PDA

View Full Version : Chain maintenance

night_wolf
26-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Ladies & Gentleducks!

recently was speaking to a mate overseas who happens to be a motocross fanatic and was discussing chain and sprocket maintenance.

what i am about to suggest is something iv already tried and seen a difference.

he suggested that i take the chain off, soak it in petrol and using a brush, clean every inch till its brand spanking new.

get a old wok, grease (not to thick not to thin). take chain and coil up and place cleaned chain in the wok and heat on a stove, place a generous amount of grease on top of the chain, using a plier flip chain over, again place more grease on the other side.

allow grease to melt while moving the chain around the wok to get the grease into each part of the chain. once you feel that the chain has been greased well. take chain out of the wok and leave to cool, uncoiled.

once cooled, shake off the excess grease by knocking chain on a fence for example. check sprockets for wear and tear, place chain back on.

you will notice that the chain life increases with this method and that one sprocket set will last a good 2 chains. also a significant difference in riding noticed. this method allows all parts of the chain unlike just using your finger to get the grease on the chain and chain to be greased only once every 6 months. in between you can still use the finger method.

hope this information helps! any questions please feel free to ask. i shall try to post up some pics next time i do this.:honda:

Twincam16
26-11-2010, 08:12 PM
+rep

Great writeup and definetly something anyone that has a DIY bone can do...

ICACHA
26-11-2010, 10:12 PM
and what does your mate suggest for chains that are riveted on, chuck the whole bike in the wok? :)

chain cleaner with a a hard brissled brush works wonders for me. i use motul chain cleaner and (cant remember the name) chain wax which doesnt fling and vuplex to clean the bike.

dogcrapau
27-11-2010, 08:45 AM
ICACHA makes a point, hahah
why so much hassle for though seriously.
whats wrong with just some chain cleanr and spin th wheel as you lube? just do it more frequently and keep it atthe right tension should keep it maintained long and well

Type R Positive
27-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Yes, that is for dirtbike chains, THAT ARE NON O-RING! That's what they been doing since the start of time with bikes, this is nothing new. It is even in new mx bike manuals!

Do not, I repeat, do not do this with an o-ring chain. You'll be up for a new chain if you do something so stupid with an o-ring chain.

For o-ring chains, the lube is sealed in the chain. That is the whole point of the o-rings. You can lube the o-rings with chain wax, but never use CRC or WD40, as these are penetrants, and will seep through the seal, dissolve the lube, and shorten the life of your chain.

night_wolf
08-12-2010, 05:19 PM
TYPE R POSTITIVE your spot on mate....

its not about the cleaning and the lube placed on the chain. its about allowing the lube to get into those little places that need protection. the grease will prevent sand and dust from wearing out the rings on the chain thus allowing the sprockets to have a longer life.

too be honest i used this method on my weekend ride a Spada VTR 250. unlike when the lube is applied on the chain using the "spin wheel place finger with grease on chain method", the lube stays on the chain even after hard riding.

up to you boys....was just sharing some intel.

THANKS FOR THE REPPY TWINCAM cheers

blayun_rr
15-01-2011, 12:03 AM
One thing to remember when doing chain maintenance, dont get lazy and clean it with the engine running while on a stand and in gear. Shit will definitely happen :) seen plenty of threads with the outcome.

ICACHA
16-01-2011, 10:26 PM
oh no a big black spray of grease up the garage door and ceiling hahaha

Type R Positive
17-01-2011, 09:49 AM
One thing to remember when doing chain maintenance, dont get lazy and clean it with the engine running while on a stand and in gear. Shit will definitely happen :) seen plenty of threads with the outcome.Yeah, I know one of my mates lost a finger doing that. Not good....

Type R Positive
17-01-2011, 10:04 AM
unlike when the lube is applied on the chain using the "spin wheel place finger with grease on chain method", the lube stays on the chain even after hard riding. Who does that? That's just asking to loose a finger....
What's wrong with chain lube/wax? It's been specifically for the job of both lubrication, and staying on your chain!

As I said before, your method is great for non-oring chains. We just used to wash in petrol, then soak in old engine oil. We then just hung them up till time for next ride.

This is a lot harder for those with road bikes, not only because they are usually o-ringed, but also because you are asking for trouble if you are not using a riveted master link, especially with the power of a road bike.

bennjamin
17-01-2011, 03:11 PM
anyone use actual gearbox oil as recommended via every motorbike workshop manual ive read thru ?

Type R Positive
17-01-2011, 09:21 PM
anyone use actual gearbox oil as recommended via every motorbike workshop manual ive read thru ?with most wet clutch bikes, the gearbox oil is engine oil. I used to use it with my 2 strokes, non-o-ring chain.

gumbs
19-01-2011, 04:46 PM
One thing to remember when doing chain maintenance, dont get lazy and clean it with the engine running while on a stand and in gear. Shit will definitely happen :) seen plenty of threads with the outcome.

Why the f*** not? I'm not retarded enough to put my fingers in the chain. Bike on race stand, start it. Click it in to first and let the bike turn the wheel at idle while you spray it. You'd have to be a moron to **** it up.

bennjamin
19-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Why the f*** not? I'm not retarded enough to put my fingers in the chain. Bike on race stand, start it. Click it in to first and let the bike turn the wheel at idle while you spray it. You'd have to be a moron to **** it up.

I don't think most people who have ****ed up are morons...accidents DO happen. The point is NOT to suggest such things on a public forum when ANYONE can read it and tke it to gospel - **** Jo and blame YOU for suggesting so. You could also get sued so be careful on why you suggest !

Type R Positive
19-01-2011, 08:32 PM
my mate that is minus a finger said that too. Accidents happen.

mykool_itr
20-01-2011, 03:29 AM

yes Do not clean bike chain while its on a bike stand and engine running in first gear. my cousin copped it the hard way, now he is 3 and half fingers with a thumb on the right hand