PDA

View Full Version : Valve Adjustment

zhong
16-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Hey Fellas,

Just wondering whether anyone had adjusted their valves themselves? I want to have mine checked, as it seems to be a little bit noisier than normal (nothing major, but I notice it so better to check it). If my valves aren't out of spec, the next thing I'll look at is the Timing Chain Tensioner - probably do that mod people do on S2Ki.

I just want to know how people went about in doing so and anything I should look out for, as it seems like a very straight forward process. I am slowly trying to eliminate any abnormal sounds that may be heard, because I think it's quite embarassing... lol

Recently changed my idle/tensioner pulleys, and have noticed it dampened some of the whining noise, but I suspect the other pulleys are a bit worn too (Alternator/Water Pump) so I may have them all changed out as well. Mind you, the serpentine belt was still pretty shmicko. I just hit 100,000kms. ):

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Peace.

JAP-S2K
16-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Yes many of times, Actually i'm doing mine tonight! they're easy to do, you'll need the specs and to follow the service manual on the correct method and sequence. I had mine done and the engine sounded like a diesel, so i sourced a service manual, decent feeler guages and done them myself. Tapets that are need adjusting can be easily diagnosed through the consistent ticking/taping sound, the chain tensioner is more inconsistent and can become loud on decel, hard to explain, but you can tell where the noise is coming from, front = generally tensioner, top = tapets. Good luck.

zhong
16-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Cheers mate, just what I wanted to hear! I actually have one of them valve adjustment tools (the screw driver inside a socket set with a handle) so it should be fairly simple to do. Do you mind posting me your specs? As surely, it worked for you.. lol I might tackle it tonight also! My noise isn't really a noise, I think i'm just being picky.. But meh, doesn't hurt to check!

Peace.

JAP-S2K
16-11-2010, 03:16 PM
I'll post them up tonight, specs are as per service manual. You need to understand that the rocker arm needs to be placed on a certain point of the cam lobe, so that the adjustments are done correctly (you'll need to manually spin the crank in the right position to achieve this, also easier with the spark plugs out!).

zhong
16-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I understand that there needs to be 4 different cam positions to be able to measure each clearance etc etc. I just want to cross-reference the specs your using to be sure we're talking about the same thing.. Shouldn't take more than an hour to do IMO.

JAP-S2K
16-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Yeah sweet, thought i'd ask anyway. Usually takes me about hour to do and re-check.

zhong
16-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Thought I might as well ask you since your a mechanically inclined.. Have you ever experienced a sort of "Alternator Whine" type noise in your S? People of S2Ki say that it's common for the idle/tensioner pulleys to get noisy over time.. I've replaced both and I still get the whine, althought noticebly quieter it's still there! It sounds like the gearbox ish, but mixed with engine sounds if you know what I mean, generally hear it on gear breaking next to a wall... It whines down with RPM.

I might change the Compressor Pulley and Water Pump Pulley too, but I thought I'd ask....

Si1enzio
16-11-2010, 04:10 PM
JAP, since you're doing yours you can do mine too lol

JAP-S2K
16-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Yeah mines got heaps of whines, but i've just zoned out to all of them over time, a whine that's engine speed related could be a whole stack of things, either motor or gearbox related, whines are a hard thing to diagnose when it's only very minor, you really need to try and pinpoint the location, however if it's only minor, i personally wouldn't worry to much about it, as most early models are well over 100,000kms, so it's fair to expect a few noises here and there.

Anyhow service manual states, Intake 0.21mm - 0.25mm & Exhaust 0.25 - 0.29mm, my choice has been to always run the larger gap, as it's more suited to hotter engine conditions.

Sure Si1, if the price is right.....LOL

DLO01
16-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Make sure you gap with a stone cold engine.

euromandeluxe
16-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Is there anyone in Melb who'd like to show me how to do this? I want to DIY but would like some supervision the first time :)
I also need a service manual. I've got one on the comp but it's annoying to use.
Case of beer for anyone whos willing!

zhong
17-11-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm planning to do it over the weekend, so I guess I can try take some photos for a possible DIY write up? I know there's heaps of them on S2Ki etc, but I think they speak a different language in the northern hemisphere. Ie. Bondo, Inches, Feet, PITA, etc LOL

kimnkk
17-11-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm interested in doing it too, in melb :) Haven't had any experience either LOL

JAP-S2K
17-11-2010, 02:16 PM
^^^ DIY is perfectly fine, however this is not a task for someone who is not mechanically minded. As the inlet side is tricky (due to injector rail) and you need to have the right tools.

Age_S2000
17-11-2010, 06:08 PM
euroman pm me im in westersuberbs im a mechanic n iv done mine...

zHong yea its a simple task if u knw wat ur doing but wait till u take the R/cover off n see how simple the intake manifold side is to do lol

asps91
18-11-2010, 09:57 AM
^^^ DIY is perfectly fine, however this is not a task for someone who is not mechanically minded. As the inlet side is tricky (due to injector rail) and you need to have the right tools.

Whats the right price LOL, ill get you to do mine :)

zhong
18-11-2010, 10:07 AM
You guys should really wait for photos and how I go first.. I'm sure it's a piece of nothing... lol I've done valve adjustments on many other vehicles, just not the S2000 yet. I'll be sure to take detailed photos with my iPhone. LOL

Wait for the weekend!

felixd
18-11-2010, 11:04 AM
I have done a couple of cars too but not the s2000 i reckon its pretty similar to any other hondas its just a 4 cylinder :)

JAP-S2K
18-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Not really similar, I've only had experience with B and F series engines. B series are easy to do. The injector rail (and injectors) on the F20C makes the inlet side difficult to do, as it's hard to get the feeler gauge in (i bent my feeler to make it fit) as for tightening the tapet, it is very difficult without the use of a hollow ratchet and extension. Otherwise remove the fuel rail and injectors and it'll be much easier.

zhong
23-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Haven't done it yet... Maybe this weekend.

But I did manage to clean my IACV valve whilst servicing the beast and fixing a few minor seepages... Boy did it make a difference... Got photos if anyone is interested to see the gunk that loves the side of the throttlebody... I've noticed better fuel economy recently too, but I did use Ultimate instead of the usual Vortex for this tank.... Might be coicedence, but regradless I'm a happy camper!