PDA

View Full Version : Honda to stop selling Civic in Japan

clayton4115
16-11-2010, 09:02 PM
The Civic, introduced in 1972, was once Honda's flagship car. The model got bigger over the years and now trails in popularity in Japan to the Fit subcompact and Insight hybrid.

At the height of the Civic's popularity in 1975, Honda sold 177,000 in Japan, and cumulative Civic sales in Japan totalled three million vehicles, according to Honda.

Honda will continue making export models including the gas-electric hybrid Civic at its Suzuka factory in Mie Prefecture, central Japan. The Civic is also being produced at 13 overseas factories, including Greensburg, Indiana.

The model, sold in 160 nations, remains relatively popular in some overseas markets.

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-business/honda-to-stop-selling-civic-in-japan-20101116-17vun.html

~Sp33~
03-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Wow, that's big news.

I wonder how long it is before the name is ceased globally. It's one of the few small cars that've managed to retain their name since creation.

Bulbasaur
03-12-2010, 05:18 PM
i reckon honda fit/jazz are pretty much the new civics now

mocchi
03-12-2010, 06:40 PM

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. how can you compare a jazz to a ek/eg hahaha
noooo the world is doomed.

cheapdouchebag
04-12-2010, 12:44 AM

totally agree and i totally knew this was gunna happen.
the honda fit/jazz wont become the new civics untill at least another 5-6 years. that being our 'ricer' honda tuners love to work with 20 year old eg's 15yr old ek's etc. etc. not as much popularity in working on the 2000 model civics n whatnot. n with the jazz's usability and price, the civic is being beaten.

im 18 at the moment. i bet when i turn 25 there will be kids with k20's in their jazz's n shit haha

Renaissance_x
20-12-2010, 10:54 PM
If they stop making Civic's in Japan modifiers of new age civics wont be able to look to Japan for inspiration.

act_gooner
21-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Every cool car made by Honda has been stopped. Every lame car made by Honda is still being made.

tiksie
21-12-2010, 05:00 PM
If they stop making Civic's in Japan modifiers of new age civics wont be able to look to Japan for inspiration.

Most trends that are followed are usually copied from the US, not Japan.
'
Even the vast majority of people that call their rides "jdm" are completely delusional.

aaronng
22-12-2010, 06:19 AM
Doubt it will cease globally. Most of the world's Civic sedans (except for Japan and USA) come from Thailand. In fact in Asia, the Civic sells so well that there is usually a waiting list of a few months. In my opinion, this will only happen in Japan.

tiksie
22-12-2010, 02:44 PM
aaronng,

The article states that it will only cease in Japan ?

aaronng
22-12-2010, 02:52 PM
aaronng,

The article states that it will only cease in Japan ?
Sorry, my post was in response to everyone else in the thread who was concerned with when the Civic would eventually be killed off globally.

tiksie
22-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Oh, right!

Yeah - I agree.

Renaissance_x
22-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Most trends that are followed are usually copied from the US, not Japan.
'
Even the vast majority of people that call their rides "jdm" are completely delusional.

I know that but even so JDM is always much cooler than "USDM".

tiksie
22-12-2010, 06:55 PM
I know that but even so JDM is always much cooler than "USDM".

A majority of trends in Japan are copied from the U.S aswell haha.. :p

Alvis
28-12-2010, 11:10 PM
wow - just read this article soooo sad :( I think people like me will lose some inspiration from Japan with the Civic no longer being sold in Japan.

And I totally disagree the US sets auto trends - names like Spoon, Mugen, Js Racing and countless others i'm pretty sure they come from Japan, that is, these companies/products are created/made to satisfy a market need; and one thing about the Japanese, is that they always look after their local market before any international market. JDM sets the trend, not USDM.

On the upside - if you own genuine JDM parts they may have just become more rare and valuable

Alvis
28-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Does anyone know anything about this? Someone in QLD has legally imported a FD2R - the first road registered Civic FD2R in Australia?

http://felixalim.com/blog/civic-type-r

90LAN
28-12-2010, 11:22 PM
A majority of trends in Japan are copied from the U.S aswell haha.. :p

all the good usdm cars use/run jdm parts
the usdm scene would be nothing without jdm parts/influence

honda has gone to the shit since soichiro honda died
honda use to be race bred now its green bullshit
so the civic was the last car they could kill off

mugen should take over the performance side of things

Alvis
28-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Yep. If Honda is so worried about being seen as 'green' why do they make a 8,000rpm+ spinning Civic engine? Seriously. I think they need to get over themselves.

As has happened just now in Europe with new emission standards, and it is a shame because like everyone else on this forum I adore Honda n/a high revving engines for their technology, smoothness, sound - I could go on all day - but I'm afraid to say these engines are on their last legs as regulations clamp down on cO2.

In terms of a hero performance car Honda needs to take a good look at Mitsubishi, Subaru and WV. Heck, even Suzuki has the formula right introducing a AWD turbo Kazashi. Why are they so successful? They're making what the market wants (not just a few people like us who want high revving n/a engines, these days are coming to an end imo).

Produce a competively priced AWD, turbo/super 4 cyclinder car because that's what the majority of people now want. Even Formula One is ditching V8s in 2013 for turbo 4 cylinders!! Can you believe that!

Honda need to remember their racing heritage BUT also keep up with the times with developments in engine technology in their road cars. What about Honda's super AWD drive system in the Legend? I heard it was an absolute cracker - why not bring this into a turbo 4 cyl car? Times are a changing. And as Soichiro Honda said 'racing improves the breed' - Honda should look to get back into F1 when the 4cyl turbos come in and use this development in their road cars. Just like Renault has done in their new 250 (inspired from F1).

And from what I've seen in a WRX and Ralliart (Mitsu was absolutely shocking if you've ever sat in one and they want like $43k+! farq me) - Honda can do a heck of a better job in making a quality car.

Holy Frog
04-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Is this not just an interim step for Honda in Japan as they wait to release the 2011 Civic, I wonder. :thumbsup:

They are still selling the bigger models, surely, they need a Civic model sitting between a CR-Z and Accord. :(