PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2009 - Polish & Detailing

euro2009
01-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi,

I am from Sydney area and if anyone knows or can recommend a good reliable Polish/detailing place I can have it done. Just want to have it polish once over and start maintaining it. I mainly want to have the outside nicely done and polished!

Thanks in advance!

schonda
01-11-2010, 05:10 PM
how much are you willing to spend?

I am guessing your car is completely new?

More expensive option is a Meguiars type detailer centre up in baulkhim hills http://sydneycarwash.com.au/full-service-list.html I paid $250 for a full detail on the 08 civic i had cause it had coffee stains and was never washed for 30k's but in your case i would prob spend $99 on an Ultimate Wax n Polish 2.0 which includes clay treatment....

If you are looking at GOOD value and a great quality clean i recommend this place at auburn megamall car park for $55 you get hand polish and waxed and all interior cleaned n smelling nice (im not sure what chemicals he uses but the car looks danm good after it just look at my pics. Although i only do the $38 wax n wash at auburn mega mall cause polish should only be done every 6 months as i think it's a bit abbrasive that remove any imperfections in the paint. For your first time it's fine to do a polish then protect with wax.

In summary:
Baulkhim Hills Mequires: $99 Wash n wax 2.0 (interior and exterior) - the reason i like them although more expensive is i know which chemicals they use - Meguiars.
Auburn Mega Mall "Unique Car Wash": $38 deluxe wash n wax (interior and exterior) or $55 for the deluxe + hand polish. (I don't know which chemicals but the final product is very good, they put in a lot of effort unlike most of the detailing places).
http://www.auburnhomemegamall.com.au/default.asp?PageID=4

Most places do interior + exterior, no harm in doing the interior as well as it protects the vinyl.

HunterZero
01-11-2010, 05:27 PM
I hear Dr Detail is very good. He comes recommended by Damian at Final Inspection in Melb (who is probably the best detailer in the country). Mobile guy, he comes to you.

Cost of the detail depends on the amount of correction that needs to be done to your paintwork.

http://www.drdetail.com.au/

Another place is Prestige Auto Salon in Rydalmere, they do a lot of new car details for Trivett, and details for show cars.

- HZ

euro2009
01-11-2010, 05:52 PM
$99 seems ok for me.

Well my car still looks great - Euro 2009 (1 year old ) but have this swirl on the paint which does bother me a little bit - I guess I did not use the proper towel when I first washed it. I now use Meguiars products and swear by it.

The only concern I have is the abrasive to the paint. What do you think ?

BTW, is this the one you are referring to ? http://www.sydneycarwash.com.au/detailing.html

schonda
01-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Your car is 1 year old, how long since you washed it last or used polish? Polish for the first time will be no problem, in fact, i think it will remove the swirls. The clay process as well aids in removing swirls and especially for removing paint contamination.

Don't do the $99 one or any clay an polish treatment monthly or it will remove the cear coat over time. Once a year is fine though. Once you waxed the car lets say monthly or qtrly whateva your maintenance plan is the clay and polish treatment will strip off the wax build up so it's relatively safe.

As I said for the first time it'll be good to give the car a clay treatment + polish to remove contaminents (possibly swirls, as the detailers about this to be sure), it's a relatively new car id give the $99 one a go (especially if you haven't given it a good detail in a long time). As for maintaining it the $38 wash n wax is fine - wax is not abbrasive it's meant to coat the paint leaving it with a shine, not strip it. The baulkhmim hills centre will just recommend a a deluxe or prestige wash after to maintain it which once a member is only $36...

Meguiars aren't the best of the best but they are non-abbrasive so its a plus. Yes the link you provided is correct.

albii
01-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Please enlighten me as to how a clay bar removes swirls...i'm interested in this one.

euro2009
01-11-2010, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=schonda;2885252]Your car is 1 year old, how long since you washed it last or used polish? Polish for the first time will be no problem, in fact, i think it will remove the swirls. The clay process as well aids in removing swirls and especially for removing paint contamination.

Don't do the $99 one or any clay an polish treatment monthly or it will remove the cear coat over time. Once a year is fine though. Once you waxed the car lets say monthly or qtrly whateva your maintenance plan is the clay and polish treatment will strip off the wax build up so it's relatively safe.

Great thanks for the info - I will need to find time to book for one then. Thanks once again!

schonda
01-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Please enlighten me as to how a clay bar removes swirls...i'm interested in this one.

I said i think it will remove it. And my thinking is wrong, so I stand corrected. It only removes surface contaminants up to the clear coat. Anyway a clear coat is good as a pre-polishing step. 6 month to 1 year intervals. Clay less abbrassive so opinions may differ.

Why don't you just correct me instead of ask rhetorical and sarcastic type questions?

