PDA

View Full Version : Car exhaust popping/back firing?

mugen_ctr
17-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Hey, recently my car has being having these issues lately, an its annoying, sure it may sound cool now an than, but when ur stuck in traffic, an ppl around you stare at you cause ur car back fired, not cool lol

Only happens when im acclerating than backing off to change gears, yes its normal for any car to back fire a little bit, even my brothers S15 does it, but when it happens often, seems theres a problem

What could cause it?

Symptons also include sluggish acclerating some times, an most notable lack of power at times, an runing rich at times

Only mods are cat back system (2.5) an a custom Cai system

honda_zivic
17-11-2010, 01:06 PM
u mean snap crackle sound?
iif it is its bcoz ur running rich.

mugen_ctr
17-11-2010, 01:15 PM
would running a apexi afc and a tune fix the problem?

honda_zivic
17-11-2010, 01:27 PM
a tune will definitely fix the problem as long as ur tuner adjust ur air/fuel mixture correctly.
also is it blowing abit of black smoke at idle or when u gun it?

mugen_ctr
17-11-2010, 01:38 PM
mite needa invest in one soon

As far as im aware, theres no signs of smoke, or maybe i need a bystander to do a visual check for blk smoke, but from what i see, there isnt any

honda_zivic
17-11-2010, 01:48 PM
u cant really see the smoke. unless sum1 is behind u.
coz my carby lude had the same problem as urs it always make the snap crackle sound like v8 like
when im cuming to red red light to stop n chuk in second gear, it just crackles full on.
sounds mad imo but running rich is not good.

jks24
17-11-2010, 08:41 PM
sometimes mine does it a bit when i back off the throtle, unburnt fuel

I dont have notable lack of power and sluggish acceleration though

t4orce
17-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Despite being tuned and safely leaned out mine sometimes pops as well between gear changes or engine braking to a stop. When in the vtec range there's a fair bit of smoke.

mugen_ctr
17-11-2010, 11:36 PM
well i did expect it to hear the exhaust crackle an pop but i guess runnin rich would cause more of this to happen, but id have to look into a retune to re-alter my afr, atm i have a feeling its running too rich, only averaged 350kms outta a full tank, an 400 if driven very slowly

najdi
18-11-2010, 07:00 AM
Cheap fixes..reset ur ecu, check ur plugs, injector flush properly not just in the tank and full tank of 98 octane n see how that goes man

Limbo
20-11-2010, 11:12 PM
try servicing the car first, usually poping n a stockish car is due to running rich for some reason or ignition problems.
Check timing then Plugs first, then look at dizzy connections points, leads, then ignitor.

TheSaint
21-11-2010, 12:43 AM
i love that sound lol
i get it every now and than but not enough to get worried

i get it ALOT in my subaru - but thats the exhaust gasses from the 2 banks of cylinders hitting each other =D

jase89
22-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Have u got a short ram intake? i have the same symptoms aswell.. It pops when i change gear.. I notice this because when the engine gets really hot and my sri is suckin in hot air then it starts to get abit sluggish at lower rpms, then pops changing gears Also i got an aluminium radiator on top of that hot air into engine.. Thats why im considering getting a cai but abit worried on those rainy days..

mugen_ctr
23-11-2010, 09:17 AM
update....

Put in fuel injector cleaner, always been running 98 octane, resetted the ecu, still no change :(
This leaves only the options of getting a apexi afvc or live with it, most likely ill get the afvc next year to resolve the issue

Ive been running a custom cai, which mite attribute to the richness as well

Riced_Civic
23-11-2010, 09:34 AM
ive got the same thing with my EK

the fuel eco had like dropped b about 100 to 300 a tank now.

but meh i dont mind, sounds sick to me, lols.

Bludger
23-11-2010, 03:40 PM
your engine is retarded.

LOL

no really, it is.

you need to advance the timing a bit because the timing is retarded.

LOL

get it......

never mind, just change the timing.

EK1 Civic
23-11-2010, 07:13 PM
ive got the same thing with my EK

the fuel eco had like dropped b about 100 to 300 a tank now.

but meh i dont mind, sounds sick to me, lols.

WTF i get like 600-650km a tank from my ek. Tats including trashing at the lights occasionally.

I reckon i could get 700km if i drove grandma style =/

mugen_ctr
23-11-2010, 07:21 PM
its ok, until the police start tail gating you lol, im having to change gears around 1.5k rpm to not let it pop, or else epa is the next place ill be visiting

Bludger
24-11-2010, 07:43 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?120425-DIY-Adjusting-Ignition-Timing

Riced_Civic
24-11-2010, 01:41 PM
i frankly dont care about how it hurts the motor or the eco, i was just joining in.

its getting taken out in Feb anyways, im actually trying to kill it, by taking it to heaps of track days

mugen_ctr
24-11-2010, 06:16 PM
i couldnt care less about the eco as well lol, but when the cars ur daily, its a different story to running rich, knowing that ur car gets the same mileage as a evo :(.... an police cracking down on defected vehicles