PDA

View Full Version : Information on headers needed

autocross civic EG 6
10-11-2010, 08:36 AM
I run a 95 Civic Eg6 in the Victorian Club Autocross series. Last year I won the up to 1600cc class in the 11 event series.:) Despite winning the last 2 rounds I cannot win the series this year and will finish second.:(I need you guys to give me some input so that next year I can improve my times by about half a second a lap which should be enough to put me consistently near the front at most tracks.:thumbsup: The biggest issue in our gravel or clay track events is traction and I generally have that sorted with a sophisticated coil over setup, rose jointed suspension , a Kaaz 4.7 1.5 LSD and soft rally rubber. Raw ,top end ,wheel spinning power will not produce a good result. I have found my times are usually better when I have lots of rear brake bias dialed in as I can left foot brake to kick the back out and at the same time keep the revs up but sometimes an uphill corner shows up the B16A's lack of torque. The car runs the standard cast iron exhaust manifold:o as it is an ex production rally car and this was a requirement. The exhaust (from the manifold back) is extensively modified and dyno proven. I figure there is an obvious way to pick up some torque with a proven header and I am looking for positive and negative experiences you may have had with different products. The car has a Motec , Civic type R CAMS etc and puts out 105 KW at the wheels . By the way I need to retain reasonable ground clearance.
If you really feel the need to bag a particular product could you PM me as I would like to know about your experience but would prefer not to post it in this public forum. I would value comments backed up by your dyno or track times experiences:wave: rather than "it feels good" or "the car goes like stink";) There are a lot of people here with obvious expertise and I am asking you to help me put my Honda back on the top level of the podium:)
Steve

90LAN
10-11-2010, 08:08 PM
toda 4-2-1 a quality proven header with a good quality cat

have you tried traction bar ?

autocross civic EG 6
10-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks a lot for the info. I have recently seen Toda headers on a car and their workmanship looks to be a very high standard. Do you think a 10 percent increase in torque is achievable with my specifications and is the ground clearance ok? By the way although I have a cat it is no longer necessary as the car has only ever had rally reg and I am about to let that lapse so at this stage I expect I will end up chucking it.
I know next to nothing about using traction bars on loose surfaces. My car grips up amazingly well (better than many rear wheel drive vehicles off the start line ) and I am a bit nervous about changing my settings as it would be easy to lose my way and not get back to where I was. I will discuss your suggestion with my suspension guy.
Regards Steve

ninzee
10-11-2010, 10:35 PM
as far as i know toda has one of the best ground clearances, its near stock