PDA

View Full Version : S2000 Resale Value DROPING

Age_S2000
06-11-2010, 04:45 PM
WTF is going on out there :( S2000s are now going for less then $20,000.... why why why????

There supposed to be the flagship of the Honda range other than the NSX so why r they droping and according to an article i pulled out of the hearald sun news paper 6/2/09 "They're looking like collector's item's now".
a very cheap collectors item which seems to be going downwards in value....

will they go up invalue who knows? a mate of a mate of mine has 5 of them and offered me $25,000 for mine but why???

any one care to share there thorts on this one....

JamieP
06-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Ive been noticing this as well. I try not to look at them on carsales.com because it just makes me sad seeig how their fast becomming a cheap p plater car

Nismo3oi
06-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Too many P Platers getting them and ****ing them up and selling them cheap. The ones that are less than $20,000 are pretty crap, anyone who wants a good one will spend the extra money for the newer models. Too many 99-01 models around.

blackouT
06-11-2010, 06:08 PM
it all depends on km's and colour too! ive been offered about 7 times for my gpw for more then i bought it cause of how rare it is in perth. I hardly see any s2k's around! but yeah the prices are dropping a bit. I used to owned an s15 and they have dropped so much as well!

EvolElmo
06-11-2010, 06:18 PM
2nd hand car market is slow as **** at the moment across the board. Cheap cars can't drop any lower, but everything else is. Especially nice cars. It's a shame, but meh.

The S2000's being flooded by P platers are probably them buying them on finance, not being able to repay then trying to offload it asap so they can pay the bank. Great for buyers.

ludecrs
06-11-2010, 06:39 PM
How do you think us older members feel..... LOL.

Or people like Aus, who bought them new..

euromandeluxe
06-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I get what you guys are saying, but ultimately we're talking about a car. It's a depreciating asset, sad to say but the S2000 is not rare or sought after enough to increase in value. It may be one of the flagship models of the Honda range, but again that isn't saying all too much. There isn't enough collection demand for it. Hell, today I saw an NSX covered in dust with a badly rusted roof and a damaged rear spoiler held on with duct tape and a garbage bag.

The only time I see this car going up in value is when every single one is out of commission and the only ones out there are the ones in preservation with collectors.

My 2c

brendan1990
06-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Too many P Platers getting them and ****ing them up and selling them cheap. The ones that are less than $20,000 are pretty crap, anyone who wants a good one will spend the extra money for the newer models. Too many 99-01 models around.

here we go again.

please recognize not all p platers buy them and **** them up, some of us worked hard to get them and look after them, i bought mine with hail damage (only reason i could really afford one) and have fixed half of it already, imo im restoring the car, and for any future buyers they wont have to go through the same stress. i change my oil every 5000 km's, diff, trans, and brake fluid every 10,000. when i bought the car it had no space saver, and a cracked tail light on the boot, so far i have bought the space saver, replaced the light, and have plenty more work to do. i switched my interior with euromandeluxe at the start of this year who is also a p plater (or was at the time) and i can vouch that he is also someone who respects and cares for his s.

anyway, just have to say also that yeah people will pay more for a better condition version, i saw on caresales a while ago a dc5r with like 70,000km's on the clock selling for 35k, but my god it was worth it, the car was imaculate better than brand new, and i would consider paying that much if i had the money.

STAiN MASTER
06-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Think about it from a buyers perspective, would you pay more for a better one? ofcourse you would. This gives the seller more power so I say its to our advantage.

Engin09
07-11-2010, 12:45 AM
ive seen most of the ones below 25K, and they are all fcked lol. wouldn't bother.. i payed abit extra and im a P plater (greens), not on finance and i keep it in the best condition i possibly could, i wont sell mine below 26K with the mods i put on it.. (exhaust and coils, 89xxxkm). It all comes down to the buyer. if they want a cheap thrashed car, or if they want the real deal and are willing to keep the car in great condition etc etc... most of the buyers have the money and know what condition they want the car in, so its no biggy when trying to sell. One of the members sold his for 26.5K the other week and he was offered that, not even advertised..

