PDA

View Full Version : CL9 OEM Navigation Upgrade Project

Kodak
27-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I have found the OEM navigation system a little lacking so what started out as wanting to know what track was playing on my IPOD has led me too a few upgrades:
1. Install Monitor Switch
2a. Rear View Camera
2b. Nokia Display (May be the IPOD one day)
3. Car PC
4. Touch control of car PC
Ideally all plug and play

I installed the monitor switch a few weeks ago, a little tricky too make plug and play as I had to chase up the right connectors (TYCO) and custom make a PCB to go inline with the harness. I went for a unit (MODEL: RGB-LE-V3.1) that has 2 + reverse composite inputs as well as an additional "nav' RGBS input that I can use for the PC.

Completed part two this afternoon. I found an OEM style camera from the CU2 clicks right in to the CL9, replacing one of the number plate lamps, (see pics), I had to dremel the lamp cover slightly. I also connected one of my spare composite inputs too my Nokia Navigator. I'm actually pretty happy with that result (will up load a pic later). The Media Player looks great on the screen as does OVI Maps - Free Maps :thumbsup:

Part 3 in on its way (I hope). I have purchased a VGA to RGBS converter (GBS-8100) off Alibaba, need a bit more work before I can tick that one off. Also need to look at purchasing a small netbook that I can tuck away somewhere and also investigate a good front end for the PC (eg. Centrafuse)

Part 4 is a long term project as a lot of work, although I have started collecting some bits already (GANET controller and a PIC micro).

racerwannabe
27-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Nice work buddy.

kuyar11
28-10-2010, 12:19 AM
pure genius!

Kodak
28-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Here are a few photos showing my Nokia Navigator in action

npcan2
28-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Man, that is insane! Nice work!!
I know how hard it is to integrate OEM stuff with aftermarket stuff. Super effort!

btw, is the reverse camera from the CU2 PAL or NTSC?

Kodak
28-10-2010, 01:53 PM
I assume it is NTSC as I had to switch the Nokia to NTSC to stop the screen rolling. I haven't had the chance to play with the switch box menu as I still need to mount the IR LED, but I've been told it does both.

npcan2
28-10-2010, 02:08 PM
kk, nice man.
So hows the quality of the reverse camera in day and night conditions?

Kodak
28-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Day time and night time is fine, reverse lights do a great job of lighting up the rear at night, easily see 10 to 15 meters behind the car.

lam.tech
30-10-2010, 06:38 AM
for the Nokia Navigator, is it using the phone one, or the car one?

also, what band is it for the MODEL: RGB-LE-V3.1, where can i get it from

Xplodin
30-10-2010, 07:54 AM
dude this is awesome! i wanted to do this to my nav for a long time! a Very Very long time but couldn't find anything... so i gave up... i would also like to know where to get these devices and help would be great! Kudos to you mate!

Kodak
30-10-2010, 04:10 PM
for the Nokia Navigator, is it using the phone one, or the car one?

also, what band is it for the MODEL: RGB-LE-V3.1, where can i get it from

Its the mobile 6710, although any device that can support composite out can be used

The RGB-LE-V3.1 can be found at a few places online for example:
http://www.gsmserver.com/shop/universal_rgb_low_end_converter.php
although I got the converter and camera (CA-518) from INWELL http://www.szinwell.com/products.asp

Kodak
01-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Hi All,
Just a brief update, my RGB-LE-V3.1 has developed a fault and video inputs are only being displayed in black and white :(
I'd hold off on any orders for now. I will update if I get the issue resolved.

On a positive note, I picked up an EEE PC from Harvey Norman over the weekend for $194. Should make a nice Car PC :) I've installed ride runner as the front end and am trialling the DFX 5.0.3 skin, Looks promising.

xsite85
09-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi guys,

it's been over 1 year since i've posted on this forum.. but it's great to be back with brilliant and clever minds making what is already good to something awesome.

i would like to suggest a concept, which requires no cutting of your OEM setup, not sure if this would work.. but it would be a great project. Here is the 2 items i was thinking of implementing:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-ITX-Carputer-Intel-D510MO-M2-ATX-2GB-RAM-/160401193370?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item2558a7f99a

and

http://www.avelectronic.com/NavigationVid-Switcher.html

This navtigation switcher should enable alot of functions which would be perfect for the car-puter, i'm guessing all that the car-puter would need is a wireless dongle for internet access and we're set.

Kodak
09-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Hi xsite85, From the picture, the av unit looks just like an AV switcher with AV inoputs/outputs. According to the text it could work, but you would need to make sure that the unit converts the video signals to RGBS. The carPC looks ok, there are seveal models on the market. One step you will need though is to convert the VGA output to a RGBS or composite signal inorder to interface with your screen or switch box

Kodak
09-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Hi All,
Just a brief update, my RGB-LE-V3.1 has developed a fault and video inputs are only being displayed in black and white :(
I'd hold off on any orders for now. I will update if I get the issue resolved.

On a positive note, I picked up an EEE PC from Harvey Norman over the weekend for $194. Should make a nice Car PC :) I've installed ride runner as the front end and am trialling the DFX 5.0.3 skin, Looks promising.

Just thought I'd update on this, I am talking with the manufacture of the unit and they have been helpful and quick to respond. I need to take a small video and pics for them which I will do later in the week.

