PDA

View Full Version : New Honda Insight

clayton4115
12-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Who is getting the new Insight, what do you think of it, launches early December in OZ

:D

UNLS1
23-11-2010, 11:10 AM
driven it, its a nice car considering i cant stand the civic hybrid.
i think it will do well as its more fun to drive and looks heaps better.
I still wouldnt buy one though.

Atjo
23-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Any picture?

Philip Lee
23-11-2010, 12:26 PM
any price and spec?

2k1cvc
23-11-2010, 01:41 PM
from: http://www.autos4fast.com/2010-honda-insight-hybrid/

A second piece of big news comes from the good news that the Honda Insight hybrid will be priced well below any of the other hybrids on the market, including the Honda Civic Hybrid and Toyota Prius. That means less than $20,000, and we wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the Insight start between $16,000 and $17,000.

twing
23-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Insight start between $16,000 and $17,000 <- those are US $.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/40F5CA51D303D3F0CA2577C00025F396

The $29,990 VTi model will be joined by the better-equipped $33,490 VTi-L.

2k1cvc
24-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Insight start between $16,000 and $17,000 <- those are US $.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/40F5CA51D303D3F0CA2577C00025F396

The $29,990 VTi model will be joined by the better-equipped $33,490 VTi-L.

Dayum :( oh well thanks for the *edit*

UNLS1
25-11-2010, 02:17 PM
base is from 29,990 for VTi, Vti-L is 34,490 + ORC

vti has alloys cruise, climate rev sensors
vti l has sat nav, rev camera, fog lights blah blah

curtis265
25-11-2010, 02:54 PM
it's got nice stuff, just that ugly butt :(

Atjo
30-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Whereabout is the new dealer in melbourne? Will you be working there?

UNLS1
02-12-2010, 02:52 PM
bundoora
yes i will be working there, ive been 6 years at my current honda dealer time for a change!

Atjo
03-12-2010, 01:42 PM
What's the name of the dealer? You were working on Sydney honda dealer before right?

UNLS1
14-12-2010, 08:44 AM
nope melb for 6 years

clayton4115
23-12-2010, 10:11 AM
sold any honda insights yet,

how are they moving out of the showroom?

UNLS1
29-12-2010, 03:23 PM
only sold a few insights..ive been driving out vti-l its a good little city car i like it, not my cup of tea but for 10k less than a prius id get one if i had to!

not moving to new dealer any more, staying at my current one as assistant manager

Atjo
29-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Can you give us good prices if we buy through you? Which dealer you're working at the moment?

brewstermac
11-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Has anyone purchased the new Insight VTi-L?
If so, can you give a review of the SatNav?

I believe it is a Honda own proprietry brand, so no online manuals or specification other than what is on the web site.

I believe it has a 6" screen - any info on its capability/shortcommings?

brewstermac
24-01-2011, 07:22 AM

I have now ordered a new Spectum White Pearlescent VTi-L.:)
Now the wait for it to arrive ....

UNLS1
28-01-2011, 09:53 AM
If so, can you give a review of the SatNav?

I believe it is a Honda own proprietry brand, so no online manuals or specification other than what is on the web site.

I believe it has a 6" screen - any info on its capability/shortcommings?

all i can say about the sat nav is that is heaps better than the euro and accord sat navs!

brewstermac
28-01-2011, 10:19 AM
all i can say about the sat nav is that is heaps better than the euro and accord sat navs!

Thanks UNSL1
What is heaps better about it in particular if you don't mind?

UNLS1
28-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks UNSL1
What is heaps better about it in particular if you don't mind?

the euro is very basic, the insight has live traffic updates, better mapping, handsfree bluetooth for phone and music!
its a fantastic unit, u can even play dvds too

brewstermac
28-01-2011, 01:33 PM
the euro is very basic, the insight has live traffic updates, better mapping, handsfree bluetooth for phone and music!

Great!
Thanks UNLS1 :)

Atjo
28-01-2011, 04:24 PM

Is there any restriction on playing DVDs? Any video output?

brewstermac
01-02-2011, 06:19 AM
Probably a silly question but what the heck ;)
With the l/100km and mpg button on the dash, is the conversion for Imperial mpg or US mpg?
Its just that I'm a bit old fashioned and may want to check my mpg as well as my l/100km without having to revert to a calculator.

Anyone with an Insight able to help?

brewstermac
04-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Probably a silly question but what the heck ;)
With the l/100km and mpg button on the dash, is the conversion for Imperial mpg or US mpg?
Its just that I'm a bit old fashioned and may want to check my mpg as well as my l/100km without having to revert to a calculator.

Anyone with an Insight able to help?

Well I should be able to find out for myself on Thursday when I pickup my new Insight :)

brewstermac
13-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Well I should be able to find out for myself on Thursday when I pickup my new Insight :)

Well, the oz version doesn't have the button to change from metric to imperial like the US version of the Insight.