DreadAngel
07-11-2010, 03:55 AM
here we go again.

please recognize not all p platers buy them and **** them up, some of us worked hard to get them and look after them, i bought mine with hail damage (only reason i could really afford one) and have fixed half of it already, imo im restoring the car, and for any future buyers they wont have to go through the same stress. i change my oil every 5000 km's, diff, trans, and brake fluid every 10,000. when i bought the car it had no space saver, and a cracked tail light on the boot, so far i have bought the space saver, replaced the light, and have plenty more work to do. i switched my interior with euromandeluxe at the start of this year who is also a p plater (or was at the time) and i can vouch that he is also someone who respects and cares for his s.

anyway, just have to say also that yeah people will pay more for a better condition version, i saw on caresales a while ago a dc5r with like 70,000km's on the clock selling for 35k, but my god it was worth it, the car was imaculate better than brand new, and i would consider paying that much if i had the money.

Don't take it personally man, generally speaking, P platers of the ignorant masses are careless and have no mechanical sympathy. It's great you are but the vast majority aren't so caring as you.

Personally for me as someone looking for a S2000, it isn't too bad though the colour I want is like everyone else so they're harder to come by for the 'right' price.

Age_S2000
07-11-2010, 06:10 PM
IMO low kms isnt not really a bonus....
for example a 99 - 01 model with 90,000kms or less means it just sits there and collects dust. the fuel goes stale sitting in the garage, engine oils turn to sht because there supposed to be changed every 6months reguardless of kms and the engine is worse off not being used, moisture builds up in the motor and wrecks everything same goes for the g/box n diff.

my own 00 s2k has 127,000kms on it but to me thats good kms - works out to be 12,700kms per year which is still fk all

im also a P plate S2k owner but only becuase i lost my licence so i really shouldnt be lol

Engin09 - AMEN to that i payed 27 for my 00 2 years ago and it was faultless

as a mechanic myself i do my oils every 5000kms, wash it every weekend and detail it once a month :D god they look hot when they shine :D

brendan1990
07-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Don't take it personally man, generally speaking, P platers of the ignorant masses are careless and have no mechanical sympathy. It's great you are but the vast majority aren't so caring as you.

Personally for me as someone looking for a S2000, it isn't too bad though the colour I want is like everyone else so they're harder to come by for the 'right' price.

i wont ;) im guessing you want a white one?

EvolElmo
07-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Further to my earlier point, I think the price is dropping because people are desperate to sell. If the seller isn't in a rush (ie. me selling my S2000 at the moment), then the prices would stay up.

I'm not rushed, and I'm more than happy to keep it in storage. Thats why I don't do the daily PRICE DROPPED!!! post.

BOV
07-11-2010, 11:34 PM
unless you buy something like NSX that can hold the value well, otherwise the value of the car is getting less each year....

i remember looking for a 95 silver NSX 4 years ago for 75K, now they are still sell similar price.

But cheaper s2k means more people can enjoy the VTEC...

tay113
07-11-2010, 11:57 PM
good. the more the price drop ,i will buy another one to average out from the first one and that is provided it has better be good condition.Honestly!Good condition ones are holding to their price where the rest are falling due to desperation and perhaps failing conditions.Guess,end of day on buyers might end up spending more on the cheaper ones when it catches up with repairs.Driving the s2000 is giving me the smiles most time.Best of both world .Top up or top down.

DreadAngel
08-11-2010, 06:40 PM
i wont ;) im guessing you want a white one?

White or Yellow =)

Though I don't mind the Silver so I'm not "too" bad I guess...

