PDA

View Full Version : Head unit turning off and on??

MrED
15-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Finally got around to putting the interior back into the ED hatch I'm ... slowly ... fixing up with my son.

I installed a new Clarion (CZ100A) head unit following a workshop manual and the Clarion manual.

I have fitted 4" Fusions in the doors and 6" Sony explodes in the rear.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/Eltwisto/civic/Picture007.jpg

BUT ... It powers up fine but when I turn it up it cuts out and then turns back on. It also cuts out when I turn on the Headlamps and for no reason at all? This happens both with CD and Radio. :confused:

I tried runing a power wire direct to the battery instead of the std wiring loom + ... no different. I tried taking the earth direct to the console frame instead of loom - ... no different.

I swapped it with another new head unit waiting to go into my project ... same deal.

The battery seems to have plenty of juice as it starts the car on the first crank but it has been sitting around for a while.

Any clues folks?

Pete

xclusive_eg8
15-11-2010, 08:49 AM
That seems odd but I know for a fact that the actual headunit isn't getting enough current to substantiate the higher. Current needed when the volume is turned up. Try checking and testing your solder joins, they arnt hard to mistakly cold solder or not provided a good contact. I'm talking about the join from cabin harness to the harness you woulda got with the headunit

ICACHA
15-11-2010, 09:09 AM
double check your wiring, you have a short somewhere.
check the speakers aren't shorting to ground.

MrED
16-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys

It does seem like a short.

I'll check the speakers/wiring and the soldered joints and insulation on the weekend.