By the way picked up the new car and drove it home the 400km. Very happy with the car so far. :)

Had a couple of lockups with the sat nav so far ... this occured when the passenger went to alter destination while travelling. Will need to reproduce this to report back how the lockup occured.

Ended up getting 5.2l/100km so far which included about 170km of city and 365 of highway driving.

UNLS1
14-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Well, the oz version doesn't have the button to change from metric to imperial like the US version of the Insight.

By the way picked up the new car and drove it home the 400km. Very happy with the car so far. :)

Had a couple of lockups with the sat nav so far ... this occured when the passenger went to alter destination while travelling. Will need to reproduce this to report back how the lockup occured.

Ended up getting 5.2l/100km so far which included about 170km of city and 365 of highway driving.

once the car is moving its locks out the NAV so u cant change it whilst driving. this is done for safety.

brewstermac
14-02-2011, 12:19 PM
once the car is moving its locks out the NAV so u cant change it whilst driving. this is done for safety.

I am able to zoom-in and zoom-out while travelling, maybe it locks out other functions such as new destinations?

UNLS1
15-02-2011, 09:18 AM
correct!

Atjo
15-02-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure with Honda but there's a way to unlock the sat nav when i unlocked my friend's IS250.

brewstermac
16-02-2011, 06:01 PM
After having the Insight for a week now, thought I would relate some of my experiences ...

* I was pleasantly suprised by the usefullness of the 'rain-sensing wipers'.
* I was more suprised to find the adjusting dial for the angle of the low beam, enabling adjustment of the headlights depending on the load distribution in the car.
* I love the 'auto-stop' feature and feel a little smug sitting next to other cars at stop lights burning petrol :)
* I find travelling in 'electric-mode' relatively easy to do, for short distances; but it all helps in getting great fuel economy.
* I like the cruise control when in ECON mode during highway travelling - it has no where near the aggressive characteristics of my other vehicles' cruise-control. This is especially helpful when selecting resume after having slowed some what.
* I am quite comfortable with the apparent 'excessive road noise' that has been reported in other articles, I found it quite acceptable, in fact at low rpm I found it quieter than my previous 2006 Commodore.
* The car does get buzzy when rpm is greater than about 2500, but I was expecting that.
* I find the reversing camera very helpful when backing out of my garage.
* I like the design of the centre armrest, it fits my arm like a glove.
* I like the idea of having the USB connection in the glovebox rather than the centre armrest.

Now for a couple of negatives or areas for improvement in my opinion ...
* I have set the speed alarm at 60km/hr. This works fine for the intial encroachment over the speed limit, but should you reduce your speed, then go over 60km/hr again in relatively a short period of time, the alarm does not operate. If there is an appreciable amount of time before going over the alarm set point then the alarm is activated again.
* It would be good if the 'hard' buttons for Audio/Dest/Map etc., on the sat nav were backlit for night driving - I find them impossible to see, next to the brightness of the screen.
* I would like to see a real-time clock displayed when I'm in the Sat Nav screen as well as the existing estimated destination arrival time clock. (I know you can change screens to get the actual time, but as there are no other 'clocks' displayed on the dashboard, one on the sat nav screen would be handy.

What I would like to add to my Insight ...
* I'm considering purchasing a Tyre Management System for the car. As fuel economy is an integral part of this car especially, and I love gadgets, one of these is on my shopping list. I would hope to install it under the small drop-down compartment.
http://www.inawise.com/tpmsintro.html
P.S. I'm not affiliated with this product in any way.

I may post more personal experiences with the Insight as time goes on ... (If people find them of interest?)
'til next time.

curtis265
16-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Impressive impression brestermac!

Certainly looks like it's got all the bits and pieces. Shouldn't the headlights be auto aiming? Just a thought..

DC2-PWR
16-02-2011, 07:49 PM
+1 rep to brestermac,

gotta love a honest review. waited very long for this.

thanks heaps.

brewstermac
16-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Shouldn't the headlights be auto aiming? Just a thought..

Took a quick pic, not real good unfortunately - see if I can get a better one later. :o (Interestingly this feature is not on the current US model according to their on-line manual.)
My :honda: manual states ...

Headlight Adjuster (For some types)
The vertical angle of the headlights (low beam) can be adjusted according to the number of persons and the loading weight in the luggage area.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON(II) position. Turn the adjusting dial to select the appropriate angle of the headlights.

0. A driver or driver and passenger in the front seat.
1. Five persons in the front and rear seats.
2. Five persons in the front and rear seats and luggage in the luggage area, within limis of maximum ....... permissable weight.
3. A driver and luggage in the luggage area, within limis of maximum ....... permissable weight.

UNLS1
17-02-2011, 10:12 AM
brewster,

a fantastic write up there indeed!

Would u mind if i showed it to my DSM from Honda Australia when he next visits me?

brewstermac
17-02-2011, 10:32 AM
brewster,

a fantastic write up there indeed!

Would u mind if i showed it to my DSM from Honda Australia when he next visits me?