I think there was a White S2K for sale 1-2wks ago in Sydney, I think it was a member's old car, disappeared in 3 days LOL =P

brendan1990
08-11-2010, 06:56 PM
fark, i wonder howmuch a white ap2 would be worth....not cheap im guessing, and i recon you could find a good nick silver one for cheap, plenty of silver ones goin round.

Nismo3oi
08-11-2010, 07:24 PM
here we go again.

Well I didn't say "ALL P PLATES", I said too many. I'm a P plater myself and bought my car more than 2 years ago. Theres only a handful of use that don't molest the car.

Kenshin3180
08-11-2010, 09:25 PM
fark, i wonder howmuch a white ap2 would be worth....not cheap im guessing, and i recon you could find a good nick silver one for cheap, plenty of silver ones goin round.

There was a white 2004 one in Melbourne with 18,000km's on the clock for sale about 6 months back... the asking price was 45k. I offered 44k. The guy was ready to take my deposit and than another 2 guys came in and started a bidding war that went to 49k. I contacted the guy who bought the car and offered just over 50k but he wouldn't sell. I also saw a white 2005 model, in mint condition with 60,000km's on the clock and the guy struggled to get the asking price of 45k.

I think used cars are way overpriced in Australia. I think that they will continue to drop as there is less demand for them. The s2000 will continue to drop sharply in price. But the odd perfect s2000 will appreciate in value, but it will have to be close to vintage 25yo before it does, as they will be a collectors car.

PeppeX
08-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I am in the market for a S2000. Guess i should wait a few more months. But I am definately willing to pay more for a unmolested one :)

euromandeluxe
08-11-2010, 09:58 PM
I think used cars are way overpriced in Australia.

I think you mean "all cars are way overpriced in Australia".

tay113
08-11-2010, 11:37 PM
I think you mean "all cars are way overpriced in Australia".

Spot on.cars are definitely way over price.Look at car prices in the US?

ludecrs
09-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Buying power and taxes make the difference.

VeYzZii
10-11-2010, 12:34 PM
I was reading somewhere that due to the recession some companys stop production of sport cars.. Due to them being a want rather then a need. The recession is far gone from now, so i dont know if thats still a factor. But when i was buying my s2000 i had a good look at most of them still on the market today. And to be honest, anything under 25 is trash. I know from experience, im not going to say which one on carsales, but there is one that is just horrible, seats ripped, center console sratched, hes touched up his paint with permanent marker all around, hes got an ebay china exhaust, hes headrests where coming of the plastic so he taped them with electrical tape.. Just a complete DUD if you ask me. But its people like those with cars like that, that sell them for less then 25. If your car is well looked after, i am sure there are enthusiasts that can easily tell the difference.

PeppeX
10-11-2010, 10:03 PM
I was reading somewhere that due to the recession some companys stop production of sport cars.. Due to them being a want rather then a need. The recession is far gone from now, so i dont know if thats still a factor. But when i was buying my s2000 i had a good look at most of them still on the market today. And to be honest, anything under 25 is trash. I know from experience, im not going to say which one on carsales, but there is one that is just horrible, seats ripped, center console sratched, hes touched up his paint with permanent marker all around, hes got an ebay china exhaust, hes headrests where coming of the plastic so he taped them with electrical tape.. Just a complete DUD if you ask me. But its people like those with cars like that, that sell them for less then 25. If your car is well looked after, i am sure there are enthusiasts that can easily tell the difference.

What S2000 are you talking about? Never seen it on carsales.

I think it would be good if members who have gone to see a car and its a dud, they should post it on the forums and ask members to stay clear.

JamieP
10-11-2010, 10:28 PM
the problem is that when their is alot of cars for sale at lower prices, people will assume thats what their worth based on averages. I mean if a potential buyer sees 5 cars in QLD at 19,000 and one car that looks to be the same condition in melbourne for 25,0000. He may assume that its going to be in the same condition as the cars in another state without flying up there to test drive them all and will expect to pay the 19,000 price tag over the 25,000 one. So these poor condition cars in actuality bring down the price of the good condition ones as well.

