PDA

View Full Version : not comfortable at all

Bobcool
04-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Used to own falcon and commodore, recently changed to 06 Honda Euro auto luxury, I have to say that Euro is not as comfortable as the Australian made big family car, actually, much worse...
I feel the suspension is too hard.
Additionally, I found that the auto trans jump from gear 2 to gear 3, then gear 3 to gear2 quite frequently sometimes, just want to know whether it is normal, I am a noob:D

iLlusion10
04-11-2010, 11:58 PM
the accord euro is meant to have slightly stiffer suspension than the standard accord. The idea is that the accord euro is slightly more nimble/better handling than the standard accord..but the trade off is comfortability.

You'll find that it handles much better than a falcon/commdore (compared to let's say a VY commodore - from experience), not sure about the new ones though.

My auto tranny doesn't jump too often, except for on hills, maybe you should get the transmission oil flushed out.

jdm_b16a
05-11-2010, 05:54 AM
We own an 06 Accord Euro Luxury and you are right - the suspension is very "tight", which we like. The car handles nicely, and combined with the Stability feature and Traction Control, it can be a pleasure to drive 'quickly'. It's not so much that it is uncomfortable, but more that the car is giving you feedback from the road (which is what you want).

Peter

nvmee
05-11-2010, 07:30 AM
the euro is damn loud to other variants in the same catergory such as tha aurion, so much for a luxury huh?

david_todd85
05-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Used to own falcon and commodore, recently changed to 06 Honda Euro auto luxury, I have to say that Euro is not as comfortable as the Australian made big family car, actually, much worse...
Additionally, I found that the auto trans jump from gear 2 to gear 3, then gear 3 to gear2 quite frequently sometimes, just want to know whether it is normal, I am a noob:D

Ive come from a Hilux, compared to that the Euro is a Merc! without being a boat..... ( I have the same model as you)

david_todd85
05-11-2010, 08:07 AM
the euro is damn loud to other variants in the same catergory such as tha aurion, so much for a luxury huh?

DYNAMAT the S#*T out of it!

EuroZed
05-11-2010, 10:23 AM
DYNAMAT the S#*T out of it!

not sure what you comparing to?
the honda accord euro (hence the euro in the name) competes with the europeans too
it out handles the camry and aurions and in my opinion gives that compromise of handling and comfort amazingly well.
coming from a Golf and Bmw 320i (current shape) this is not only so quiet its also so comfortable yet handles where required.
compared to the bmw it felt slightly floaty initially.
i think u need to get into a european car first then come to this...
european car's suspension thumped on some rough road where as on the euro what i find amazing is u just feel it and in some case it just absorbs it so well u dont even feel it....falcadores have to be most unrefined cars, extermely soft suspension and no quality that can last a couple of years with out breaking apart inside....dont know how u can compare it to this
size is different, engine is smaller etc

schonda
05-11-2010, 10:34 AM
I must agree the euro has its moments esp. on parra road very hard thumps and im driving the euro standard so that has medium low profile tires (compared to a commodore).

I might get some new shocks such as bristein and that should smooth out the ride compared to the probably over run stock shocks (ive done 110k's).

I think smaller wheel base also adds to the 'stiffness'. Yeah fore sure if im taking the queen of england out for a ride i don't think she could drink a cup of tea in an euro haha...

Anyone know how much new shocks will cost from blistein?

HunterZero
05-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Yeah the Euro is a bit jiggly on rougher roads due to firmer suspension and the lower profile 17" wheels. But on good roads and motorways, it's very smooth and reasonably quiet. Handles very well, but you pay the price with a firmer ride. Think of it a bit like a 4-door Integra.

By comparison, trying to drive a Falcodore fast is like trying to run with Wellington boots on...

Tyres make a difference. The OEM 17" Bridgestone RE040 tires are renowned for being noisy and a bit harsh.

The standard Accord is a much softer ride.

- HZ

rojak1
05-11-2010, 12:22 PM
normal accord is definately on the soft side, but i prefer my ex-euro ride better.

if it's not because of the baby seat and shorter real passenger space and 96ron, i will go for euro again no doubt.

natnat
05-11-2010, 12:36 PM
it's a bit funny some people (and even car journalists) comment about the Euro harsh ride (and including other cars equipped with sports suspension and low profile tyres too!!).

why not look it this way:

want a soft ride, go for 55+ profile tyres (the standard CL9 comes with 205/55R16), run on 32psi; and avoid <50 profile tyres. simple as that :)

also avoid tyres with stiff wall (2 layers or more) too. RE040 has 2 layers of ply or something, hence harsher ride; and the thread is meant of performance hence a bit noisy. Conti Sports Contact 2 only has 1 wall layer.

and if you want quiet ride, go for Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (but beware the wall is quite thick too!)

