PDA

View Full Version : Going away for 1 month, how to avoid battery go flat.

lf1234
29-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Sorry to start a new thread, I searched the forum, but couldn't get a clear answer, they were about resetting ECU etc...

If there is a post, pls send me a link, and you can remove my post..

Here are my questions about avoiding batt go flat after going away for 1-1.5 months:

1. what is the standard procedures..? like unplug the positive or negative pole of the battery? or both?

2. what's the difference between positive pole and negative pole? or they are the same? i can just unplug any one?

3. after 1 month when i'm back, will the ECU get resetted? (i don't really want the ECU to reset..)

Thanks again everyone...!! :D

Type R Positive
29-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Standard procedure:

Leave everything as is! Seriously. 6 weeks is nothing.

npcan2
29-10-2010, 12:30 PM
You should get someone to drive the car one every few weeks... but if you can't...

1. Disconnect negative terminal.

2. Positive terminal has power running through it (eg. dont touch it while touching metal).

3. The ECU will reset, and its not a bad thing. Its equivilant to turning your laptop or desktop computer off. When you connect the negative terminal back up, just let the car idle for 5 minutes before you drive again. The only thing you will notice is your preset radio stations will be gone :(.

Hope this helps

markismaximus
29-10-2010, 01:01 PM
if its only for a month leave it as is. Shouldn't have any issues with starting when you get back.

flipfire
29-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Id unplug the terminal.

Kodak
29-10-2010, 01:15 PM
If your really worried (and park in a garage) pick up a trickle charger from Jaycar

Type R Positive
29-10-2010, 03:03 PM
I used to work in the mines, fly in/fly out, and the contractor guys were always on site for 4 weeks at a time. They just park in the long term car park......
Not like you are doing it all the time like these guys, and they do nothing.

I've even left my Euro and Prado for 2+ months when I went to USA. No problems, nor should there have been......

lf1234
01-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Great! thanks everyone again!! I'll just leave it :D

buddah51au
01-11-2010, 10:39 PM
You could always get 1 of these - http://www.durst.com.au/ I have a BCS-A1203 & just leave it connected when not using the car for long periods. Not the cheapest unit around, but you get what you pay for. Check out the smart charger in the sub menu.

tron07
02-11-2010, 08:10 AM
I doubt its a good idea leaving a trickle charger running... for me, I even turn off all the eletrical appliances and unplug them, tv, PS3, DVD, kettle, microwave, lamp, etc... you will never know....

buddah51au
02-11-2010, 09:21 AM
each to their own ideas. once the battery is fully charged it goes into a float mode with a current draw of 4 amps which is negligible.

tknova
02-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Leave the car running ;)

Really, just leave it. If the battery is flat on your return, just jump start it with a jump start kit.

I don't like the idea of leaving your car on trickle charge for long periods of time.

biee2
02-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Standard procedure:

Leave everything as is! Seriously. 6 weeks is nothing.

are you for real? my car dies on me if i leave it alone for 1 week =(
does this mean i have a battery fault or something?

MWAKU
02-11-2010, 11:24 PM
i didnt drive my car for 2 weeks my batt went flat :)

Type R Positive
03-11-2010, 06:32 PM
does this mean i have a battery fault or something?You can get it tested. Batteries need changing every few years too. You can even test your alternator.
Dies after 1 week? Something is definately wrong.....

Type R Positive
03-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Leave the car running ;)

Really, just leave it. If the battery is flat on your return, just jump start it with a jump start kit.

I don't like the idea of leaving your car on trickle charge for long periods of time.
The yanks do it with their bikes over winter period, 6 months or so.
You are supposed to remove the battery from the car, and put it on a trickle charger to store the battery for months.....

white_ep3_civic
03-11-2010, 06:57 PM
does this mean i have a battery fault or something?

1 week. Something is definitely wrong. I never drive my car from monday - friday as I have a work car and every saturday morning it starts fine.

ks_87
03-11-2010, 07:30 PM
I have a vafc2. Just curious of ill-effects if the battery dies while I'm away for extended period time?

V205
03-11-2010, 08:28 PM
If you battery is in decent condition, I wouldn't worry about 4 weeks.

biee2
03-11-2010, 09:33 PM
You can get it tested. Batteries need changing every few years too. You can even test your alternator.
Dies after 1 week? Something is definately wrong.....

yep....1 week exactly with out starting and my batteries are empty. at first i just thought it was my bad luck but its happened a few times now and its currently dead atm in the garage coz my mum been overseas and i been driving her subby =.=" went out to start her up the other night to keep her alive but she was gone b4 i could mak it LOL

think im just gonna get some new battery that is abit stronger.....

Type R Positive
04-11-2010, 02:30 PM
yep....1 week exactly with out starting and my batteries are empty. at first i just thought it was my bad luck but its happened a few times now and its currently dead atm in the garage coz my mum been overseas and i been driving her subby =.=" went out to start her up the other night to keep her alive but she was gone b4 i could mak it LOL

think im just gonna get some new battery that is abit stronger.....Completely flattening a battery will kill it in no time at all. I am guessing the battery has never been changed in your car, and sounds like it is truely stuffed.

biee2
04-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Completely flattening a battery will kill it in no time at all. I am guessing the battery has never been changed in your car, and sounds like it is truely stuffed.

yeah my batteries have never been charged b4 since i bought my car brand new bak in 2006. this is the stock original honda battery which was considered quite weak in the first place and its held out for about 4 years so guess i cant complain to much, time to check other threads to see what battery i should replace it with hehe

Type R Positive
05-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Those supercharge gold seem the go from reports, but I have no experience with them.

felixd
05-11-2010, 10:25 PM
sell ur car and buy it again

Type R Positive
07-11-2010, 08:11 AM
sell ur car and buy it again
Um...... random?

tron07
08-11-2010, 08:48 AM
yeah my batteries have never been charged b4 since i bought my car brand new bak in 2006. this is the stock original honda battery which was considered quite weak in the first place and its held out for about 4 years so guess i cant complain to much, time to check other threads to see what battery i should replace it with hehe

Time to change your battery, its more then 3 years already.... mine is brand new 06 as well, died last xmas after I came back from overseas. I knew it was week already so I unplug it, hopefully it will still give me enough juice when I come back, but it didnt, push start the car, drive around but over the weekend it still died, got it changed and its been happy since that. For the previous years, 06,07,08, I leave it as it is, came back after a month and it just starts up without giving me any problems.

by-life
08-11-2010, 12:08 PM
if it is new car, for 1 month not problem, but to security it, you should disconnect the cable to the battery and put it back when back.

biee2
08-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Time to change your battery, its more then 3 years already.... mine is brand new 06 as well, died last xmas after I came back from overseas. I knew it was week already so I unplug it, hopefully it will still give me enough juice when I come back, but it didnt, push start the car, drive around but over the weekend it still died, got it changed and its been happy since that. For the previous years, 06,07,08, I leave it as it is, came back after a month and it just starts up without giving me any problems.

yeah will be replacing the battery asap when i save up some money. it still runs the car fine, i just have to drive it on a regular basis lik say twice a week. but for peace of mind i will be getting prob supercharge gold battery soon. coz atm i am even scared to listen to music in the car when the engine is off....tried it many times and nothing happened but prevention is better than cure right? =)
i jump started my car and took it out for a drive today, it was so dead that it tool a while before the battery even had enough juice to start her up!!