PDA

View Full Version : I found something weird

chichichibo
29-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Hi, everyone, today, i found something weird on my FD2's engine.....
and i found an article saying this: "- look around the oil filler cap for a white mayonnaise-like substance - this is an indication of a damaged head gasket which can be very expensive to put right"

May i ask, if the thing that i found is the thing that the article mentioned? If so, is it serious? should i fix it asap?
If no, is there anyone know what is the substance that i found on my car?
I have enclosed the picture with the substance found (Circle)....
thanks everyone...

duzy
29-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Touch it, if its rubbery/soft, then its just the valve cover sealant. ( dont peel it off)
Only oil can leak from that area, nothing else. the head gasket is located below where you pointed out.

Take off ur oil cap and have a look inside, oil should look normal and not white/milky like

There's nothing to worry about

bennjamin
29-11-2010, 07:39 PM
its sealant mate. No need to worry about it

chichichibo
29-11-2010, 10:08 PM
so, that is just the sealant?? oh....thanks god.....i was worrying if that is any serious problem.....
Re Duzy: yes, it's soft, and there is some oil leadk around the edge as well....(Picture)
for the oil leak on the edge, do i need to fix it? will it eventually become a serious oil leakage in the future?

and, for the sealant that pop out, should i just leave it? or should i do sth with it (replace the sealant)?

curtis265
29-11-2010, 10:45 PM
looks like the gasket sealant to me..

edit: oh wait that's been said.

just leave it IMO.

chichichibo
30-11-2010, 12:00 AM
looks like the gasket sealant to me..

edit: oh wait that's been said.

just leave it IMO.

Re Curtis: so, what is the difference between head gasket and gasket?
So, if it is only the gasket sealant, then it wont be a matter?
the statement that "look around the oil filler cap for a white mayonnaise-like substance - this is an indication of a damaged head gasket which can be very expensive to put right"
is not relevant in my case, am i right?

bennjamin
30-11-2010, 05:52 AM
Re Curtis: so, what is the difference between head gasket and gasket?
So, if it is only the gasket sealant, then it wont be a matter?
the statement that "look around the oil filler cap for a white mayonnaise-like substance - this is an indication of a damaged head gasket which can be very expensive to put right"
is not relevant in my case, am i right?

No , you have no reason to worry.

Headgasket is a thin mSetal gasket in the shape of the cylinder layout ( for example ,4cyl has 4 big holes in line) it can come
In a few layers. It is located just where the head meets the engine block - exactly just below the intake manifold or exhaust manifold.

The term "gasket" can refer to any metal/paper/liquid gasket or seal between two mating surfaces , tightened by bolts or nuts. These are found all through the engine.

chichichibo
30-11-2010, 09:36 AM
No , you have no reason to worry.

Headgasket is a thin mSetal gasket in the shape of the cylinder layout ( for example ,4cyl has 4 big holes in line) it can come
In a few layers. It is located just where the head meets the engine block - exactly just below the intake manifold or exhaust manifold.

The term "gasket" can refer to any metal/paper/liquid gasket or seal between two mating surfaces , tightened by bolts or nuts. These are found all through the engine.

Thanks a lot!
But there is minor oil leaking from the sealant in my case, so is it a matter to be fixed?
Will it eventually become a serious oil leaking? Should I fix that sealant part?

blastnpast
18-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Lol at the fact you were ment to look around the oil filter cap ? Not anywhere else :) funny guy!

chichichibo
19-12-2010, 05:30 AM
Lol at the fact you were ment to look around the oil filter cap ? Not anywhere else :) funny guy!

i saw an article previously refering to the white substance, and i am not sure of those on my car, thats why i want to clarify it.......
diu lar ma