The upside though is cars like the s2000 still depreciate far less than a sedan. What always trips me out though is that the mini cooper is actually the best car in australia for holding its value. I cant quite figure out why? lol

tamay_s2k
10-11-2010, 11:12 PM
here we go again.

well said mate
ive worked hard for my s2k aswell and i brought it last year wen 18 :D
i change my oil every 5,000kms and do my diff and tranny oil every 20,000kms
wash it on weekly bases aswell and always try n keep the car looking smick
i got about 5 mates wif s2kz in my area and the majority of them keep there cars in decent condition. i have also seen many in Melbourne going around and could tell that they have been thrashed..due to that NO OIL rattling sound u get from the motor wen u no it needs sum oil.
the way i see it. keep treating ur cars the best u can and they will sell for top dollar.
let the ****heads thrash, bash and crash there s2kz. i guarantee u they will become rare sooner or later..only a matter of time.
i got a mate with a 06 ap2 which he has had 4 2 months and he batters it...cars on 17xxxkms and now he needs a new clutch. and has gone through 6 PAIRS of rear tires.
id like 2 c how much longer that car will be in 1 piece.
people think that just because there a vtec motor..they can just be thrashed forever and ever with out any maintenance

euromandeluxe
10-11-2010, 11:19 PM
i have also seen many in Melbourne going around and could tell that they have been thrashed..due to that NO OIL rattling sound u get from the motor wen u no it needs sum oil.
the way i see it. keep treating ur cars the best u can and they will sell for top dollar.

good points, but I'm curious to know more about this no-oil rattling sound?
The S is known to have a noisy valvetrain and noisy timing chain tensioner.

tamay_s2k
10-11-2010, 11:33 PM
ok
well usually wen i park my car on a hill or a slope, and my mates do the same in there s2kz
we get this brrrtztztztz
its really weird
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZVrJIkrp-Q&feature=related
my car only makes this noise wen i had low oil
im still a bit confused on wat exactly it is
even though ppl say piston..then valve clearance, the TCT
any advice any1?

euromandeluxe
10-11-2010, 11:40 PM
oh wow, that's really rattly.

timing chain tensioner?

check this thread out:
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=320897

tamay_s2k
11-11-2010, 12:04 AM
yea but the thing is mine does that but not THAT loud and only for like 3 seconds
then its gone.
so i dont no lol
im going 2 get it changed by hodna and get another valve adjustment done mid next month anyway just 2 be save
cars just hit 156,000kms
still running strong though!!!

euromandeluxe
11-11-2010, 12:09 AM
yeah, couldn't hurt.
good luck :D

dinorider
14-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Hell, today I saw an NSX covered in dust with a badly rusted roof and a damaged rear spoiler held on with duct tape and a garbage bag.

The only time I see this car going up in value is when every single one is out of commission and the only ones out there are the ones in preservation with collectors.

My 2c

You must mean this car:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/dinorider02/other%20junk/47721_490449463695_528743695_6872788_2080662_n.jpg
I saw it at Essendon DFO, and nearly cried. Unbelievable. How could an NSX deteriorate to this state?!?!?!

ludecrs
14-11-2010, 06:37 PM
It was recently spotted on s2ki too.

PeppeX
14-11-2010, 06:37 PM
LOL! Wow that guy must be out of this mind. Obviously he doesnt know what he is driving....

euromandeluxe
14-11-2010, 08:02 PM
LOL yep, I posted that one up on S2Ki

here we are:

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/euromandeluxe/nov2010021.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/euromandeluxe/nov2010022.jpg

poor, poor NSX

as i said on S2Ki, at least it's only an auto. :)

on a positive note, at least he's reinforced the garbage bags since i took those pics :thumbsup:

curtis265
14-11-2010, 09:10 PM
That's hurting my eyes.

