haha changing throttle body or intake manifold, does that help anything? lol
i just wanna do something to do car really -_-

anyone any idea feel free to talk here =]
share some ideas
thanks~

mugen_ctr
24-11-2010, 06:13 PM
get the N-power headers on ebay, best bang for buck headers u can find

jus get a high flow cat an that should do the trick.

TB isnt worth the hassle, not gonna make any differance, only reason you would change it is if ur chasing bigger power, same thing with intake manifolds

If u really wanna make the car fun, do the suspension an chassis work, an it will change the car completely

dougie_504
24-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Don't change your TB or IM. Finish the exhaust first :)

Mkx
24-11-2010, 08:30 PM
headers will make your accel smoother (yes definately worth it, as mugen_ctr says) and fuel eco up about 20% if you drive normal

N-power 4-2-1 stainless steel headers are about $160 delivered

adding a aftermarket hi-flow cat will give very small additional hp (not worth it if its just N/A tune about $80+ for avg 5hp??) and car will sound louder

only mods i done are DC sports 4-2-1 stainless steel, AEM v2 cai, SuperCat 4" stainless steel (same specs as MagnaFlow) exhaust and car is quiet. quieter than a lawn mower (75db) on idle and when pushing it. all i can hear is the air whooshing sound after i installed the headers

car goes smoother, harder, eats less petrol (i find running 95 RON really good after I/H/E installed 91 is satisfactory or if you cheap)

all up spent $200 on headers (new in box), $300 on cai (new in box), $50 exhaust (used but very good condition, $30 to weld on pro)

that's total under $600 on mods n statisfied

as dougie_504 said don't change TB or IM (in my opinion waste of money, costs alot and get barely anything much if its d16)

better save your money for another car or engine swap or do suspension work like mugen_ctr says

i'd install longer sway bars rather then struts but i find it a waste on d16s (unless you getting type r b or k swap), i rather save the money

baoanh
24-11-2010, 08:32 PM
ook so i should get Npower then haha but will it straight fit into the car? or i need to send it to other people to install it T_T cause i want to DIY and save some money!

Mkx
24-11-2010, 09:17 PM
i don't like the wields on the N-power (should fit) from the pics i've seen my DC-sports (perfect tight fit) have much better wields (orginally $400+ and still is) but really it's up to you they seem ok i guess.

you can DIY intall the headers i did it mine myself and with the help of a mate (took 4 hours and heaps of swearing).

i bought some manifold seal tube about just under $20 from any auto store put it on the edges before i installed.

you can use the stock o2 bung (if not supplied with headers) needs a 22" wrench to get off - can't use socket cause of the electrical line (i think it's 22" for d16s, better check) can get it from hardware $20- $40 (once you done refund it back to the hardware lol)

note: taking the bung off required a hammer, kicking, heaps swearing, heaps of patience as it was like superman glued in (it may be easier for others)

not sure but will need 12" socket to take the bolts n nuts off on heat shield and headers and i think 14" for the bottom behind the oil pan

note: once installed, and started, you may smell bad exhaust and or see some grey exhaust. i'm guessing too much air as you left the block exposed to the open (could be wrong). what i think is happening really is the ecu adjusting itself. don't need any tuning, the ecu will readjust itself. for me took 3 weeks driving about 2hrs a day 1 hr in mornin n arvo for the ecu to 'completely adjust'

note: you will hear whooshing air sound after installing headers, this is normal and sounds mad, but not as mad as turbo or sc.

note: drive in all types of modes with heater on low n high with ac on low n high, after headers intalled, so the ecu can adjust the a/f mix or else when u do run say ac max for first time u will feel your car like it's going to turn off and when accel you won't be going anywhere lol. rip it and drive normally as well to get the ecu to adjust so it's ready for it nxt time round.

dougie_504
24-11-2010, 10:55 PM
I think if you don't get a hi-flow cat with the size matched to your header and cat-back (the standard cat is sure to be smaller than both) then you're wasting time doing your header, because the flow will just get restricted at the cat again. Just do it :)