Not a problem, UNSL1.
A DSM is? Department Sales Manager?

Cheers :)

Philip Lee
17-02-2011, 03:07 PM

seriously, does Honda Australia take these kind of comment/feedback on board?

clayton4115
19-02-2011, 12:17 PM
hi brewster

thanks so much for the review, i am toying up the idea of a used 2007/08 civic hybrid or the new insight, (as i can get a used low km hybrid for around $20k) and reading reviews i find the civic hybrid a better overall car, however ive been reading some really bad battery reports coming out of the US in relation to the civic hybrid and i am apprehensive about this, are they are battery issues with the Aussie civic hybrids?

also can anyone tell me how much it would cost to replace the low resistance tyres on the civic hybrid and how much it would cost to install a honda bluetooth car kit in the civic hybrid.

thanks!!!

brewstermac
20-02-2011, 07:16 AM
hi brewster

thanks so much for the review

No worries, hope you found it useful. As for your questions, afraid I don't have the experience or answers. Good luck with whichever car you choose.
Cheers.

UNLS1
22-02-2011, 10:50 AM
yes the do.

Ive spoken to my DSM and he is keen for me to send it to him

Philip Lee
22-02-2011, 11:05 AM
yes the do.

Ive spoken to my DSM and he is keen for me to send it to him

good to know. thanks

brewstermac
03-03-2011, 12:01 PM
After having the Insight for a week now, thought I would relate some of my experiences ...

* It would be good if the 'hard' buttons for Audio/Dest/Map etc., on the sat nav were backlit for night driving - I find them impossible to see, next to the brightness of the screen.

Just an update on this item, there is now backlighting to the sat nav buttons, I did report this to my salesman prior to my first 1,000km service, I wonder if they 'switched' this on then? Maybe it was omitted initially?

In the first instance, the backlight on the window controls on the doors were backlit but not the sat nav ... and now they are. Curious, but all good :thumbsup:

'til next time.

clayton4115
03-03-2011, 08:55 PM
must look nice with the backlighting, any pics of your babe.

brewstermac
04-03-2011, 06:53 AM
must look nice with the backlighting, any pics of your babe.

I'll take a pic of the backlighting soon ...

clayton4115
05-03-2011, 06:02 PM
very nice, i like the white on it.

got to test drive a HCH today, it was a 2008 model with 25000 kms (15,500 miles) on the clock

i really enjoyed it although it has its own sounds - such as when i am braking it makes a funny sound, i think its got to do with the regenerative braking.

it also didn't auto stop on a couple of occasions even though the battery was at 90%? but then after it auto stopped with the air con on?

acceleration was OK, however i think the acceleration was alot better in the insight i test drove in december last year

the car looks very porshe inside, very luxurious looking and i love the dash, it makes the car look longer than it probably is due to the speedo so far away.

here is a video of me driving, i drove it for 10kms and got 6.1 / 100 kms (urban driving - no highways) 6.2 Miles / 38mpg.

I liked the car alot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Ynft6uwPg

brewstermac
09-03-2011, 10:53 AM
very nice, i like the white on it.

got to test drive a HCH today, it was a 2008 model with 25000 kms (15,500 miles) on the clock

here is a video of me driving, i drove it for 10kms and got 6.1 / 100 kms (urban driving - no highways) 6.2 Miles / 38mpg.

I liked the car alot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Ynft6uwPg

Liked your video, well done!

clayton4115
13-03-2011, 03:21 PM
thanks, im so much wanting to get the HCH2 - still in discussions with the "treasurer".

clayton4115
13-03-2011, 03:21 PM
p.s would love to see your insight in action on youtube :thumbsup:

brewstermac
13-03-2011, 05:50 PM
p.s would love to see your insight in action on youtube :thumbsup:

I have no video camera, will see what I can do ... :o

sireza
12-04-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm looking to buy a vti-l as well, what sort of price should be aiming for? Any advice?

Does $33k sounds too ambitious?

brewstermac
13-04-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm looking to buy a vti-l as well, what sort of price should be aiming for? Any advice?

Does $33k sounds too ambitious?

I had a trade-in so comparisons are difficult, but no harm in giving that a try :)

sireza
13-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks brewstermac!

Hows the car btw? I've read your impression a couple pages back, any more complaints/concerns since?

brewstermac
13-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks brewstermac!

Hows the car btw? I've read your impression a couple pages back, any more complaints/concerns since?

Car is going great. I was a little apprehensive about travelling to Adelaide - going through the Adelaide Hills, but it was fine, no problems tackling the long inclines - in cruise control set at 110km/hr, never reached 5000rpm and I didn't think it was noisy at all. The 550km trip at speed limits - mostly 110km/hr I averaged 5.46l/100km going by petrol pump. The return trip was 5.78l/100km not wonderful, but compared to my previous Commodore, I'm happy :)

clayton4115
28-04-2011, 09:17 PM
thats really good figures there brew!