PDA

View Full Version : WTF !!!! oil change

Civic Type R
11-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Ok this has me rather distressed.
last nite i drained the 'run-in' oil from my car to replace it with some Redline racing oil 10W40.
After i totally had the last drop fall into the bucket i did the usual and topped it back up again with a gallen, 3.785litres of the good stuff. (the oil filter was ok)

we checked the dipstick and it was just about right. then ...

I poured the drained oil back into the emtied gallen container and it only came up half full !! like 2 litres I was like HOLY FARK !!!!

i checked the oil last week and i didnt think it was low and im not dripping any oil anywhere :( :cool: :confused:

kenshin
11-01-2005, 02:38 PM
hmmm weird to lose almost 2 litres in such a short period without it leaking around the engine...

flipmods
11-01-2005, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Its run in oil. If that much comes out of your next oil change then worry. Most probably run in oil burns more cause it is a thinner oil.

tinkerbell
11-01-2005, 02:54 PM
what flipmods said ;)

Weq
11-01-2005, 06:10 PM
u gotta consider how much oil the engine retains. the camshafts are in a constant oil bath, along with the entire engine still being covered in the oil, albiet small amounts along with oil still in the pan which doesnt drain. anyhoo, it all adds up.

Civic Type R
11-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Yes we did take that into consideration but that doesnt answer how 2l came out and 3.8l went in.

Weq
11-01-2005, 06:32 PM
just ask mrjdm, some oil usage is to be exacpted from a high-comp honda... lol :)

toE
11-01-2005, 06:44 PM
*moved*

m2h
12-01-2005, 05:02 AM
So... what if it is not the run in oil? what to worry?

Surrufus
12-01-2005, 08:27 AM
what if your having bigger problems like burning oil? or would u know that

Civic Type R
12-01-2005, 02:12 PM
i may be burning oil .. ?
but i will give this new redline oil a month and see how it goes.
I checked the block again last night when i jacked it up and still no oil leaks.

damn racing engines :(

SINISTR
12-01-2005, 02:27 PM
10W40 oil is very thin oil, very thin oil!

im 100% sure u burnt the oil while driving.

whatz the oil rating on the new bottle?

Manufacturers recommend the thin stuff, like 10w/40 15w/50 for mainly the new generation engines. Once you get some serious Kms into the engine (especially in your case LOTS of Hard KMS) that oil will just burn like news paper in a fire.

I wouldnt recommend anything Lighter than 15w/50 in your engine.. maybe even 20w/50 which lets the oil stay a bit at the top of the engine, over the cams and everything. 10w oil just drains right through back to the sump, and when u start the engine you wear it out with No oil up there (new engines allow for that).

Hope this helps!

Civic Type R
12-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Mikey, i am using the recommended oil as stated by Redline :)

SINISTR
12-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Mikey, i am using the recommended oil as stated by Redline :)

YES - ok... however engine wear and tear does make oil burn quicker. So if you have lots of Kms on the engine, its recommended to use thicker oil, than the one in the book Adam. Ask any mechanic and they will tell you exactly that.

All im saying is that the 'run in' oil you have used is very THIN, maybe too thin for your engine wear, and the 'recommended' thickness of the oil will actually allow the engine to burn it.

Eg: I bought my car with 106000kms on the clock, 100000 isn't alot - however I speculate that whoever had the car before me may have slightly overheated the car on one occasion. What that caused is a slight burn of the valve seals in my Cyl head. When I used the 'recommended' oil I was going through a litre of oil every 2 or so weeks. I swapped to a thicker oil and the consumption was far less, now i'm running Magnatech and it doesn't use any oil between changes.

Man - its your CAR, and YOUR engine. you can use WHATEVER you please, im just giving you some friendly advice given the PROBLEM you are experiencing... You don't need to educate me what the recommended oil is. Maybe REDLINE makes oil that is slightly thicker, and maybe thats what would be recommended for you 'particular' engine condition... ever think about that?

You have a problem, you asked why it happened - im advising you - from experience.

You will do what you see fit... no skin off my back...

euGeR
12-01-2005, 10:08 PM
If you're burning that much oil, it would sound like something is not sealed properly and oil's getting into the chamber.

Have you had any machining done? or a modified headgasket?

SINISTR
13-01-2005, 12:53 AM
If you're burning that much oil, it would sound like something is not sealed properly and oil's getting into the chamber.

Have you had any machining done? or a modified headgasket?

dude... hes car is an 'ol race engine. Everything is modified in that thing, and im more than 90% sure that hes oil rings are GONE GONE GONE! compressions there, but lettin the oil go through the oil rings!
the thinner the oil u give it, the more u will burn... its as simple as that and there is NO other explanation if there aint no leaks anywhere... oils going straight into the combustion chambers.

Adam - your engine has had its NUTs raced off before you aquired the engine, did u even give it a recon like rings, bearings? You dropped it right in didn't u?

Id use thicker oil but thats just me... :)

hope you solve the problem dude!

Mike

Civic Type R
13-01-2005, 11:38 AM
The engine has had a complete rebuild 3000km ago. All seals etc were replaced.
Maybe the mechanic only put in 2.5l of oil - but i doubt it.

Also Mike, dont read too much into what others feed you with misaligned opinions. The previous story written of its history was totally untrue and that was verified with the purchaser and engine rebuilder before me. Yes it has a racing history but as i said, it was rebuit to new and fully blueprinted etc for outright performance. I dont think old worn out gaskets or seals would be used for a rebuild - when budgets are no object :)

SINISTR
13-01-2005, 12:13 PM
but after the rebuild 3000kms what did the engine do? was it in a street car or back in a race car, then removed... and you bought it?

"dont read too much into what others feed you with misaligned opinions" - are these opinions about the engine or about the oil?

I never said the engine was rebuilt with old gaskets and seals. Im saying that the history of the engine, probably warrants the fact there is a problem with oil rings... or as you stated it could have only had 2.5L in it in the first place... but you say you've checked the level and it was fine... which brings us back to square one - where did the oil go... i say oil rings...

tinkerbell
13-01-2005, 12:17 PM
moral of story - wait until next oil change,

if it is eating oil still, try a heavyier oil,

if it is still eating oil with heavy stuff,

you got some questioning to do to the rebuilder...

BTW - was there any oil in the PCV canister?

Civic Type R
13-01-2005, 12:30 PM
moral of story - wait until next oil change,
:thumbsup:
and thats what i said last week :)

I'll keep you posted.

SINISTR
13-01-2005, 12:37 PM
sounds good! :)

i seriously Hope there no problem there and you just were running Low on oil in the first place - otherwise it will hit your pocket pretty hard!

Limbo
13-01-2005, 07:36 PM
newly rebuilt engines don't just eat oil. The amount that your loosing you would see black smoke come out everytime your floored it. I'm sure you didn't floor it cos you were using running in oil????

Could be a bit of everything. Keep us informed though on the next change...