Mkx
24-11-2010, 11:26 PM
the stock cat is fine

a high flow cat it's still going to be restricted, however there are minimal gains with the expense of extra fuel used when in higher rpms to feel the little gain = waste of money

a straight through resonator for the same price or cheaper no cat no restriction = max flow (resonator quiets the car maximises air flow as there is no cat)

there are also test pipes (just pipe) = max flow (makes your car extremely loud making cops unhappy)

note: having no cat may be illegal but if you put a heat shield on it, when it gets inspected, noone will notice from afar (engine light might come on)

note: there is loss of bottom end but increase in top end power for hi-flow cats, test pipes and straight through resonators. (engine light might come on)

you will need some restriction (silencer or stock cat) if you want low end power (saves petrol don't need to go higher revs to zip about in city traffic)

here's a thread about hi-flow cats and yes there is gains (very minimal)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?117267-necessity-of-a-high-flow-cat

baoanh
25-11-2010, 12:07 AM
so Mkx, u rekon if i just get a Npower header, it should be enough? i'm not sure if the N'power would fit the stock cat, thats what im worry about >.<

another question should i lower my car? LOL!!!!! when i think of lowering, i want it to be done for better handle than a look -_- most people said king spring is only for look HAHA

AE092
25-11-2010, 12:36 AM
They said 'cause it's true. King springs have about the same spring rate from factory (unless you custom order). If you are after handling and lowering then coilovers would be your best bet as they generally are stiffer and have the adjustment to get your car to the desired ride height.

baoanh
25-11-2010, 12:47 AM
i don't know much about it T_T i'm planning to get my Header done~ wondering if anyone can help me out =]
anyone? >.<

Mkx
25-11-2010, 08:44 AM
check the size of your cat, i'm unsure about the N-power inlet best to ask i think stock cat is 2.25" (unsure better you measure yourself before buying)

usually it's made to fit directly to stock so it's just direct bolt on.

check the engines it's compatible for or ask the seller if it will fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CIVIC-EG-EK-CRX-1-6-D15-D16-STAINLESS-EXHAUST-HEADER-/160372782714?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2556f6767a

is that the one? if so you have 2 places you can place your O2 bung, it's better you put it near the end before the cat (less heat won't destroy the bung faster and more oxygen done there)

there's also http://cgi.ebay.com.au/D16-Stainless-steel-HEADER-EXTRACTOR-HONDA-CIVIC-EG-EK-/130457993286?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5fe70046

which is 4-1 if you're just after high end

4-2-1 will give you low and mid

or if you're planning turbo i saw this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JASMA-Turbo-Manifold-Header-T3-Flange-D15-D16-Tial-Wast-/330496630615?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf3225f57

it's simple to install DIY , feel free to ask

note: there are headers wrap (strongly suggest you don't do it) it will kill your headers very quickly

this might help it's got photos and intructions:

http://digmyhonda.com/megan-4-2-1-header-installation-diy/

use it as a guide

as for lowering your car coilovers (as AE092 said) is the best option. you can adjust the height easily rather then just springs.

a popular coilovers are the TEIN ones

i'd only do suspension if there was a k or b high end swap but that's just me sway bars (about $200) are the way to go (struts are ok but not as effective as sways)

here's what someone did:

http://importnut.net/swaybar.htm

you can also find headers install and engine swap on that site

in easy terms, with stock sways.. if you go around abend fast enough your car will lean or almost flip to one side.

with longer sway bars, (do a search to get the best length people have played around with) you can go speed around same bend but your car won't lean or almost flip as bad as stock (most likely your car will stick to the ground since it's more rigid then lean) so your body feels like it's going on a straight rd rather then leaning in a big bend making a comfy drive

note: get new bushings if you're doing sways it's on sale right now at auto stores

