PDA

View Full Version : Hondata S300 Calibrations

nickk
24-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi guys,

I think this might be an unknown area for most on here but here it goes anyway...

I decided to set up the CEL Shift Light and Launch control in SManager yesterday.
I noticed that my tacho reads higher than what the ECU datalogs.
For example, I set the shift light at 7,700rpm "Ctrl-U it" to the ECU and the tacho will reach 8,300rpm before the shift light comes on.
Has anyone noticed this before?
I have an EK4 with a 1.8L B16B with an EK9 Cluster if that makes any difference.

p.s. please don't lecture me on how dangerous adjusting tables for the fun of it is... I haven't touched them + I'm not retarded :D

DLO01
24-11-2010, 01:00 PM
The Ecu is telling the CEL to come on at 7700rpm correctly. It is the tacho itself that is inacurate (showing 8300rpm).

nickk
24-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Hmm so this whole time I thought I was hitting 8 grand when in reality its only around 7300 or so. haha wow

ECU-MAN
25-11-2010, 01:46 PM
yep

you where not getting maximum ponies

try hitting the rev limit. see what the tacho says

nickk
25-11-2010, 02:02 PM
The rev limit's set at 8300rpm.. I think, I don't like touching it intentionally lol... I get scared! I got a feeling the tacho will show 9k+, I think the higher the revs are, the further the tacho is out.

pinoy-boi
25-11-2010, 02:05 PM
my ecu has a 6k rev cut, but smetimes my defi taco shows 6200 and i still hvent hit rev cut.. my shift light was set to 5400 but ive now set it to 5900rpm

nickk
25-11-2010, 02:58 PM
that's weird, I didn't realise that the tacho's could be out like that. I wonder if there is any possibility of recalibrating..

DLO01
25-11-2010, 07:51 PM
No tacho is accurate.

TODA AU
26-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Not sure if this is helpful, but in my experience I find Honda factory tacho's optomistic at best.
They're pretty accurate to around 3500rpm then start to get a bit entusiastic, overtaking the actual engine rpm but varying but often significant amounts.
1000rpm error at 8500rpm (actual engine speed) is not unusual. It's probably becuase they are driven by the prince of darkness hanging off the side of the cylinder head.
Best thing is to use a quality tacho like Defi (Nippon Seki) if you must know or just rely on the shift light.
Dean's right, no tacho is accurate at all rpms, just some are better than others.
The factory one should be considered an approximation guage rather than an exact or actual guage... Realisticly they're relativly crap when compared to a good aftermarket units.

nickk
04-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Not sure if this is helpful, but in my experience I find Honda factory tacho's optomistic at best.
They're pretty accurate to around 3500rpm then start to get a bit entusiastic, overtaking the actual engine rpm but varying but often significant amounts.
1000rpm error at 8500rpm (actual engine speed) is not unusual. It's probably becuase they are driven by the prince of darkness hanging off the side of the cylinder head.
Best thing is to use a quality tacho like Defi (Nippon Seki) if you must know or just rely on the shift light.
Dean's right, no tacho is accurate at all rpms, just some are better than others.
The factory one should be considered an approximation guage rather than an exact or actual guage... Realisticly they're relativly crap when compared to a good aftermarket units.

bumped because this is good info.
LOL at the prince of darkness hanging off the side, so true..