08-11-2010, 08:43 PM
hey guys,

just want your thoughts and experiences of coilover sleeves

lsvtec
09-11-2010, 11:39 AM
anyone?

jase89
09-11-2010, 02:42 PM
i had them before but i took them off because they were too stiff.. and the car was bouncing all over the place when i hit pot holes.. dno what everyone else thinks though.

1590cc
09-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Just avoid Ebay ones and you'll be fine. Also have some nice aftermarket shocks to match it.

quangsuke
09-11-2010, 08:46 PM
depends what your after really. sleeves are great if ur just going to cruise around.

but if ur going for performance can't go wrong with a matched spring/shock setup.

mooshie
09-11-2010, 09:07 PM
I have had cheap sleeves on Koni yellows for about 6 years now and no issues. I did swap out the springs that came with them for some custom ones as they were too short and too hard. The car was ver bouncy and if you had the sleeves wound even halfway down the spring was not captive meaning it could unseat if you go over a bump, I wasn't real confident with that.

mugen_ctr
09-11-2010, 10:49 PM
too many bad stories with sleeves, my friend had em, same story, to hard of a ride, than the problem of springs to short.... best to stick to lowered springs, an plus whats the primary reason to running sleeves? if ur gonna be swapping ride height to hit the tracks or so i can see the benefits but on a street, best to stick to one ride height i say

RandyRhydah
10-11-2010, 10:06 AM
yeah if you get cheap ones get used to the sound of a spring popping back into its seat every so often...

hasto2770
10-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Ebay sleeves with aftermarket shocks (damper adjustable) - Its fine..

Ebay sleeves with OEM shocks = expensive version of chopped springs

blabla
13-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm saying all sleeve kits (ground control or whatever) are crap. They are only
Designed for one purpose and that's to give the option to lower a car or raise it at will.
If it aids your handling it's the placebo of stiff stiff springs. They aren't coupled with the correct shock valving to cope with the relative height of the intended setup either.
You are throwing money away dude trust me just save up get some sort
Of DUAL perch adjustable coilovers , use them then sell later on for a decent resale.

hey

FYI.

Limbo
14-11-2010, 12:33 AM
yeah have to agree, there is a reason they are cheap, they are designed to lower a car cheap.
They are even cheaper than a decent set of lowered springs

blabla
14-11-2010, 09:56 AM
i am going ahead with sleeves because the only way u find out if something works for you is if you go ahead with it. i bought the eibachs and they dont work for me when it comes to the height, stiffness and the car sits lower on one side then the other. off the shelf kmacs are 190 a pair.

TEGNO1
27-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Another thing to worry about is the sleeves dont sit tight on the shock via a circlip which stops them from moving up and down.
They sit on the standard perch which means the only thing that stops the sleeve from moving up is the car.
Stiff springs and a sh....t load of droop due to standard shocks and being lowered will not only cause your springs to go loose but maybe your whole sleeve spring set-up.
These type of kits rely on the springs being captive.
Everytime your wheel leaves the ground the whole set-up would come loose. Unless the springs are super soft (would keep it captive) which I dont think they are then theres the problem of bumps BANG BANG.
Properly secured ebay coilovers on good shocks and captive might work though but dont know the materials or strength of the kit "who does"