Type R Positive
01-11-2010, 09:25 PM
The only concern I have is the abrasive to the paint. What do you think ?
Clear coat is actually pretty thick, and compounding (harshest polishing) only removes a few micron. More than enough for a full professional 2 - 3 stage detail every year for the rest of it's life.......

here is a pretty good read, It beats me trying to explain it.
http://1800detail.com/category109_1.htm

Type R Positive
01-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Anyway a clear coat is good as a pre-polishing step. 6 month to 1 year intervals. Clay less abbrassive so opinions may differ.

Why don't you just correct me instead of ask rhetorical and sarcastic type questions?
What is a clear coat? (LOL!)
I think you better stop now.......

schonda
01-11-2010, 10:23 PM
What is a clear coat? (LOL!)
I think you better stop now.......

hahahahhaha

I always get in trouble for not reading before posting.

I meant to say clay treatment is a good pre-polishing step.....errrrrr

HunterZero
02-11-2010, 09:46 AM
I meant to say clay treatment is a good pre-polishing step.....errrrrr

Clay before polish for two reasons - Clay cleans bonded crud off the paint in prep for polish, but clay can also cause minor scratches that you wil then need to remove with the polish. You only need to use clay if the paint feels gritty to touch after washing as a preparation step to polishing, I would definitely not use clay all the time. You can also get paint cleaner products which are gentler than a clay bar.

Get the car professionally detailed, eg Dr Detail. The detailer will clean and polish, and can apply a sealant for you.

Then THROW AWAY your sponges and crappy chamois and buy yourself a microfibre wash kit (wash mitt, drying towels and polishing/finishing cloths) a good car soap (don't use dish soap, it's too harsh), and a quick detail spray. Use 2 buckets for washing, one for rinse, one for soap. Rinse the mitt after it comes off the car before putting it back in the soap. Then dry the car off using the quick detailer spray. That should be mild enough on the paint to minimise damage from washing. If you want to add a bit of shine depth/gloss but the paint isn't scratched/swirled, don't use a polish, get a nice paste wax like P21S or Pinnacle Signature.

Polishes can be difficult to use properly, and Honda paint is especially soft/sticky and tricky to polish well. Using the wrong polish or using polish incorrectly can cause more harm than good, you may end up with a car covered in swirls.

- HZ

tony1234
02-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I hear Dr Detail is very good. He comes recommended by Damian at Final Inspection in Melb (who is probably the best detailer in the country). Mobile guy, he comes to you.

Cost of the detail depends on the amount of correction that needs to be done to your paintwork.

http://www.drdetail.com.au/

Another place is Prestige Auto Salon in Rydalmere, they do a lot of new car details for Trivett, and details for show cars.

- HZ

+1 for DR Detail.Nice guy does good work too.DaveXR8 a member here also does good work.did my black Euro approx.1 year ago.Still looks good.

euro2009
02-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Polish & Detailing

So I am more interested getting rid of the swirls on the paint, in summary what would be best?

1. Can I do it my self? if so How is best done?
2. What service is best for the job ( Getting rid of the swirls ) ?

Thanks.

HunterZero
03-11-2010, 12:53 PM
So I am more interested getting rid of the swirls on the paint, in summary what would be best?

You can, but it will take a long, long time to do by hand. It's best to do it by machine.

You can do it yourself by machine, the pads and polishes are available. But these tools are expensive, and it takes practice to do it right, ie not leaving buffer trails and holograms while removing the minimum amount of clear coat film build. If you stuff up you can damage the paint, eg burn through an edge. A pro detailer will have a paint depth checker, so he can tell how much paint there is left before polishing. He'll also mask off areas that you don't want polished, eg plastics.

You need what's called a paint correction. This is best done by machine, by an experienced detailer. Give Mark (Dr Detail) a call, he will tell you exactly what you need.

- HZ

schonda
03-11-2010, 01:56 PM
I dont have a car wash bay at my block of apartments, nor do i have water or electricity near my parked space, can i still use dr detail? He soiunds good might give it a try.

euro2009
03-11-2010, 02:02 PM
You can, but it will take a long, long time to do by hand. It's best to do it by machine.

You can do it yourself by machine, the pads and polishes are available. But these tools are expensive, and it takes practice to do it right, ie not leaving buffer trails and holograms while removing the minimum amount of clear coat film build. If you stuff up you can damage the paint, eg burn through an edge. A pro detailer will have a paint depth checker, so he can tell how much paint there is left before polishing. He'll also mask off areas that you don't want polished, eg plastics.

You need what's called a paint correction. This is best done by machine, by an experienced detailer. Give Mark (Dr Detail) a call, he will tell you exactly what you need.

- HZ

Thanks HunterZero, I will give him a call soon.

