PDA

View Full Version : Pro's and con's between cbr250rr and megelli

japa_VTEC
07-11-2010, 12:31 PM
hey guys, i've been looking at getting a bike and I was pretty keen on getting the cbr250rr. however, i came across a Megelli (chinese bike) 250 r or 250 s. both of them are excellent looking bikes sold for really good prices because it's a newish brand. any of you guys know why i should/shouldn't go for the megelli's over the cbr? what are the pro's and con's of each?

i'm on my L's if it matters

cheers

bennjamin
07-11-2010, 02:05 PM
If you want to keep thru just your Ls or p plates....either one should be OK

I personally would chose the cbr250r or rr , even tho it's old even tho it's thrashed
Even tho it's likely wound back and or crashed - it's miles better in quality and build and resale compared to anything china can design and produce.

japa_VTEC
07-11-2010, 04:09 PM
You have a really good point with the resale value. i didn't realise build quality was that bad but is it worth getting a cbr that some previous L or P plater has completely thrashed over the megelli. I would prefer a cheaper build quality over something that might completely blow up on me. I'm open to options on other bikes too

ICACHA
08-11-2010, 08:05 AM
just dont act like a hero like ever other wanker on a 250 that i've seen. most go out thursday nights with a mates group and act like total tools. ride to survive i say.

yesterday another 250 motogp rider went down on old road thinking he was tony elias.

one thing kids forget is on their L's/P's, if you have chicken strips it usually means you're not that good.

buy the one "you" feel comfortable sitting on/riding. <- best advice you're gonna get :)

elitee
09-11-2010, 06:44 AM
The cibby is a great bike and has a awesome reliable engine as previously said, mine has done 67xxxks and still going strong (touch wood) just make sure you take care of it and it will last a life time !

gumbs
09-11-2010, 07:56 PM
I wouldn't ever consider one of those chinese built death traps. Google for some reviews on them, they don't turn, they don't stop. Half of them aren't even straight.

peterdep
10-11-2010, 11:12 PM
the cbr250rr's have good resell value. i bought my 91 cbr250rr in april this year for 3.5k and sold it in august for 4k with renewed rego. as everyone else says, megelli is a chinese bike UK designed. the reviews on it are not as great. but great looking 250 bike

JohnO
16-11-2010, 10:47 PM
just dont act like a hero like ever other wanker on a 250 that i've seen. most go out thursday nights with a mates group and act like total tools. ride to survive i say.

yesterday another 250 motogp rider went down on old road thinking he was tony elias.

one thing kids forget is on their L's/P's, if you have chicken strips it usually means you're not that good.

buy the one "you" feel comfortable sitting on/riding. <- best advice you're gonna get :)

what did you mean by chicken strips?

bennjamin
17-11-2010, 08:21 AM
what did you mean by chicken strips?

That means the small sections of untouched rubber either side of your rear tyres. Meaning you don't lean!

ICACHA
17-11-2010, 08:22 AM
a chicken strip is the unused portion of the tire to the edge.

this link describes it a little better. http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/tires-chicken-strips-or-not-is-this-better.htm

aimre
02-04-2011, 04:11 PM
CON: Who the **** is megelli

warwick108
04-04-2011, 09:20 AM
i dont think megalli is made in china? im sure its made in euro some where.. =S
they are a fair new company that just hit the motorcycle industry, i heard there was heaps of flaws with the new design. for example when learning to turn left the bike stand scrapes the ground?
why not just get the new ninja 250? its in the similar price range as the megalli?

Twincam16
05-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Majority of the Megelli's range is made in China...

Still too new a manufacturer - id be cautious

JayTea18
05-04-2011, 08:02 PM
whats your price range its a shame i just sold my kawasaki ninja 250r 2008 model =[

From my experiece thats a great bike to :
* Learn
*Lean
*Look good
* sensible power 24 kw

The price range averages from 5500- 6000 - depending on what year or model
Its a great bike man

Twincam16
08-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Why not consider something that will last you a longer period of time and has more torque and looks better, not many consider the Hyosung GT650r's, they have been around for ages now, are now EFI and pretty much all the bugs have been rectified...

http://www.oprekmotor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/2011-Hyosung-GT650R-EFI-01-300x167.jpg

mocchi
12-04-2011, 01:23 PM
what about ninja 250r?

