PDA

View Full Version : Strange clutch 'creaking' noise?

Alvis
11-11-2010, 12:21 PM
When I engage and disengage my clutch I have this strange almost 'creaking' noise.

I've taken it to my friend who is a mechanic and he said the clutch is just 'dry' and not to worry about it because there's nothing really you can do about it. It also tends to happens some days and not others (weird I know).

It's the original factory clutch with 56,000kms on the clock, and I don't drive the car hard, so there should be plenty left on it...

Has anyone else heard of this?

EK1.6LCIV
11-11-2010, 12:38 PM
56,oooks? wow :)

still parts can deteriorate with age

mugen_ctr
11-11-2010, 01:00 PM
if it creaks, or squeaks, odds are its like mine, lol, its a number of things, clutch master cyclinder, clutch pedal maybe, the clutch itself.... i tried a quick fix, spraying wd40 into the clutch pivot, but imma get my clutch changed before Christmas, so hopefully that should resolve the issue

Alvis
11-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Mmm... yeh true and don't really want to change all that to find out - i'll put it down to old age :D It's pretty loud though people look at the car when I drive past like something must have just broken LOL

Cool, thanks guys :)

mugen_ctr
11-11-2010, 01:17 PM
its a common problem with hondas, dunno why lol, but when ur cars loud, odds are u wont even hear it at all, an frankly im kinda getting sick of my cat-back, too loud nowadays :(

Alvis
11-11-2010, 02:01 PM
true, I don't have a cannon or anything - and to tell you the truth i don't know how guys drive around with cannons - just too loud IMO - a nice sports muffler does me fine and looks better anyway.

I notice the exhaust annoyance when I drive to Sydney it does get a bit annoying depending on load and rpm - sometime you just need to shove it into a lower gear to make the thing shut up lol, but love it around town :)

EK1.6LCIV
11-11-2010, 03:08 PM
my noise ended up rebuilding most of the gear box, drives like new

na-118
11-11-2010, 04:20 PM
lol how you know theres plenty of meat left you pull the box out?

na-118
11-11-2010, 04:21 PM
can you get video of noise up if its loud enough?

CiveK1
12-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Had the same problem about a 8 months ago was really loud and i thought it was the master cylinder, took it to the mech and they checked everythig and it was all good just lubricated the clutch pivots and its been quite ever since.

Alvis
12-11-2010, 10:42 AM
that sounds like it CiveK1 - I'll try get some video up tomorrow on it - just so temperamental - drove it this morning and it was fine but yeh, it's pretty loud when it does do it.

...and it doesn't matter if you engage/disengage clutch in neutral or in a gear - still makes same noise... so don't know if this is another clue could be pivot points?

Oh.. and by the way anyone know where the pivot points are - do you have take the clutch out?

bennjamin
12-11-2010, 11:38 AM
pivot point on release fork could be dried out
pivot point of slave piston-to-release fork could be dried out
release/thrust bearing worn out
pressure plate worn/loose

All the above can be easily replaced/fixed/lubricated when you drop the gearbox.

Alvis
12-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks bennjamin - that's a fairly comprehensive list :) ... given I know the history of the car i'd say dried out pivot points are most likely the reason why

Alvis
07-02-2011, 08:54 PM
bit of a late post but the clutch noise is back again - have a listen can you guys make anything of it?

The creaking is when the pedal is on the way up and the clutch engaging:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxn3iAXH00k

It started to creak after about 80km into the week when the weather was steaming hot, especially here in NSW on Saturday. On Sunday, when we had the cool change... it was as quiet as a mouse...