TheSaint
25-11-2010, 10:24 AM
if u wanna lower ur car but you dont want something too crazy - get the Tein S-Tech springs - they are about 1" drop and provide damn good handeling for the price

ur stock shocks will probably die really quick with lowered springs on them tho - so if u can get some shocks to go with it u will be happy - skunk2 make some good cheap sport shocks

or just go all out and get some coilovers =D

dougie_504
25-11-2010, 04:25 PM
the stock cat is fine

a high flow cat it's still going to be restricted, however there are minimal gains with the expense of extra fuel used when in higher rpms to feel the little gain = waste of money

a straight through resonator for the same price or cheaper no cat no restriction = max flow (resonator quiets the car maximises air flow as there is no cat)

there are also test pipes (just pipe) = max flow (makes your car extremely loud making cops unhappy)

note: having no cat may be illegal but if you put a heat shield on it, when it gets inspected, noone will notice from afar (engine light might come on)

note: there is loss of bottom end but increase in top end power for hi-flow cats, test pipes and straight through resonators. (engine light might come on)

you will need some restriction (silencer or stock cat) if you want low end power (saves petrol don't need to go higher revs to zip about in city traffic)

here's a thread about hi-flow cats and yes there is gains (very minimal)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?117267-necessity-of-a-high-flow-cat

I only read about 2 1/2 pages of that thread, but the general consensus appeared to be that the cat is the most restrictive part of an exhaust, and also that a high-flow cat will increase power and is worthwhile.

Why would you bother doing your header and cat-back, but not the cat?

To the OP: Go on Ebay and buy a 100 cel hi-flow cat converter. You can get them new for about $170.

baoanh
25-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I LIVE IN MELBOURNE!! IF ANYONE WILLING TO HELP ME OUT AND LIVING IN MELBOURNE TOO THANKS AHAHAHAHA
i think i will jsut get Npower header and a Magnaflow high flow cat 2.25'

what u guys think ?

dougie_504
25-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Didn't you say you live in Box Hill?

baoanh
25-11-2010, 08:02 PM
yea!!! hahaha

Mkx
26-11-2010, 08:49 AM
I only read about 2 1/2 pages of that thread, but the general consensus appeared to be that the cat is the most restrictive part of an exhaust, and also that a high-flow cat will increase power and is worthwhile.

Why would you bother doing your header and cat-back, but not the cat?

To the OP: Go on Ebay and buy a 100 cel hi-flow cat converter. You can get them new for about $170.

you get much more low end power, which is much more favourable in heavy traffic so you don't have to step on the gas so much (money saver).

sure reving your car into higher rpms is fun, really it's up to you, i'd just prefer a linear torque (more low end which most older honda's lack so much of) curve to vtec than an exponential one (most older hondas are like this) for a much smoother drive.

plus the 4-2-1 design is meant for low n mid, add hi-flow cat, and you will lose that low n mid and all go into high

again it's up to you want to want, like i said i want alot more low grunt than high.

baoanh
26-11-2010, 09:45 AM
i went to my machanic this morning, and we had a little chat on it he said even if i change header and cat to 2.25", the rest of my pipe on catback still 2" which mean theres restriction therefore it makes not much different really unless i change the catback to 2.25"
and he said including installing and the 2.25" pipe for catback, its gonna cost me 300~500 to install it -_-

EK1 Civic
26-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Out of curiosity reading how to replace the headers seemed very straight forward. Was thinking of just getting an exhaust shop to do me a b-pipe and install everything myself. Then i realised the cat and muffler needs to be welded on =/ gg

baoanh
26-11-2010, 11:51 AM
yea i realize that even if i change my header and cat, the rest of the pipe is not 2.25" + i don't even know the size of Npower header too

dougie_504
26-11-2010, 01:19 PM
i went to my machanic this morning, and we had a little chat on it he said even if i change header and cat to 2.25", the rest of my pipe on catback still 2" which mean theres restriction therefore it makes not much different really unless i change the catback to 2.25"
and he said including installing and the 2.25" pipe for catback, its gonna cost me 300~500 to install it -_-

Hey man,

I'm 90% sure that the N*Power header is 2" - perfect for your engine.

