PDA

View Full Version : Problem with removing screws

duzy
08-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Hey guys, has anyone had problems removing screws that are on too tight or just wont budge?

My rear view mirror for instance, tried to remove it with a phillips head and wont budge, just starts to round slowly, also tried it with a flathead bit, ended up warping that. And also the side mirrors with the screws sitting underneath.

Are there any ways to get around this? Would using a power tool help? im thinking it would just round it.
Any help appreciated

Thanks

na-118
08-11-2010, 10:31 PM
come across it everyday at work,
some are ****s to remove some are a breeze

get some wd-40 soaked into it.
reapply if neccessary,
are you using the right phillips screw driver? number 1 or 2 ETC.

if it's starts rounding off also try using a good sized flat blade screw driver that fits in the slot perfectly and also a firm grip and turn it at the same time.

if you can use a cute little hammer, and a flat blade and try prying it against the edges and give it a gentle tap, and try make its way around

hmmm,,, was thinking impact driver but rear view mirror is on glass, haha so that's out of the way,,

you can use a small drill bit slowly drill in the centre of it, making sure you don't go all the way,
and use easy outs with a small shifter and it willmake its way out

hope that helps a little!

worse come to worse weld a flat blade on it LMAO

GIPONU
09-11-2010, 09:16 PM
wd-40 or if you really want. get some "rust off-ice" made by wurth. good stuff, it like shrinks the screw so little so it'll come out of the thread

duzy
10-11-2010, 09:32 PM
wd-40 didnt help, had to drill the sh!t outta it lol, well at least thats over.

rost off-ice looks interesting, any idea where to get? supercheap, repco etc?

Bludger
11-11-2010, 10:43 AM
did you use the right size?

good quality with the right size is pretty tight lock on the head of the screw.

if they are that tight, they must be #3?

GIPONU
11-11-2010, 06:00 PM
good question. try a mechanic shop, just buy it off them, i usually just buy it off my workplace