PDA

View Full Version : EF civic upgrades

nebo run
22-11-2010, 01:45 AM
hey guys, im new to hondas and im keen to learn a bit more about EF and similar civics, specifically setting up for hillclimbing. from what ive read a b16a isnt bolt it, has anyone done it and can share some info on whats required? or is there another better dohc twin cam motor that is an easy conversion? or will i need to find a JDM EF half cut or something. can the stock twin carb motors be made to go half decent? can you use the carby fuel tank with an external pump or do you need to find a jdm efi tank and lines?

can you bolt later model bigger front brakes / disc rear brakes on? or do i need to find JDM EF parts?

there is little info on the web about this, im kinda hoping that its not because no one does it because its too hard and just buys EGs instead.

thanks

nebo run
22-11-2010, 02:28 AM
one of these things

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/660/resized640x480img0205.jpg (http://img24.imageshack.us/i/resized640x480img0205.jpg/)

jdm_b16a
22-11-2010, 04:10 AM
We have a very efficient SEARCH button nebo. If you decide to use it, all your questions will be answered. They've been answered thousands (literally) of times before.

What you have is an ED6 Series 1. Distinguished from the Series 2 easily by the different front indicator lights. The EF was a Japanese Domestic Market model (JDM) which had, amongst other things, different front indicators again, wraparound ones.

Good luck, and this chassis will make a pretty good hillclimber/autocross car - the Yanks use them all the time. Combine a light chassis with a high revving engine like the one you mentioned should be good. My only comment would be you would probably need a bit more low down torque so there's some work to do or look at getting a B18C Type R engine.

Peter

nebo run
22-11-2010, 08:22 AM
thats not actually my car, just a pic of the ones im looking at.. are there different versions avaliable in aus? is series 2 the early 90s ones.. are all of the aus ones the twin carb or are there EFI ones?
i have spent plenty of time in the search pages and from memory i couldnt really find much specific info on this, but thats probabaly because i was searching for ef (lol)
thanks

nebo run
22-11-2010, 08:43 AM
markismaximuss build thread has my part swap answers.

whats the eg d16 like for tourque? seems like a very easy and affordable swap

are the series 2s the ones with the larger clear indicators? are there any differences

markismaximus
22-11-2010, 03:53 PM
whats the eg d16 like for tourque? seems like a very easy and affordable swap

are the series 2s the ones with the larger clear indicators? are there any differences

torque is better than the standard carby motor but its nothing crazy. It's an affordable swap if you can do the work yourself, I wouldn't say its the easiest swap either. Putting a B16A into an EG would be easier.

yes series 2s have larger clear indicators, the front bumper is also different. Some of the differences are in the interior. The real early EDs have a brown interior...

VT3C
22-11-2010, 04:57 PM
for the effort required for a D16 (EG spec) swap, you might as well just bite the bullet and go for a B-series swap becasue you STILL have to change mounts, axles, gearbox and convert all the wiring and fuel system to EFi. it's the same amount of work involved etc.

markismaximus
22-11-2010, 07:46 PM
for the effort required for a D16 (EG spec) swap, you might as well just bite the bullet and go for a B-series swap becasue you STILL have to change mounts, axles, gearbox and convert all the wiring and fuel system to EFi. it's the same amount of work involved etc.

when doing D16 swap you use the original gearbox, mounts, and axles from the ED. not EG stuff

ralph_ef9
22-11-2010, 08:28 PM
efi d16 swap is basic and keep ur budget low.

nebo run
22-11-2010, 11:43 PM
i presume you cant split the engine and body harnesses like on a nissan?
are there any other fuel tanks you can use apart from a CRX one (just would be hard to find)
with a b16a would you have to get custom mounts or can you mix and match ed and eg stuff.. im liking the idea of the d16 swap cause you can do it for realy cheap
also do any EDs have manual steering or are they all PS
sorry for all the Qs ive never touched hondas
thanks

markismaximus
23-11-2010, 07:51 AM
i presume you cant split the engine and body harnesses like on a nissan?
are there any other fuel tanks you can use apart from a CRX one (just would be hard to find)
with a b16a would you have to get custom mounts or can you mix and match ed and eg stuff.. im liking the idea of the d16 swap cause you can do it for realy cheap
also do any EDs have manual steering or are they all PS
sorry for all the Qs ive never touched hondas
thanks

the harness is already split. Engine harness terminates at the shock towers in the engine bay. Shock tower plugs differ between ED-EG civics though

I would think you could use any tank from an imported EF hatch, as they too were all EFI. Probably as hard to find as a CRX tank though. Either that or modify the carby tank or fit an external fuel pump

to fit B16A you need aftermarket mounts such as hasport etc. Axles depend on what car the motor came from. ED stuff cant be used.

I've never seen a manual steering rack on an AUDM ED. I believe they came out in the US though. If ~Sp33~ sees this thread he might know as he has good knowledge of various ED-EF etc models and features

SlobberGoat
23-11-2010, 12:31 PM
The only Aussie ED era car that came without P/S was the EE3 Shuttle.

jdm_b16a
23-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Difference between the Series 1 (1988 ED6 Civic) and the Series 2 (1989-1991 ED6) are mainly cosmetic (indicators, cluster surround, etc). Mechanically they are pretty much the same. Same engine.

Swap to D16Y VTEC is easy and cheap compared to more powerful B Series (B16A, B18A, B18C and even B20VTEC hybrid) which requires brakes, axles, ECU, mounts, and a whole bunch more.

Peter

nebo run
23-11-2010, 05:14 PM
the harness is already split. Engine harness terminates at the shock towers in the engine bay. Shock tower plugs differ between ED-EG civics though

I would think you could use any tank from an imported EF hatch, as they too were all EFI. Probably as hard to find as a CRX tank though. Either that or modify the carby tank or fit an external fuel pump

to fit B16A you need aftermarket mounts such as hasport etc. Axles depend on what car the motor came from. ED stuff cant be used.

I've never seen a manual steering rack on an AUDM ED. I believe they came out in the US though. If ~Sp33~ sees this thread he might know as he has good knowledge of various ED-EF etc models and features

did you use the crv cluster by choice/because it fits or can you use the EG/EH one?
looks like ill do the d16 just cause its so much easier and you can use all original honda stuff pretty much
thanks for clearing some stuff up guys ill probably have more to ask when i start doing it lol

markismaximus
23-11-2010, 05:42 PM
did you use the crv cluster by choice/because it fits or can you use the EG/EH one?
looks like ill do the d16 just cause its so much easier and you can use all original honda stuff pretty much
thanks for clearing some stuff up guys ill probably have more to ask when i start doing it lol

need to use the CRV cluster because D16Y1 uses electric speedo, unlike the D15B4 in the ED.

EG cluster doesnt fit so you cant use it