PDA

View Full Version : spring rates

RPMTOY
02-11-2010, 11:54 PM
hey all just wondering what spring rates people are running in there track cars

i have an ek civic hatch currently with front 9kg and rear 5kg, my car is more for track then street and am looking for something much heavier. I have been told to run like f12 r10 but have seen some coilovers like spoon that come with f18 r16, also seen up to 22kg up front on some setups in japan. Not too sure what to go for, any opinions would be great.

thanks

MRK20CRX
03-11-2010, 10:04 AM
I run daily driven 20 front/18 rear springs on crux shocks, handles like an animal, still bearable for daily driving. Only because the shocks were made for the springs. What kind of shocks do you have? If you have 9/5 and go for something heavier without re valving the shock to match heavier spring rates, your ride will be bouncy, rather than planted to the ground

chargeR
03-11-2010, 11:27 AM
If you have a little money to spare and you want to narrow it down a bit, then just experiment to see what is best. Get a good shock that is easily revalved locally or has sufficient range of adjustment such that it won't be out of it's comfort zone over a spring range of ±4kg/mm. Then start at the 12/10 you suggest and then go higher or lower depending on which is faster. I would definitely advise stiffer rates than your current 9/5 if you are going to be using sticky tyres, but if you are sticking with normal street tyres then those rates might be reasonable. How much track experience do you have? I don't mean to cause offence but there is every chance that there are other much more significant factors which will affect your speed and enjoyment on track, driver skill and experience being one of them.

I run 14/28 on my DC5 which is roughly equivalent to maybe 18/16 or 18/18 on an EK. Works nicely on a sticky tyre like my Hoosier R6s but is perhaps too stiff for my Dunlop Z1 SS street tyres.

RPMTOY
03-11-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm currently using cusco 2 zero, im leading towards dms 50mm as they can rebuilt locally. The set im looking at already has swift 15kg front and 9kg rear, not sure if ineed to get new springs or not. I just changed to toyo r888 semis, but find them too soft and therefore i might go back to bridgestone re55s. In terms of track experience i probably been to about 5 track days.