PDA

View Full Version : HID recommendations for 3rd Gen

Chapman2233
09-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Just wondering peoples opinions on what power light I should get 8000k etc?

An also what type of bulb does the 3rd gen use as I bought a kit but they need the bulb type?

Thanks heaps.

funworld
10-11-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm not too sure but I think the 3rd gen uses H4. If you read your car manual, it will tell you.

'8000k' - the Kelvin numerical value doesn't refer to how powerful the light is. It just refers to the colour temperature (http://www.mediacollege.com/lighting/colour/colour-temperature.html). 8000k is pretty blue and doesn't actually put out that much useful light. To be honest, I wouldn't put HIDs into your prelude. Your prelude's headlights are halogen reflectors - they're not designed to be able to handle HIDs properly. If you put them in, it'll just spray light everywhere and cause a lot of glare for incoming traffic. Despite this, a lot of people put HIDs into halogen reflectors anyway. It's your choice, but my suggestion would be not to.

tOniies
10-11-2010, 10:00 PM
if you do put HIDS in, pleaseeeeee adjust your headlights so they aim down. get a mechanic to do it for you if you dont know how to.

Chapman2233
10-11-2010, 11:11 PM
I already have bought the correct headlight casing and my brothers a mechanic so all good :)

funworld
11-11-2010, 01:43 PM
The bulb type for the headlights you bought might be different to the standard prelude headlights. If the headlights came with a manual or something, check that. Or you could ask whoever you bought them from.

As for the HIDs, it's really up to your own personal preference. OEM HIDs are usually 4100k or 5000k, and they're pretty much white with a slightly yellow tinge. 5000k is pure white and from around 6000k onwards you start getting tinges of blue. Also, as you go higher on the colour temperature, the actual useful output of light decreases. I reckon 5000k is a sweet-spot for functionality and looks.

Out of curiosity, are the headlights you bought angel-eye projectors?