Kodak
24-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Received my replacement unit today direct from the manufacturer. The were great to deal with and responded to emails with in a day or two. Hope to have it installed later in the day.
I would stay clear from INWELL as I still waiting to get a response from them.

captdel
26-11-2010, 10:25 AM
wish i could get my stock one to display cd art!
how hard is it to implement this, without the reverse camera n all the other magic?

Kodak
26-11-2010, 10:48 AM
That is where I started, or a least track title. Only way is to use a multimedia interface then you can connect another device that displays the cd art (such as a PC, phone, etc). Most of the work involves installing the interface, In itself not that hard. There are a few basic models that come ready plug and play but they are not cheap.

captdel
26-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Only way is to use a multimedia interface then you can connect another device that displays the cd art .

can you please point me towards a device that can half this? Ideally i would use an ipod or something alike..

Kodak
26-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Here is one option:
http://www.tvandnav2go.com/acura_honda_video_modifications.php
What Ipod have you got? My classic won't output the display so you would need a device such as the DLO home dock to provide the menu(or a PC ;-) ) I am not sure about the IPOD touch etc. You would need to confirm what video provided by connecting to a tv. I am pretty sure you need the apple tv-out cable regardless.

You'll also need an IPOD interface to listen to the music and give you steering wheel controls

captdel
02-12-2010, 10:28 AM
i havent got any ipod at the moment, but would happily buy the requuired one... i might look into this as the standard 6 stacker is giving me the sh*ts!

Kodak
17-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Warning to all is to stay clear of the units I mentioned (manufacturer QDIS see http://www.qdis.co.kr/) as both the original unit and replacement unit have failed. I am still looking for a replacement

marty181
07-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Hi.. I feel like a bit of an idiot for asking... but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere... It must be very obvious.

Can someone point out to me where the 'computer' for the navigation system is located in a 2007 euro? I have been looking at various interface devices that will enable me to put in a reverse camera and I understand that the unit needs to plug into the navigation 'computer'. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Kodak
07-03-2011, 11:22 PM
With the CL9 the navigation computer is below the screen, part of the DVD drive.

marty181
07-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone (especially Kodak seeing as you have pretty much implemented your project to the same stage as I have) has got around the problem of pressing that annoying 'ok' button when the screen is first powered up.

When the car is first started, the driver needs to press the 'ok' button on the disclaimer screen otherwise the screen shuts off after around 30 seconds. A problem with the reverse camera setup arises if the ok button is not pressed within this time - the screen will be switched off when the car is put into reverse at a later stage and there will be no image on the screen unless that button has been pressed.

If anyone has any tips / suggestions I would really appreciate it!

Cheers

Kodak
07-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi Marty, No I haven't got around the ok button, I tend to just press the map button which usually gives enough time to park.
Removal the "ok" button would require a change to the firmware, I have played with the firmware before but only as far as changing the start up image.

marty181
11-09-2011, 11:32 AM
That's what I have been doing as well. It's a shame because ideally the system should be fully automatic. Do you have any idea what is involved in tweaking the firmware?

Kodak
15-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Yeah would be nice. If you google acura tsx nag screen, you should find plenty of posts from the US that have successfully removed it. The modification to the firmware described will not work "as is" with our firm ware as it is totally different, but the approach should be the similar

king9
16-09-2011, 02:47 AM
Are you still able to use the Car's touch screen function on the NAV to control the input (nokia navigator?)

Kodak
16-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Not yet, but part of the project will be to develope an interface that will enable control of a PC using the touch screen. Won't be able to control the nokia.

Kodak
03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Decided to dust off this project.
I have just received the Arduino Leonardo that I had ordered a couple weeks back.

The Arduino itself will take car of all the mouse control. I have modiefied a few example sketches and managed to move a mouse pointer around the screen.
Hopefully it won't take to much work to interface it to the IEBUS controller via I2C and start reading coordinates from the touch screen via the bus. I have a wire tap waiting ;)

longers
26-07-2012, 01:04 AM
sorry to bump and old thread, but how did you get the reverse camera to work?

Kodak
26-07-2012, 03:14 PM
you need a multimedia interface/ video switcher inline with the screen and a camera :P

longers
27-07-2012, 02:17 AM
able to point me in a direction? don't know what i'm exactly looking for lol

Kodak
27-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Have you read the thread?
something like this:
http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=149&cat=3&page=1
or this:
http://www.tvandnav2go.com/acura_honda_video_modifications.php

Lots of options around:
http://www.google.com/search?q=accord+multimedia+interface

Stay clear of manufacturer QDIS http://www.qdis.co.kr/

ChaosMaster
27-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Damn, Kodak, you freaken legend. If only I was any good with tech...

MRH-22A
21-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Kodak have you had any research into GA-NET+ w/ Centrafuse?

Looks good on youtube but will it work on our Aussie cars?

Kodak
21-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Video looks great. It looks like they use this device
http://tempgp.com/dynamic/?page=4
at $995 its not cheap

MRH-22A
22-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Not cheap but looks quality man.

Where's your project at now Kodak?

Kodak
25-11-2012, 08:04 PM
I've programmed an arduino to move a mouse pointer around to fixed coordinates. Still alot to do regarding interfacing to the touch screen commands themselves... Just been to busy :(