PDA

View Full Version : Which K motor???

BnB
11-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Sorry if this has been covered to death, but Have done a search and can't find anything....

As far as the K20's and 24's go..
If you where going to strip out all the stock internals, cams, pistons, rods etc etc and replace with aftermarket gear. Is there any benifit in chosing one engine over another (ie K20a1,K20a2, k20Z1 etc etc) Or are they all the same once you start throwing aftermarket bits in them?

And if you were going to start off by running a stock engine..maybe with a set of cams and tune, is one better than the other. The K20Z1 looks the best of the bunch on paper for the 2L's....but you can't always belive what you read :D

The application will be for a dedcated Track car... no road use. ( if it makes any difference)

If there is already a thread on this.. a link would be much appreciated.

Thanks, BnB

Bludger
23-11-2010, 03:52 PM
How about just spend 2 hours to read up on other threads?

All you have to do is search "k20 k24" and I'm sure a million threads will come up.

just read them.

you're never going to get another thread asking the exact same question as yours.

Stop trying to put all the leg work into others. All the information you require is already in this forum. All you have to do is spend some time to read.

fatboyz39
23-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Whats your goal of the track car?

BnB
24-11-2010, 10:18 AM
How about just spend 2 hours to read up on other threads?

All you have to do is search "k20 k24" and I'm sure a million threads will come up.

just read them.

you're never going to get another thread asking the exact same question as yours.

Stop trying to put all the leg work into others. All the information you require is already in this forum. All you have to do is spend some time to read.

Sorry to have inconvieninced you...
But I did do a search (several actually)...I found plenty of threads on leaky seals and stuck bolts etc etc and A couple that where more geared towards daily drivers and engine selection.. nothing that I could see that addressed the major technical differences
but I couldn't really find anything relevant to what I'm looking for... So seeing as this is a "Forum" where people come to disscuss a common interest because they like to do.... so I thought I'd save my self 2 hours (that I don't have to spare) and ask a direct question.

But i'll take your advice on board and do another search of "K20 K24"

Cheers :)

Whats your goal of the track car?

Improved production......
I'm Steping out of the over 2ltr class (V8)and into the Under 2ltr.

But I would like the option later to go back to Over 2ltr by putting a K24 bottom end in it. I have heard figures of 400 + HP out of a well built N/A K24.
Couple that with 1100kg (Minimum Weight restricions) EG and that would be an RX7 Killer( Current domenant over 2ltr car in IP)

Your Avatar looks very familiar... is that Mr B

Cheers BnB

TODA AU
24-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Drop me a line if you want to be at the pointy end of the feild.
- can do... No problem...

Benson
24-11-2010, 10:30 PM

But I would like the option later to go back to Over 2ltr by putting a K24 bottom end in it. I have heard figures of 400 + HP out of a well built N/A K24.
Couple that with 1100kg (Minimum Weight restricions) EG and that would be an RX7 Killer( Current domenant over 2ltr car in IP)

With the current lap times in the under 2lt class, you can win it with a standard k20 motor. But if you want to blow the field away, a built k20 will do the trick. But having said all this, you gotta make sure you got a good chassis, suspension set-up, transmission etc. It all depends on who you listen too and follow. Usually go with the quickest guys out there. Listen to them and learn from there experience

400hp built k24 are usually drag race engine in the US. I dont think they can last very long in IPRA

BnB
25-11-2010, 05:22 AM
With the current lap times in the under 2lt class, you can win it with a standard k20 motor. But if you want to blow the field away, a built k20 will do the trick. But having said all this, you gotta make sure you got a good chassis, suspension set-up, transmission etc. It all depends on who you listen too and follow. Usually go with the quickest guys out there. Listen to them and learn from there experience

400hp built k24 are usually drag race engine in the US. I dont think they can last very long in IPRA

Hey Benny!!! Hows it going...... I am still planning on coming out to have a chat with you and steal some of your secrets....(trackchat:wave:)
I have just been waiting to see if/when the current race car sells before I go waisting mine and other peoples time....
I have a guy coming out on Friday to have a look that sounds pretty keen..... but we'll just have to wait and see..:cool:

Drop me a line if you want to be at the pointy end of the feild.
- can do... No problem...

Is there any other place??????
Was planning on paying you a visit :)
But like I said to Benson, I have been just waiting to see if or when the current car sells.
Whens the best time to call in for a chat?

najdi
27-11-2010, 12:13 AM
well ive had a dc5r k20a and a eg with k20z1...obviously theres weight issues and the k20z1 had bolt on mods STOCK internals tuned at 145 ATW...and the thing was a animal but i do say if ur going k20z1 put a k20a hearbox or LSD coz it is needed i just got wheelspin 1st 2nd and 3rd

fatboyz39
28-11-2010, 03:08 PM
How does LSD got to do anything with traction going straight line?

Samm928
05-12-2010, 11:55 PM
i dont have lsd(dc5s gbox) and i do maddddd burnouts at wsid.. (both wheels spin).

uplaod a photo for you guys later

TODA AU
06-12-2010, 06:09 AM
Whens the best time to call in for a chat?
Early this week... (In Brissy after that)
Then next week Mon 13th to Tues 22nd
After that would be after new year or phone 0401869524

najdi
06-12-2010, 06:30 PM
How does LSD got to do anything with traction going straight line?

um getting the wheels down buddy ? try launching 1st gear with rev limiter set at 4rpm and not slapping the clutch out..even if you were driving normal the thing spins...lsd plays a BIG PART brother

quangsuke
06-12-2010, 06:45 PM
um getting the wheels down buddy ? try launching 1st gear with rev limiter set at 4rpm and not slapping the clutch out..even if you were driving normal the thing spins...lsd plays a BIG PART brother

What he is saying is that LSD does not help with traction in a STRAIGHT line . LSD limits the slip difference between left wheel n right wheel.... limiting the slip difference will hence increase traction out of a corner without spinning all ur power away.

if your getting that much wheel spin then your car isn't set up correctly