both have pros and cons. Helical for daily, clutch type is better for track

Helical:
no maintenance other than gearbox oil change
needs both wheels to have traction to be effective - ie. if one wheel is off the ground, both wheels dont lock and works effectively like an open diff
Quieter than clutch type

Clutch type:
specified gearbox oil - i have a cusco and their gearbox oil is like $50/L
clutch eventually wears out needs to be changed/serviced
better for track since both wheels lock even when only one wheel has traction
noisier than helical type LSD

Fairly certain that the stock honda oem LSD is helical type too. If its a track car, definitely clutch type but if its a daily, go with helical type.

someone feel free to correct me if im wrong on anything

89lude
27-10-2010, 02:09 PM
yea i got a ats clutch type it clunk on low speed corering but apparently i should use diff oil and noise will quiet down good on the track but if your just daily stick to oem and oem is a helical

27-10-2010, 02:27 PM
This will go to a track car :) dont care about noise what so ever lol..

what i found that Helical is cheaper then the Clutch type.. =/
+ life time warranty for quafie ones

e240
27-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi Chris

Just to let you know - MFactory also has Clutch LSD (Metal LSD) of the following varients - 1.0way , 1.0/1.5way, 1.5/2.0way (Allowing you to tailor to your driving style).
The MFactory Metal & Helical LSDs have great success in street and race cars (IPRA and Rallying within Australia) itself, notwithstanding around the world.

Stock OEM is NOT a clutch type LSD, its a Helical - although there is a stock Viscous, but stay away - they're pretty shait..

Now, which LSD - that depends on your application.

A helical LSD is suitable for majority of Street Applications - because once installed properly, due the the fact that its just gears, its maintenance free save for the regular gear box servicings. It also doesn't require special oils. Will it work on the track - Yes it will and for most parts, it is sufficient for the typical track day enthusiast.

The disadvantage is that it will not work effectively in some situations, where one wheel looses grip - in which case, power is then transmitted to the free wheel, reducing the effects of LSD.
That being said, it will work under majority of conditions so you don't really have to worry about that.

The Metal LSD uses clutches and slips when one wheel is turning faster than the other (the clunking sound) but it is a "true" LSD in that it actually limits slip and will work when one wheel looses grip.
This is suitable for say a track car or a Hard Core Trackie who wants maximum performance from their machine and are willing to put up with some inconvenience.

The Metal LSD will require some maintenance (as the clutch plates wear under slip) and suitable oils. Maintenance regimes vary, depending on the usage - for a full track car pulling the box out every season to check.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Okaaay,

Which is better?
what is your choice

By Y1 box has no LSD on it, so im thinking of getting one and put it on.
Problem is there is 2 options

Helical type (MFactory, Quafie) or the Clutch Type (ATS, Cusco, Stock Oem)

Give me your input boys :)
How do they behave on the track?

Thanks,
Chris

will88
27-10-2010, 06:34 PM
which category does the cusco 1.5way type rz/mz fall under?

henrygiang
27-10-2010, 06:48 PM
which category does the cusco 1.5way type rz/mz fall under?

cusco is clutch type