PDA

View Full Version : How much and where to get wheel bearing changed?

KonnecXion
16-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Hi Guys,
Just wondering if anyone could refer me to a good place to get the rear wheel bearings changed. I would do it myself, but I don't have any tools here in Melbourne. Do you happen to know the price as well?

My car sounds like its got a warped rotor, but braking does not affect the noise. It makes a very irritating grinding/squeek noise when you are below 30km/h.

Cheers.

vyets
16-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Check if it's your wheel bearing first, jack up the car and wriggle the wheel see if there's any movement.

If it's a squeeking noise it could be the pad wear indicator could be heaps of things but first check the wheel bearing.

Best way to find out an aprox price is to call around and ask for a rough quote how much it would cost to change a wheel bearing, it's more of a generic job the a s2000 specific job so alot of places will be able to do it.

Wheel bearing normally gives of like a whurring sound, where was squeeking is normally worn pads or a rock or someshit stuck somewhere, could even be your heatshield that's bent back and is slightly touching the rotor.

JAP-S2K
16-11-2010, 08:16 PM
A non genuine bearing can be had for under $100. Last time i paid for a genuine one, i think it was about $140. Labour should be no more than 2 hours, that's being generous. If you need a whole hub assembly, i picked one up yesterday, new genuine item $700. Not cheap!

zhong
17-11-2010, 08:36 AM
+1 on Brake pads on wear indicator!

Wheel bearing sounds more like a DEEP WHIRRING sound. But yeh, what vyet said.

Age_S2000
17-11-2010, 06:13 PM
JAP-S2K i just baught a RHR one it was $140 from honda so spot on mate lol

KonnecXion
17-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Check if it's your wheel bearing first, jack up the car and wriggle the wheel see if there's any movement.

If it's a squeeking noise it could be the pad wear indicator could be heaps of things but first check the wheel bearing.

Best way to find out an aprox price is to call around and ask for a rough quote how much it would cost to change a wheel bearing, it's more of a generic job the a s2000 specific job so alot of places will be able to do it.

Wheel bearing normally gives of like a whurring sound, where was squeeking is normally worn pads or a rock or someshit stuck somewhere, could even be your heatshield that's bent back and is slightly touching the rotor.
Initially I thought it was the brake pad, so I've changed it but it still doesn't go away. It's one heck of an annoying sound... It sounds like an old creaking door while I am slowing down to a stop or driving at a constant below 30kmh...