PDA

View Full Version : Battery/Alternator Issue

gach2
07-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Well i was messing with my headunit out one night and it accidentally was left on all night
and next morning battery was drained.

Hence i charged it using my dads car and jumper leads
car started, left it on for about 30 mins with around 10 mins of driving around
turned it off, then started again then drove 10 mins and left it for 2 days

2 days later tried starting but this time there was no charge at all in the battery (first time atleast the ignition dash lights was working), jump started it again (with more effort this time)
and it was night saw i had to turn headlights on and i found as i revved the car the lights were normal, at idle they dimmed

does this sounds like my batters f**d or could this have something to do with the alternator or other electrical fault?

Bludger
11-11-2010, 10:54 AM
A normal car battery, once its been discharged its stuffed.

must maintain charge for long life.

gach2
11-11-2010, 06:00 PM
prob best to replace?

na-118
11-11-2010, 11:20 PM
you probably won't go replacing a 100 dollar battery if that isn't the case, invest in a multi and do the following test on the alternator and battery before replacing it

check your batteries state of charge without load
check that charging voltage with the engine stopped
check the charging voltage with no load at 1500rpm
charging with load at 1500 rpm
positive voltage drop
and negative voltage drop

not too sure on the specs of light vehicles as im a heavy vehicle mechanic,
but check the charging system before replacing shit,
if you can get a load tester load test the battery to half the ccas on the battery

could be just a faulty regulator in the alternator

and when you mention when your revving it and the lights dim,
its an indication that the alternator can't keep up to charge your battery
or ****ed brushes
or bad connection to ground and postive check b+ on alternator

najdi
27-11-2010, 12:21 AM
depending what type of battery it is..you can fill it up with distilled water u can buy 4l bottle at supercheap for 5 bux..DONT use normal water...also buy a proper battery charger...jumper leads only give it a boost and ur alternator charges it...thsi way ur alternator will be left alone and this will constant charge it...specially if ur not starting the car everyday n what not..other then that check ur alternator with a multimeter or something

Bludger
28-11-2010, 03:02 PM
depending what type of battery it is..you can fill it up with distilled water u can buy 4l bottle at supercheap for 5 bux..DONT use normal water...also buy a proper battery charger...jumper leads only give it a boost and ur alternator charges it...thsi way ur alternator will be left alone and this will constant charge it...specially if ur not starting the car everyday n what not..other then that check ur alternator with a multimeter or somethingwhat?