Get a 2" hi-flow cat to suit. Don't worry about your low-mid range power. You drive a SOHC D-series engine and have virtually none to begin with, so you may as well chase some top-end power IMO :)

I recommend getting it installed by an exhaust shop (I'll SMS you a place I've tried and think is good) because they might need to installed some flex-pipe and flanges to make it all fit.
You already have a muffler don't you? So the piping for the cat-back won't be too expensive.

To install header, cat and cat-back cost my brother about $100. I Paid $140 to have flex pipe, high-flow cat, flanges and cat-back (including some pipe welding) all installed.

So maybe $160 for the N*Power header - delivered.
Probably a hi-flow cat converter from Ebay like this one (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HIGH-FLOW-MAGNAFLOW-2-INCH-CATALYTIC-CONVERTER-/170406725933?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ad08492d#ht_960wt_754) for around $125 + $22 postage.
Then all you need to do is ask the exhaust shop for a good cat-back pipe + installation of the header and cat.

EK1 Civic
26-11-2010, 01:23 PM
inlet is 1.5" and outlet is 2" on the n*power ones

I got quoted for $300 to install headers, cat, muffler and for a 2" inch b-pipe that was mild steel press bent. Pm me the number to. Need a stainless press or mandrel bent b-pipe :D

baoanh
26-11-2010, 02:07 PM
**** man wanna meet up and we go install together to see if we can get cheaper price? hahahaha who knows cause 2 car will cost cheaper =]

EK1 Civic
26-11-2010, 02:20 PM
**** man wanna meet up and we go install together to see if we can get cheaper price? hahahaha who knows cause 2 car will cost cheaper =]

Im still waiting to get paid and searching around for quotes atm plus my mechanic just called me now, saying i can do your timing belt this weekend =/ so now its probably gonna happen in 2 more weeks on next payment LOL.

dougie_504
26-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I need an install too for my Civic haha.

PM'd EK1. Go mandrel :)

baoanh
26-11-2010, 03:58 PM
so whats going on! i called up performance exhaust and they said it gonna cost me 300 to install header and cat if i supply both to them, if i get cat from them include installing for header too and piping gonna cost 605
which i rekon gettting cat from ebay is cheaper hahah
2" all the way what u guys think HAAH

dougie_504
26-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Sounds like BS my brother and I paid nowhere near that <confused>

cihanvtec
26-11-2010, 04:53 PM
if you really want the cheaper option, put a test pipe.. max flow and very cheap.. BUT having said that, it is very illegal and the tree huggers arent going to be happy either. if u are interested, pm me for details, a guy supplied and installed one for my mate for 40 bux

najdi
26-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Turbo it :d

baoanh
27-11-2010, 07:02 AM
does ur friend do installation? if i provide cat and resonator and header? i mean does he have 2" pipe? LOL

dougie_504
27-11-2010, 08:42 AM
2" pipe you'll be best getting from an exhaust shop. Part of the reason I suggested Performance Exhaust is because I know their piping has a good wall thickness, but like I said I'm surprised they wanted so much $$$ for install because it doesn't seem in line with that my brother, friends and I have all recently paid.

Also I wouldn't bother with a resonator. Will make your car a little quieter but will restrict the exhaust flow just a tiny bit - since you have an XForce twinloop I think your exhaust will be quiet enough as it is?

tiksie
27-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Wire tuck! LOL, nothing performance wise, but damn is it a good feeling once you're done.

baoanh
27-11-2010, 11:48 AM
thesaint told me to get the hot dog one or else, just do header first! i;m planing to do header first tho wanna help me to install too? u know ure a nice guy :P

baoanh
27-11-2010, 11:49 AM
maybe i will go exhaust performance with u next time hows that sounds to u :P