PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic EJ8 D16Y8 Pully unstable -

blueyozi
16-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had experienced problems on their D16s engine regarding my engine?

I recently have purchased a daily EJ8. I want it to be as reliable as honda is. Since its a second hand, unfortunately not even 2 weeks after purchasing the car from private sale. It had already costed me $700 for Service, master brake cylinder and clutch cylinder replacement.

Now a new problem has come up - whilst Driving along sydney road on the way to the entrance, during the hot weather on the weekends, i heard some weird noise and felt some shaky movement (not vibration) coming from engine bay. Seems like its from the aircon. I thought Air-con pump must be gone. Turned aircon off and the noise will disappear and less movement. So turned the aircon completely off and headed for the entrance.

The next day. Aircon seems to be fine goes cold again, however driving was still uncomfortable as i can still feel slightly unstable movement on my feet coming from the engine... could hear a little bit of noise too. Drove from home to work, then from work back home. about 45 mins each way

I checked the engine when i got home. I saw one of the Pully Shaking whilst rotating. (The main pully on the bottom of engine i think) I was wondering if this is normal? If not how much will this cost me?

Thanks.

JohnnyJohnJohn
16-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't think any pulley shaking whilst rotating is ever considered normal :confused:, Correct me if I'm wrong but by the way you described it, it sounds like the Crank Pulley? if so then im pretty sure its not supposed to shake and wobble lol? I think you should get that checked asap. Not really sure how much it would cost depending on how bad the outcome maybe. Have you tried to physically exam it? if there are any screws missing or any irregularity? does the engine seem to idle fine?
Will sub to this thread, may come in handy if it happens to me >.<!

blueyozi
16-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Yeh... Reading other threads seems to be the crank pully. But not entirely sure. But will be taking the car to the mechanic tomorrow.

Will update this of the outcome.

blueyozi
17-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Took it to the mechanic today. Fortunately the mechanic did not find any abnormalities with the car or the pullies... However still worried.... as there is a tiny bit of a wobble on the main pully. Also, why would it make such a sound and unstability on the weekend?

egb16b
18-11-2010, 09:28 PM
if the crank pulley is wobbling, normally means that you have a worn crank keyway.
This normally happens when not torqueing the pulley incorrectly or re-using the old crank key.

I would suggest taking it to another mechanic to check it out. worn keyway can put your timing out, causing you to lose power and can even cause engine failure.

i could be wrong though so yeahs.. take it to another mechanic.