PDA

View Full Version : Cost of replacing gearbox seals

twelve
31-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Hi all,

There is an oil leak in the gearbox of the ep3r that I am picking up on wednesday.

Can anyone tell me roughly how much this would cost to fix. The owner has had the issue for a while and he has just topped the oil up periodically, but id prefer to just have it fixed for good.

Im a bit concerned as it will involve the removal of the gearbox, which will no doubt be labour intensive and therefore expensive!

Any guidance with this would be good.

Cheers,

grifty
31-10-2010, 07:58 PM
where abouts is the leak?

bennjamin
31-10-2010, 08:01 PM
IF it is leaking from a driveshaft seal it's a matter of removing the driveshaft , popping seal and installing new one then top up fluid to correct amount. Also the drain bolt may have a deformed or cracked washer an fluid
Is leaking from there. Drain fluid and replace washer and replace fluid
There shouldn't be fluid leaking from any other place on the gearbox

twelve
03-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info guys, i dont know where the leak is, the previous owner just told me there was one. It's going into the mechanic for a major service, so ill get him to have a look for it as well.

munkaii
06-11-2010, 10:28 PM
What about rear main seals ben? The part itself is very cheap. <$100 I'm sure. Not sure how much it is for K-series. Labour is intensive. DIY boys can probably do it for $200 or so? Yes whole gearbox will need to come out for it.

bennjamin
08-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Rear main seal is one seal , located behind the flywheel. $50 part - should always replace it when you replace your clutch and or flywheel

But in this instance , it is relevant IF it's engine oil( black in colour)
it's gearbox oil ( likely brown or gold in colour) the it's gearbox related

Still , op - check driveshaft seals then look at dropping the box