Bobcool
05-11-2010, 03:34 PM
thanks for reply guys, how about the trans issue?

aaronng
05-11-2010, 04:52 PM

The Toyota that is in the same category as the Accord Euro is the Camry, not the Aurion. The Thai Accord is the one that is in the same category as the Aurion.

schonda
05-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Try getting your transmission flushed at a mechanic with Honda trans fluid that should smooth the gears over time. You can visit honda dealer or F&E Autoworks to get a reflush or some ppl go to Hanny's Perfromance. Personally i go to F&E cause it's competitively priced and the mechanics bro has an accord euro so knows what his doing.

So what tires are there for a smooth quiet ride?

Front Tires: Turanza ER300 205/55R16 91V
Rear Tires: Dunlop Direzza DZ101 205/50R15 85V

Does this create a problem with ride balance, steering or ride quality? They all have around 1-1.5mm thread left.

schonda
05-11-2010, 05:05 PM
The Toyota that is in the same category as the Accord Euro is the Camry, not the Aurion. The Thai Accord is the one that is in the same category as the Aurion.

Suprisingly The Aurion shares the same cabin dimensions as the Camry, just the aurion looks bigger. In terms of engine size obviously aurion is v6 compared to 4 cyl camry.

npcan2
05-11-2010, 05:15 PM
What is wrong with the world?!?! The stock euro suspension is at best too soft! I felt it was never stable, and the body roll was unbearable!
If you want a softer ride, go buy a cloud.

schonda
05-11-2010, 05:59 PM
What is wrong with the world?!?! The stock euro suspension is at best too soft! I felt it was never stable, and the body roll was unbearable!

Everyone has different taste and preferences obviously.

But the euro suspension is actually stiffer than a lot of cars out there, plus the shorter wheel base (compared to commodores) aids this stiffness. Even try driving a civic vti-L and it will roll around corners yet still bumpy on roads. Euro is stiffer around a corner yet less bumpy than civic so it is more sophisticated in that respect.

But if your taking lets say more mature people or ladies trying to apply make up euro on a road that has bumps will not give the best support haha it doesn't absorb the bumps it goes CLUNK etc which is not the best impression for what is supposed to be a mid luxury vehicle.

Think about it from other perspectives, personally if i was just me im happy with it but when taking people out who are little more mature it gives a good impression but not the best.

I think AMG mercedes combines sports with smooth ride the E series AMG, but hey thats gonna cost heaps.

Hopefully blistein will do the same job. You are right that other larger cars are like boats though, but they absorb bumps better too.

natnat
05-11-2010, 06:09 PM

or replace the seats with custom made pieces of latex or viscous elastic mattress? :p
or run 28psi using 205/55R16 tyres? :)

or replace the front seat with a Natuzzi recliner??!

bramtram
11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I just got myself a brand spanking new Accord Euro (base model, not Lux) and I do find it significantly firmer ride, than my 2004 Nissan Maxima. I'm also wondering if you change the stock shocks what will it do to the warranty.

natnat
11-11-2010, 03:50 PM
I just got myself a brand spanking new Accord Euro (base model, not Lux) and I do find it significantly firmer ride, than my 2004 Nissan Maxima. I'm also wondering if you change the stock shocks what will it do to the warranty.

things you need to consider:
1. do you like decent cornering ability?
2. do you hate body roll?

HunterZero
11-11-2010, 04:47 PM

CU2 Standard is supposed to be a sharper drive than the Lux. The CU2 lux has softer suspension rates apparently, but does have 18" wheels instead of 17".

- HZ

praja6
11-11-2010, 08:12 PM
CU2 Standard is supposed to be a sharper drive than the Lux. The CU2 lux has softer suspension rates apparently, but does have 18" wheels instead of 17".

- HZ

I didn't know that. i thought both Base and lux using same suspension....

tony1234
12-11-2010, 08:50 AM
I didn't know that. i thought both Base and lux using same suspension....

HunterZero is right.

Type R Positive
12-11-2010, 10:22 AM
LOL! Why buy the 'sport' model when you should have brought the 'soft' one?
You should have brought the normal Accord.......

Same thing happened with old peolpe. Brought the Euro and complained that the suspension was too firm. ROFL!
Like buying a mini and complaining that there's no room..........

bramtram
12-11-2010, 10:44 AM

- HZ

I test drove both LUX and Standard and actually think LUX is a firmer ride than base model because of the 18" wheels, but according to my research they have identical suspension.
The reason I didnt go for the Thai-made accord, is:
1. It's bigger
2. It's uglier
3. It's not made in Japan :):):)
4. It's more expensive