PeppeX
14-11-2010, 09:13 PM
It could be a good thing for the next buyer. Can get a cheap NSX shell and build it up :). Give him 5k for it.

JamieP
14-11-2010, 09:37 PM
damn, I cant believe that poor nsx has been left like that! When you see a car like that you have to wonder what the story behind it could be though? obveously the owner must have had a decent income and a love for the car when it was originally purchased so you have to wonder what could have happened to put him/her in the position where their beautiful pride and joy could get left like that? Their has to be some kind of story behind it so I'll reserve judgement for now. It is sad to see such a beautiful car looking like that though.

euromandeluxe
14-11-2010, 10:01 PM
perhaps a wife won it from a husband and doesn't know what it's really worth
anyone's guess !

JamieP
14-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Yeh that was one of my guesses. Angry ex wife took the husbands pride and joy that or he lost what was once a good job and this is the last thing he has to remember of the high life? One thing I noticed was it looks like they left their mobile phone sitting in the car? maybe in hopes of attracting thieves to collect the insurance money? since thatd be worth way more than the value of the car in its current state lol

DreadAngel
14-11-2010, 10:45 PM
As a NSX fanatic, I want to kill someone over this...

Such a badly mistreated NSX :(

dinorider
15-11-2010, 10:11 AM
As a NSX fanatic, I want to kill someone over this...

Such a badly mistreated NSX :(

You're not the only one mate.

It does make us all wonder what's the sad story behind that poor NSX. If I had the $$$, I would love to rescue it.

I've also noticed that NSX spare parts of any kind (body panels etc.) are unfriggingbelievably expensive. If you want to own one, I'd say that it's compulsory full comp insurance.

brendan1990
15-11-2010, 04:32 PM
i recon full comp is still necessary for an s2 =D

euromandeluxe
15-11-2010, 05:50 PM
agreed.

tamay_s2k
15-11-2010, 06:41 PM
i feel sorry for some peoples cars
my neighbour once serviced his car and i watched as he poured water into the engine instead of oil.
thank god i had the heart 2 tell him wat he was doing was wrong.

brendan1990
15-11-2010, 07:55 PM
at work we have had cars which have had auto trans oil in the engine, no oil in the engine, oil in the engine but forget to put the oil filter on (car pulls away and leaves a huge mess of a trail, no oil cap on (car comes back with oil ****en everywhere), weve had a customer come back after having destoyed their engine cause they put water in it, and the most funny story goes to the guy that wanted us to use his oil he bought which was in the back seat (we look in the back seat and find vegetable oil)

PeppeX
15-11-2010, 07:58 PM
at work we have had cars which have had auto trans oil in the engine, no oil in the engine, oil in the engine but forget to put the oil filter on (car pulls away and leaves a huge mess of a trail, no oil cap on (car comes back with oil ****en everywhere), weve had a customer come back after having destoyed their engine cause they put water in it, and the most funny story goes to the guy that wanted us to use his oil he bought which was in the back seat (we look in the back seat and find vegetable oil)

How can people think vegetable oil goes in the engine.... I dont understand. If ur unsure u should always ask or read the manual.....

JamieP
15-11-2010, 08:24 PM
rofl@the vegetable oil story. man that had to be a practical joke?!?! nobody could be that dumb could they? lol. that one actually made me laugh out loud. the water one is pretty bad as well. Youd imagine if the guy was that clueless when it came to cars he'd at least have the commen sense to take it to a mechanic for a service

bradb16a
16-11-2010, 11:32 AM
1999 car are old there over 10 years thats why there cheap im after a good one looking at spend ing up to 40 if some have a good one

Age_S2000
17-11-2010, 06:21 PM
bro spend 30k on one n use the extra 10k to do it up it will be much more worth ur while :D

EvolElmo
17-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Buy mine for 30k. Have a hardtop, have one of the best exhaust systems for FI engines, have an AP2 console and AP2 headlights?

:D 10k on go fast bits instead of the above as well as go fast bits :D