Twincam16
13-04-2011, 09:30 PM
poser nugget

Reborn
23-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Megelli - poorly designed(not sure about the build but yes designed in Britain & made in china) - slow - very weak plastic ( if you come off its gonna be $$$$ ) - good on fuel so good for commuting - looks good - fair price - lots of fancy new stuff fuel injected, electric tacho all that jazz - looks like a rabbit

cbr250rr - old - very fast - parts are cheap - depending on how willing you are to diy its very cheap to maintain - bigger community - gotta search high and low for a really good one - awsom to learn on - been 20 years + & there still amazing

but if you want a good balance bike between the cons and pros of the megelli and cbr250rr just get a ninja, I heard dealers gonna be selling them somewhere around 6k brand new

Reborn
23-05-2011, 10:00 AM
i dont see why you would ride a Hyosung GT650r on your fulls there horrible

dickson
11-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Cbr 250RR is great! I had that for three years, no problem at all!!!

freewilly
06-07-2011, 01:29 PM
This really comes down to personal preference. Buyers need to weight up the pro's and con's of each bike and here they are:

Kawasaki Ninja 250r Negatives:
1. 20 year old technology for extremely inflated price
2. Single cylinder carby for ~6-8k (so what if its newer model)
3. Not as much power as CBR250rr or Hyosung 650r
Positives:
1. Newer model bike
2. looks good

Hyosung 650rNegatives:
1. extremely heavy (even compared to Jap 600's let alone 250's)
2. battery problems(they run dy cell batteries and your looking at quite a bit for a replacement)
3. they have been around for a while but are heavy steering bikes that don't inspire confidence(from experience)
Positives:
1. you get to say your riding a 600
2. cheap (compared to Kwaka)

Honda CBR250rr
Negatives:
1. Leaking forks / Bent forks - predominantly due to age of bike and idiotic riders that cane it and can it
2. Electrical problems - battery, wiring, etc.

Positives:
1. last PURE BRED race machine to come out of Japan period. (they don't build them like they use to and any dealership that track or ride sportsbikes can vouch for this)
2. outside the Aprilia RS125 and RS250 this is the quickest learner legal bike(rs250 not legal actually)
3. Handling that inspires confidence - i have a CBR1000rr Repsol 09 and this bike won Bike of the Year 2 years running and i went straight from 250 to this and this handles like the cbr250rr but with larger kahunas
4. Resell value - i bought mine for 4.4k thrashed it(but serviced it and looked after it + who buys a bike to NOT thrash it? stop riding if thats the case) and sold it after 1 year for 4.7k

Megelli 250s/250r

DON'T BOTHER
performance, handling, build quality, resell value and safety don't even match a written off bike...

I hope this sheds some light on your dilemma.

Personally i would pick the cbr250rr hands down day and night...it's not rare to see cbr250rr(with good riders) take 600s at Old P H or at eastern creek...

ICACHA - chicken strips? Chicken strips doesn't mean that you are not a good rider... riders can still corner fast without getting all the way over 2 the edge of the tyre....
I recommend reading Twist of the Wrist(all parts of the series).. The riding style of any rider will i guess determine wether you have chicken strips or not. The ability to 'hang your body' over the bike whilst cornering which will allow the bike to stay 'more' upright hence leaving a larger contact patch will result in 'chicken strips'....
This will also allow room for error allowing you to 'push' to the edge of the tyre if you are running 'too hot' into a corner...
Due to having the 'chicken strips' riders can counter steer by pushing on the left handle bar(if turning left) and allowing for the bike to dip lower and use the remaining tyre...

