PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issues.

JohnnyJohnJohn
16-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Hi OzH!

Ok first off I have searched the net and forum and pretty certain what the problem maybe, but in saying that I wouldn't mind some help in overcoming this problem that s doing my head in :(

Well basically I have a D16A8 thats running 200K+ the car will prime as usual but when trying to start, it will not do it... won't crank nada! just a loud tick.. tick... tick, its not the battery or the alternator. At random times it will just start as usual, when it does it gives out a loud whine upon startup. Sometimes it needs a few tries to get going and every now and again it will begin to start but die out.

Im pretty sure its the starter motor, well I think it is? Is there anything that I could do before spending money on a new starter just incase it wasn't the starter that was the problem? I was having trouble pinpointing which wires which on the starter motor and how to actually troubleshoot it. I have checked all the grounding wires.

Its a D16A8 so I checked the:
- Neg Battery to Chassis
- Tranny to Chassis
- Valve Cover to Chassis
- The small ground wire coming from the wire harness to the thermostat housing.
All grounds are cleaned, bare metal contact.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SuiJin
16-11-2010, 04:38 PM
starters are around $50 second hand anyway get a new starter

mathew[fn2]
17-11-2010, 02:29 PM
does ur motor still turn-over? if it does, it might not be ur starter. check if u get spark from all four spark leads. might be ur dizzy starting to die on u. also might be ur main relay if u dont hear ur fuel pumping through.

V73C
17-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Its a starter for sure.

Lukey
17-11-2010, 08:27 PM
with the ticking, does it only do it once when you turn the key to start it? or continuously.

when my starter motor plays up it will click once when i turn the key to start then nothing.

trying getting a metal pole in onto the starter motor and put some leverage at different angles and stuff to push it a bit towards the engine and try and start it. i did this for a few months with mine. try pulling it out and give things a bit of a clean and bolts a nip up to make sure they are tight, just dont snap one of the little bolts (6, 7 or 8mm i think) holding down part of it, funnily enough i hasnt had any problems since i did that lol.

JohnnyJohnJohn
17-11-2010, 09:05 PM
heya, yea it doesn't turn over at all, it will click once and once only per ignition. I was told by a friend that a gear or somthing may be getting stuck at some point, as to why it will do it at random times, I'll definately give that ago, is there anything i should know before I go and pull it out? A tutorial maybe?

grifty
17-11-2010, 10:47 PM
you have to disconnect the battery before you pull your starter out so you dont melt the wiring.

JohnnyJohnJohn
18-11-2010, 01:36 AM
definitely keep that in mind! thx for that lol.

Alexplicit
18-11-2010, 04:45 AM
try bashing at it with a hammer or something :D worked for me in my old pintara :D this however is only a temporary fix and wont work forever.

vinnY
18-11-2010, 03:01 PM
same thing happened to me, turned out to be worn starter motor contacts
bought a few bits from toyota and put it in, jobs done

there's a thread on h-t forums which details what you need to do and get from toyota as honda want you to buy the entire motor, not the contacts by themselves

JohnnyJohnJohn
18-11-2010, 04:53 PM
try bashing at it with a hammer or something :D worked for me in my old pintara :D this however is only a temporary fix and wont work forever.

Yea I've been doing this lately, works but as you said only short term :(

same thing happened to me, turned out to be worn starter motor contacts
bought a few bits from toyota and put it in, jobs done

there's a thread on h-t forums which details what you need to do and get from toyota as honda want you to buy the entire motor, not the contacts by themselves

Is there a link that you could send me? I have a feeling this maybe the same problem im having.

vinnY
18-11-2010, 04:56 PM
not that hard (http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1318816&highlight=starter+motor) to do some searching on your own :)

JohnnyJohnJohn
18-11-2010, 10:55 PM
not that hard (http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1318816&highlight=starter+motor) to do some searching on your own :)

cheyeahhhhh! thanks mate! will definitely try this out.