Thanks to everyone for sharing the info.

schonda
03-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Sorry to side track the thread, but while we are on the issue of cleaning. I often get my car wash n waxed and after this i put rainx on the window, along with rainx additive quater of the bottle in the windshield reserviour, mixed with other windshield wiper solution.

Anyway I bought these after market wiper blades from supercheap auto, the best i could find. Cost me $70. They did a great job till one day there was heavy rain and it started skipping badly. Everytime i use the rainx out of the reserviour to squirt onto the window the skipping stops for 3 wipes then starts again. So i chucked them away and got triton wipers, this time for free from mechanic, and they are better but they make a smudge noise that makes me shake really high pitched.

I was wondering is it the rainx repellants causing this, or incorrect wiper blades? What wiper blades should i get and what size?

schonda
03-11-2010, 05:29 PM
"Rain-X is not a lubricant, but forms into a thin film layer with holes in it like swiss cheese... this acts like sand paper on your wipers"

I don't believe everything I read, but ever since i put on rain x, i have had to replace two sets of wipers.

First set of wipers were expensive ($70) frameless or "beamless" wipers that worked for like a month.

Second set of wipers are cheapo trico ones and they screech.

I will have to take the rainx off my windscreen somehow and finish it off my water reserviour before i buy a new set of PIAA Forza Hybrid Silicone Wiper Blade 26" and 16" - expensive but very sleek and suits the euro - similar to the current civic's wipers where you don't see any mechanical parts of the blade, all covered.

Anyone else experienced the same issue? Also is there a way to remove this rainx? there's always a white film of it after i use my wipers.

tony1234
03-11-2010, 05:29 PM

Thanks.

As Hunter said call Mark.Leave it to the pros.You need stage 1,2 or 3 paint correction depending on how bad your paint is.1 being the first.

tony1234
03-11-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't believe everything I read, but ever since i put on rain x, i have had to replace two sets of wipers.

First set of wipers were expensive ($70) frameless or "beamless" wipers that worked for like a month.

I will have to take the rainx off my windscreen somehow and finish it off my water reserviour before i buy a new set of PIAA Forza Hybrid Silicone Wiper Blade 26" and 16".

Anyone else experienced the same issue?

Get some glass polish.Autoglym do one.

aaronng
03-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Sorry to side track the thread, but while we are on the issue of cleaning. I often get my car wash n waxed and after this i put rainx on the window, along with rainx additive quater of the bottle in the windshield reserviour, mixed with other windshield wiper solution.

Anyway I bought these after market wiper blades from supercheap auto, the best i could find. Cost me $70. They did a great job till one day there was heavy rain and it started skipping badly. Everytime i use the rainx out of the reserviour to squirt onto the window the skipping stops for 3 wipes then starts again. So i chucked them away and got triton wipers, this time for free from mechanic, and they are better but they make a smudge noise that makes me shake really high pitched.

I was wondering is it the rainx repellants causing this, or incorrect wiper blades? What wiper blades should i get and what size?

It's caused by the RainX that you apply on the windscreen. The skipping goes away after a few days of regular wiper usage with the windscreen spray Hope you didn't throw out those $70 wipers. LOL

aaronng
03-11-2010, 05:33 PM

I will have to take the rainx off my windscreen somehow and finish it off my water reserviour before i buy a new set of PIAA Forza Hybrid Silicone Wiper Blade 26" and 16".

Anyone else experienced the same issue?
If you use a silicone-type wiper, then you don't need RainX on the windscreen because the silicone leaves behind a water repelling layer.

schonda
03-11-2010, 06:08 PM
It's caused by the RainX that you apply on the windscreen. The skipping goes away after a few days of regular wiper usage with the windscreen spray Hope you didn't throw out those $70 wipers. LOL

Yeah i did chuck them in the bin at my mechanics, and he goes to me 'are you sure? I think you better keep them' omggggg...hahaha

Yeah ill buy the PIAA blah blah silicone wipers mentioned above (they come with an first off application of some water repellant stuff that supposed to last if its like rainx i wont buy the wipers), i just need to remove the rainx out of my reserviour ill spray it all out soon and use armonia or windex to remove the rain x off my front windscreen and donate the rainx to someone. Disapointed though.

I have been using rainx reserviour additive along with the rainx spray on the front windscreen and back, my back windscreen always smudges even after getting it detailed a million times over, i dont like the rainx stuff it seems to dry out the rubber and it has a white film that glares the screen and it seems to clog my reserviour squirting triggers whateva you call them. Also i felt sick one day on the highway constantly watching the raindrops move up off my windscreen, it's cool for a little while buy try 2 hours of it and you get sick.

Experience is a costly thing.

schonda
03-11-2010, 06:34 PM
The skipping goes away after a few days of regular wiper usage with the windscreen spray

By the way Aaronng, do you mean that i should continue applying rainx?