Hope this helps.

p.s. A Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code should be all riders Bible.

phatty
13-07-2011, 12:26 AM
I've ridden a honda cbr125, cbr250rr, hyosung gt250r and a yamaha r1. Honestly, 125 is slow so you wont wan't that.. Hyosung was relatively quick but felt "felt" heavy compared to a cbr250rr. Like honestly for comparing purposes it felt like i was in a truck on the Hyosung and in an Evo for the cbr250rr. When i rode the cbr250rr I could tell that my riding skills were getting better. I could corner better and didn't "feel" as heavy to the Hyosung. If you want more speed, change the sprockets like my mate did. The bike felt so much quicker it was scary but you get used to it so.. also it plays with your speedometer. I also like the noise of the cbr250rr rather then the hyosung gt250r. But thats your preference anyway. And the Yamaha r1.. Let me say that it was one scary bike to ride honestly. (Just got my learners) But all in all, cbr250rr will be the way to go, GREAT for learning and I am sure you will be pleased with it. With its price and resell value you can't go wrong with it. If its not for you theres a chance you could sell it for more (Y).

Jccck
14-07-2011, 12:25 PM
2. outside the Aprilia RS125 and RS250 this is the quickest learner legal bike(rs250 not legal actually)
3. Handling that inspires confidence - i have a CBR1000rr Repsol 09 and this bike won Bike of the Year 2 years running and i went straight from 250 to this and this handles like the cbr250rr but with larger kahunas
4. Resell value - i bought mine for 4.4k thrashed it(but serviced it and looked after it + who buys a bike to NOT thrash it? stop riding if thats the case) and sold it after 1 year for 4.7k

Honda's RVF400 is the quickest LAMS bike, and they're old too.. I think they stopped making them around 1997?
I agree that honda Sportbikes definantly make you feel confident!.. I've rode the RVF400, VTR250(Kinda Sporty =P) and the CBR250RR.. They're all comfy bikes that make you feel at home.
Resell on the RVF400's is between 5-7500.. And they've been at those prices for years now.. A bit pricey for an old bike, but awesome resale

freewilly
18-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Honda's RVF400 is the quickest LAMS bike, and they're old too.. I think they stopped making them around 1997?
I agree that honda Sportbikes definantly make you feel confident!.. I've rode the RVF400, VTR250(Kinda Sporty =P) and the CBR250RR.. They're all comfy bikes that make you feel at home.
Resell on the RVF400's is between 5-7500.. And they've been at those prices for years now.. A bit pricey for an old bike, but awesome resale

Define "quickest"...LOL
The RVF from my experience didn't handle as smoothly as the CBR250rr and was not as well balanced...it could just be riding style but overall the times achieved wasn't that much different to justify the difference in price...
Straight line i'd agree that it was quicker but for track and twisties i think the cbr is more suited...

Jccck
19-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Define "quickest"...LOL
The RVF from my experience didn't handle as smoothly as the CBR250rr and was not as well balanced...it could just be riding style but overall the times achieved wasn't that much different to justify the difference in price...
Straight line i'd agree that it was quicker but for track and twisties i think the cbr is more suited...

I've rode both, the CBR is lighter and feels a little more smooth, yeah..
RVF has twice the balls however, and is definantly planted.. It's glued to the ground, and is by no means a 'heavy' bike

Are we talking purely about track racing? Or a LAMS bike for road use.. Because i thought it was the latter.

itsdenny
03-09-2011, 07:28 PM
i'm amazed no one mentioned the awsome 20,000rpm on the cbr250rr's. heaps of fun to play with :)

Twincam16
04-09-2011, 04:40 PM
RVF has twice the balls however, and is definantly planted.. It's glued to the ground, and is by no means a 'heavy' bike

Afaik RVF is around 165kg dry... Similar in weight to most current 600cc bikes

Define "quickest"...LOL

Sounds like you may have ridden one with shot carbs, they tend to go about the speed of a ride on lawnmower and lose a lot of the low down torque.

RVF has a wider track and adjustable USD forks also, easily out handle and faster than any CBR

EG52NV
04-09-2011, 07:04 PM
i'm amazed no one mentioned the awsome 20,000rpm on the cbr250rr's. heaps of fun to play with :)

20,000rpm of fun or noise? I reckon above 12,000rpm it's just noise bike doesn't go anywhere

seihoa
04-09-2011, 09:14 PM
The bike comes alive after 12k rpm ....so not sure what your on about lol

notorious_ahmie
07-09-2011, 03:33 PM
power band is like 10-16k from memory